"Wasteland is harsh"
Home Forum Help Login Register
  • May 07, 2024, 09:17:01 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Play WikiBoy BugTracker Developer's blog
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 14

Author Topic: Roleplaying in FOnline:2238  (Read 49951 times)

Andr3aZ

• Endless forum lurker
Re: Roleplaying in FOnline:2238
« Reply #30 on: September 14, 2011, 03:16:06 pm »

Another problem I often encounter is that people dont wanna restrain themselves with RP-borders.
They just don't see the sense in hunting brahmin and geckos to craft those neat jackets and armors if they can simply farm HQ mats for BA-crafting, but this is what you basically do as RP-huntsmen. Sure there are people who have fun with this kind of gaming but much people only think about having the best of the best of the best, as how gamers nowadays usally think.

Same goes for character abilities. Why be only decent at shooting if you can be a professional marksman? Why only be able to craft home-made shotguns when you can be a professional ballistics engineer?
« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 03:18:03 pm by Andr3aZ »

headshot

• Killian
« Reply #31 on: September 14, 2011, 03:19:31 pm »

You've just met wrong people, LagMaster. Seems like you can't do proper RP with Polish students. ;)

The so-called RP projects needs a Game Master support as well, since most of the server's population is for PvP. But forcing people to RP means facism itself. It's natural that people enjoyng the game as they want. So instead of whining about lack of RP do something.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 03:25:50 pm by headshot »
« Reply #32 on: September 14, 2011, 03:25:17 pm »

I have to disagree with you there look, language may change but I doubt it will involve "teh" and "lulz" How often do you actually see people say things like that in real life?

As to the topic of roleplaying I roleplay on a few characters and I have to say that surf's idea about roleplaying is...wrong in my opinion.  People's lack of knowledge about PnP has little to do with roleplaying in Fonline, nor do I understand how you could come up with such statements as "Most of the people talking in here apparently never heard of a proper pen and paper session, or let alone emulations of it."  How can you make that statement when PnP roleplaying has absolutely nothing to do with Fonline and as such you were the only one that brought it up?

Roleplaying can be quite fun in Fonline, but it can also be very time consuming to get a decent one going and a few ...assholes I mean Raider Roleplayers can ruin it in a few seconds.

Look

• Man bites man
« Reply #33 on: September 14, 2011, 03:27:40 pm »

I have to disagree with you there look, language may change but I doubt it will involve "teh" and "lulz" How often do you actually see people say things like that in real life?

I already see younger generation saying LOL, win, epic and all other shit that came from net, way I see it, more generations that spend half of their day on internet will start to use more internet expressions.

Also on topic of roleplaying, you don't go around and talk to strangers in your town, so if you would want to create proper RP atmosphere you got to accept this is post nuclear time where people want to take your can of food, not hear your life story.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 03:32:29 pm by Look »

Eternauta

• Beyond repair.
    • Crazy 88 Official Forum
« Reply #34 on: September 14, 2011, 03:53:00 pm »

this serious discussion I'm following very interested.

Thanks, I am glad to see serious RPers interested in this :)

That's why this game has so many trolls, people are getting really bored, really fast, there is nothing out there for them to do.

I read that almost every day on this forum, however people don't really leave the game for real, they keep playing while whining, or wait until wipe while whining :P

@RavenousRat, zuhardu: you should eventually understand that your ideas of what roleplaying means is far from being accurate.
Just read what A concerned wastelander said, it's about not being yourself, but about defining your character's personality. Not acting from what you (the player) know, but instead from what the character is supposed to know.

Before you accuse the comunity give it a chance, we don't need role playing projects, this whole game should be a role playing project.

Who said no one gives you a chance? you can start roleplaying whenever you want, and see how others react and understand that the community is not "ready" for it. The majority of the playerbase doesn't know what roleplaying is, or has a deformed view of it, so they are not ready - but don't say you are not given a chance because no GM will ban you for roleplaying: it's your fellow players who will ruin your RP.

I love that all of you share your opinions, no matter what that may be, and discuss about them, but remember that the original point of this thread was to talk about how to deal with technical aspects of 2238 (like alting) when roleplaying :)

I personally believe that while RPing, alting should be handled in a way similar to what A concerned wastelander said: if I had more than one character inside a RP project, every alt would have a different personality and his/her role would depend on the build (some obvious ones - powerbuild: town guard, soldier; crafter: gunsmith, mechanic). Also, the characters would NOT share their knowledge as in a shared consciousness becuase, well, they are not the same person.

Imo, avv's approach makes the character too overpowered (the "same" person can fight, craft, sneak, enslave, lead, steal, etc.) for roleplaying.

...much people only think about having the best of the best of the best...

(...)

Same goes for character abilities. Why be only decent at shooting if you can be a professional marksman? Why only be able to craft home-made shotguns when you can be a professional ballistics engineer?

Exactly! Especially when it's about gear only used by, say, NCR elite soldiers or Brotherhood of Steel paladins. But it's like I said on some other thread, players want moar productivity, the best gear, instant success, etc. Imo, just seeing a "Redding guard" in Brotherhood Armor and Light Support Weapon breaks the RP.

The so-called RP projects needs a Game Master support as well, since most of the server's population is for PvP.

I agree, but even in that case "anti-RP" people would still annoy with GMABOOZ posts and stuff like that...

As to the topic of roleplaying I roleplay on a few characters and I have to say that surf's idea about roleplaying is...wrong in my opinion. (...) ow can you make that statement when PnP roleplaying has absolutely nothing to do with Fonline and as such you were the only one that brought it up?

Have you ever tried PnP roleplaying? If you have, I bet you understand that it is a true roleplaying experience. You have your character, the game master is narrating the situations, etc. PnP gives you a lot of RP "skill" and even if FOnline is very different from PnP, chances are a player with a lot of PnP experience will make a very decent roleplayer, while a player with no PnP experience would ".eshit on mouth" and say he's a roleplayer that nobody understands.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 03:55:48 pm by Eternauta »

headshot

• Killian
« Reply #35 on: September 14, 2011, 04:06:42 pm »

"Redding Guards" with LSWs are just product of action-reaction rule. If agressors are well equipped, guards have to be well equipped too to defend the place where people can do their RP. Otherwise, place will suddenly fall and the dream dies.
« Reply #36 on: September 14, 2011, 04:08:40 pm »

Just placing uncommon piece of equipement or dragging uncommon mercs to some common place could lead into very intresting event. And dont tell me that GM cant do what rich player can do.

Glow was hell of a fun first days and so is sometimes merc camped gecko mine. Bring us more eventz and dungeonz! And ban trollz from them. (except of ravenous rat. he iz pr0 tro11)
Kill them all and let the god sort them out.

Eternauta

• Beyond repair.
« Reply #37 on: September 14, 2011, 04:16:33 pm »

"Redding Guards" with LSWs are just product of action-reaction rule. If agressors are well equipped, guards have to be well equipped too to defend the place where people can do their RP. Otherwise, place will suddenly fall and the dream dies.

Come on, Killian, you know I understand why you were using that gear :P It's not "your" fault, I understand it's because enemies would go and crush the RPers using da best gear themselves.

But well, it is always hard to create something, but easy to destroy it.

Grommok

• Desert Ranger
« Reply #38 on: September 14, 2011, 04:25:22 pm »

As you said, hard to do, easy to burn down.
You can try with all your forces to RP, but as long the community doesnt atleast ignore it (actually the only thing they do is kill you, and leave brahmin shit over your corpse) it's impossible to make something that lasts.
Quote from: Grommok
Chi si ritira dalla lotta
E' un gran figlio di mignotta!

Eternauta

• Beyond repair.
« Reply #39 on: September 14, 2011, 04:31:23 pm »

The part that I don't understand is why all those "anti-RP" people play a game like this. If you are interested in combat, there are games which are a lot better than this one in that sense, and where you don't even need to spend time levelling a char, getting proper gear...
« Last Edit: September 15, 2011, 01:42:26 am by Eternauta »

Grommok

• Desert Ranger
« Reply #40 on: September 14, 2011, 04:48:45 pm »

Naaah, COD is too hard for all those brainless anti-rp guys. You must have reflexes, while in FOnline you mustnt.

jonny rust

• Caravan Dan
« Reply #41 on: September 14, 2011, 05:13:57 pm »

The part that I don't understand is why all those "anti-RP" people play a game like this. If you are interested in combat, the are games which are a lot better than this one in that sense, and where you don't even need to spend time levelling a char, getting proper gear...

that has been my point for a long time as well. Fallout has always been an RPG and to have 'fans' who don't enjoy RP is strange to me. But then again I'm sure that there are similar 'fallouts' on D&D servers.

The problem is that RPG's are sensationalized now. Many people who saw Lord of the Rings never read the book just like many people who play D&D (or other RPG's) don't even know what pen and paper is about.

It's sad because imo the only way to actually get your own imagination involved in a game such as this is to RP, otherwise you are simply learning rules and then exploiting them like a worker bee. In fact I believe that if you are playing an RPG computer game without actively participating you're own imagination it can actually be harmful to your imagination as it never does any work! the game gives you 'everything you need' and your right hemisphere can just go to sleep.

An analogy that comes to mind when thinking of Fonline in this new Pop-fantasy climate is a highschool cafeteria where a bunch of geeks are playing P&P at a table. A bunch of jocks look over at them and think "hey, we don't know why but we want to play too!". So they sit down at the table and begin to play with the geeks, however they play the game like they are playing football (and who knows why since they could just go play football, which, was designed top be played like football) in stead of using their imaginations and actually RPing as the game intended. Now, who knows why they wanted to come over and play an RPG anyway since they obviously don't know how or just don't like to. Perhaps it has something to do with the new popularization of fantasy, but I think it boils down to the way in which this newly popularized fantasy is spoon fed and hardly fantasized at all... anymore.

JovankaB

« Reply #42 on: September 14, 2011, 07:15:57 pm »

The part that I don't understand is why all those "anti-RP" people play a game like this. If you are interested in combat, the are games which are a lot better than this one in that sense, and where you don't even need to spend time levelling a char, getting proper gear...

If you are interested in roleplaying, I'm sure there are games which are a lot better than this one for RPing. Where you don't have to be afraid of bombers, imba player killers, non-rp trolls...
« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 07:18:35 pm by JovankaB »

Grommok

• Desert Ranger
« Reply #43 on: September 14, 2011, 07:38:00 pm »

If you are interested in roleplaying, I'm sure there are games which are a lot better than this one for RPing. Where you don't have to be afraid of bombers, imba player killers, non-rp trolls...
But guess what? We are here, why movin' when we have a such... good thing like FOnline. Fuck useless RP-haters, makes no sense. (since this is based on fallout, fallout is an RPG, they possess fallout to play this game, enhce they play RPG, so why hating RPG? RPG RPG RPG ;D)

jonny rust

• Caravan Dan
« Reply #44 on: September 14, 2011, 07:51:26 pm »

A. I dont mind a threat of death looming everywhere I go, it enhances my RP.

B. I don't play any other MMO's but from what I hear they all have troll problems

What I suspect about MMO's is that, no matter which one you go to, there are always going to be people hiding behind their characters rather than living through them so that they can act out and be jerks without anyone actually knowing who they are. I guess anti-social behavior is easier when you have a mask on. If this were a massive p&p or board-game we would have far less trolling because people would be less likely to act like jerks when face to face with all the other players.

C. I LOVE fallout, and I'm not leaving. It's not like I struggle to RP, I do it whenever I play this game and I do it successfully. If there is no one else I can find that is willing to RP then I log out and try again later or take care of a few mundane tasks. There is no way I'm going to stop playing just because there are anti-RP players around.

It doesn't surprise me that we are having this problem in the least. Kids used to have to hide in order to RP playing the games that these games are all based on, and they did it to be social. These days kids can hide from the people they are playing with (i'm 27 btw, not some old man with a switch jaded by youth) and instead do it to be anti-social, most likely because they have never played a real life board game... or even worse because they were never taught how to play with other people.

All that means for me though is that I will play the game as best I can in a way that makes it fun for myself and anyone else who isn't here to be a jerk and perhaps I can set some small example for people who don't know how to interact... mostly I just want to have fun though. and I do!

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 14

Page created in 0.107 seconds with 21 queries.