"Wasteland is harsh"
Home Forum Help Login Register
  • May 13, 2024, 04:01:37 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Play WikiBoy BugTracker Developer's blog
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Los Alamos Project (some kind of a BarterTown)  (Read 7526 times)

Re: Los Alamos Project (some kind of a BarterTown)
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2009, 12:59:43 am »

everything is in your hands  ;)

BurntAluminum

• The Intelligence Quotient
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2009, 01:50:16 am »

I think by the name, it should be somewhere closer to texas though it's hard to tell if texas is on the map, but nevada(New Reno) and parts of Oregon(Klamath/Klamath falls) are, and a desolate area of Idaho(Vault city and gecko are either bordering or in Idaho or Oregon), it would be too convenient to have it near NCR with the uranium mining, as NCR has become a central City of FOnline, there should be a considerable distance, to keep resources from piling up in NCR because anyone can make it back in one piece. This should be a town on it's own, and should spread players into other towns, there should not be a single central town, the population of FOnline is all centered in NCR, and just about every other town is empty or near empty. The population of the wastes should be a little more spread out, rather than focused into one area. What makes NCR so special anyways? There are no Resources other than cows and tree's in the general area(and you can find more tree's along with fiber and fruit at Vault city, as well as some close by mining spots. People are even suggesting that people start in NCR, when I believe new players should start in vault city because the only thing vault city doesn't really have in or nearby is a still, and it only has one brahmin pin.(At least to my knowledge) The hub has a great bit of traders, a still, a great mining area around it if I remember correctly, you can buy an infinite number of books, there's a good amount of cow crap to shovel.

I'm not saying NCR should be empty, but it's fairly useless in comparison to other towns, people should just grab their brahmin hides and head out to a more useful area to base their operations in.
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2009, 06:01:38 am »

Simple Burnt, ncr has the toughest guards and suicidebomers aside is the safest city in the game.

If this new trade city was created and had some sort of mechanic that allowed no attacking or suicidebombing what so ever then this would become the new ncr. people would go there in thier shiny ca and stand around all day talking about how they pwn so very hard, citys would still be empty just instead of ncr it would be this place where people congregate. If this were created i would suggest no crafting tables, no stills, nothing that can be used with 100% saftey otherwise why would you even bother to buy a base when you could simply put a tent next to the city and use their resources with the same security that a base is supposed to offer.

but this being said traders do require a high level of security. possibly before entering the trading zone people would be required to be searched by guards? this mechanic is already avaliable in tla with the vc guards searching your inventory for contraband prior to entry and could possibly be adopted.

Two different approaches i have in mind is a central trading board like WoW' or a series of stalls that can be rented by players.

The board could work much like wow, you talk to a central trader, set you buy or sell price using the 'say' command then the item is removed from you inventory and taken by the npc and placed in a secure inaccessable location (much like the operation of banks).

With stalls each stall could have for example a locker or some other storage unit that is very secure and an npc who through dialouge we can set buy/sell prices for various items and they are stored in this locker. We could name our stalls so our npc would respond "Hello welcome too, Aryans super shit hot big gun shop" or whatever and he commences the trade for us. then whever we wish we can return and remove the caps from locker.

This idea would also work really well if developers ever decided to implement slave trading. People would be able to roleplay slavers, slaves would have a deed of ownership or something similar and when it swapped inventory so did the control fo the slaves. Whole thread on this discussion full of ideas.

« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2009, 11:25:44 pm »

That ideas are great, but for now I propose listen to the KISS ASS (Keep It Simple Stupid  Auction Selling System)
no Wez no fun...
http://rudo-brody.pl/uploads/2011-12-24_0012.png
everyday my english loose 1point :/

Aricvomit

• Prepare for bowel disruption
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2009, 04:13:40 am »

Ok I love the idea and the map looks great, I personally feel a large problem right now is the going back and forth between non-cannon. I think if we just scrapped the whole having it be cannon thing everyone would benefit. As of right now it seems as if the devs are going back and forth because according to them in their timeline the cathedral didnt get blown up, which already changes everything yet nothing reflects upon that. I say before adding in new stuff everything thats broken should be fixed, it seems important features get left by the wayside while they try new ideas. I would like to see this town or one similar to it show up in game, so far i think rehashing old enviroments and placing it strictly in the few years before fallout 2 limits the creativity and scope of this game. Just coming out and saying its non-cannon would solve so many issues and problems and free up the devs to work outside of the constraints of a time line thats already been butchered.
plasma nade your face off!

TuX

« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2009, 12:53:15 pm »

If we want to stick strictly to fo1 and fo2 then i guess we should remove all vehicles from Fo:T. I don't recall seeing any Hummers or Raider Buggies on the West Coast. If the devs accept them then refusing to incorporate this kind of map only because it looks a little like Tactics would be just hipocrisy IMHO. The possiblites connected with Los Alamos are, well maybe not endless, but still very vast. All those thing mentioned earlier: Players renting stalls to sell weapons, drugs, or even slaves (great idea Aryan). If we can organise fights, why not make some bets with the loocal bookie? The RP value of this place is huge and it would be a waste to let it pass.

Lexx

• Rotator
  • Mexican Apple Thief
« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2009, 01:10:10 pm »

The cars are in, because we don't have much 2D artists who can draw nice looking Fallout 1/2-like vehicles. The ones from Tactics are the best we can really use.

To this locations in general. I've wrote it already in IRC a while ago. We can't include this or anything like this in the moment. We just don't have the time and ressources for this. The location isn't even a simple base anymore, it's a whole new and big town with NPCs, dialogues and additional scripts for quests, fighting and even new features like this "renting rooms for trade", etc. which is something that doesn't even exist as base in the scripts already in some way. So including this location would eat us up to 2 or 3 weeks, I would guess now. additionally to this, if we do this for one, we have to do this or similar also for the project ideas of other people, which would lead in even more time we have to spend.

I know it was offered by the location creators to write dialogues and scripts, etc. but this brings up the next problem: Nobody except we can test if the scripts are working or will crash the server on startup or if they work at all. So even in the case not we personally would write the scripts, we have to spend time on testing it and telling people how things are working. And yeah... we already got approx 6 people who wanted to helpt with writing scripts for us and never showed up again (=wasted time). We also can't just "give out" a kind of "test suit" for this where you can test your scripts, because nothing like this exists. Everything works in combination with the server files.

Also another big factor is that it's a big new town-- and we already have 20 big and empty ones without much quests and other stuff to do. And I think we all agree on the fact that we first should try to fill up what's there instead of adding new.

This is not meaned to destroy the idea or that we don't want people to do something like this (making maps, writing dialogues, quests, etc.), but we just don't have the resources right now to get this all done at once.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2010, 02:12:19 pm by Lexx »
« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2009, 01:30:40 pm »

Not 2d artistis You need.

This was fast test long time ago. But it is possible to make it better, and other cars too. Maybe more MadMax/Fallout mix.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2009, 01:34:38 pm by baaelSiljan »
no Wez no fun...

Lexx

• Rotator
  • Mexican Apple Thief
« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2009, 01:34:59 pm »

Not really what I would call Fallout 1/2 like, eh? And still the same: We have nobody in the team who is able to do such things in the moment.
« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2009, 01:37:27 pm »

Since end of January 2010, I will be free enough with work I hope, so I'll try to find some interesting people to do such things. ;)

Maybe not Fallout 1/2 but it was for testing only ;)

For testing You can use other game server on other port - even on VM. Only give that people chance. You are fans, they are fans. You made great piece of work called FOnline: 2238, and how many people says, You will never do that. Was all people You work with so optimistic to give You try? You say You have no time, they say "we can do it all, You devs need to test it only". Think about it. And BTW, They prove that they take it seriously. Thay spend 6 weeks to build this city.

Or if You need so much Cvet to change mechanics and it take so long them maybe FOnline:2238 need to be rewritten to some other engine?
« Last Edit: December 31, 2009, 02:13:22 pm by baaelSiljan »
no Wez no fun...

TuX

« Reply #25 on: January 01, 2010, 01:40:31 pm »

I'm far from expecting that you will incorporate Los Alamos in the next week cause that would be just crazy. You got other stuff to do, I understand. I just wanted to know if this project has any chances of appearing in the future, when the most pressing issues are delt with.
« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2010, 12:18:13 pm »

I see that you've made your decision, so in that case i'm posting this whole project and map here that everyone interested in it can use it. At least in this way my hard work which lasted many weeks won't be in vain. Maybe it can be of some use to someone but incorporating anything into Fonline is very doubtfull
MAP:
http://www.speedyshare.com/files/2013001/Dang3rz0n.wer28.map
Documentation:
http://www.speedyshare.com/files/2010004/Los_Alamos_Project_wer28.rar

« Last Edit: January 07, 2010, 12:46:22 pm by DANG3RZ0N »
« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2010, 05:09:18 pm »

Don't lose Your hope! I guess they (devs) are thinking about it, but they stuck for some time.
no Wez no fun...
« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2010, 11:21:17 pm »

I think that now when we have a lot of people on server we need some space for other nations. In NCR are Russians, from 10th January Hub will be russian also. I see that we have very big support from other players so Devs, please, think about it one more time.
"War is nothing more than the continuation of politics by other means.”
Carl von Clausewitz

skejwen

• BBS AKBAR!
    • Brahmins rox
« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2010, 11:25:59 pm »

I think that now when we have a lot of people on server we need some space for other nations. In NCR are Russians, from 10th January Hub will be russian also. I see that we have very big support from other players so Devs, please, think about it one more time.

Also we have locations like Boneyard, Junktown, Vault City and San Francisco which could be considered as safe (:

(Not to mention V13/V15 and Necropolis which are totally empty... but I hope that this will change in future)
« Last Edit: January 06, 2010, 11:28:29 pm by skejwen »
"Moo-OooooOO! MoMoo.. MmmmoOoo.. Moo!", translate from brahmin to English: "Two things are infinite - brahmin shit and human stupidity! - Brahminstein"
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Page created in 0.073 seconds with 18 queries.