"Wasteland is harsh"
Home Forum Help Login Register
  • September 29, 2024, 08:33:38 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Play WikiBoy BugTracker Developer's blog
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: New item - Wasteland Map  (Read 1961 times)

JovankaB

New item - Wasteland Map
« on: September 09, 2011, 04:33:30 pm »

Use this item in any location - it means you mark the location on the Wasteland Map and the location will be visible for anyone holding the map you used, as long as this map is kept in inventory. If you drop the map, the locations won't be visible (unless you see them because of different reason).

If location is destroyed, it won't show the location anymore of course.

Basically each Wasteland Map item would have a unique list of locations were it was used. When you go to world map, your inventory is checked and the maps you have - if the locations on the maps aren't visble for you yet, they are added to the world map view with different circle color.

Of course someone can kill you and take the map. He can get killed too, you could trade them, and so on...

Where would you get an empty map? No idea.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2011, 04:41:28 pm by JovankaB »
Re: New item - Wasteland Map
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2011, 04:38:02 pm »

a) buy from hermit
b) buy in Far Go Traders Office
c) Somewere in NCR (don`t remember geography there)
d) Somewere in Inner VC

Item is imporatant so it must not be easy obtainable.
I like it)
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2011, 04:40:45 pm »

So I mark my merc traps then "get killed"...

or robbed

I wish there were bags, backpacks, etc. in Fonline.

JovankaB

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2011, 04:43:06 pm »

So I mark my merc traps then "get killed"...

or robbed

For example :> I dont think its a problem, because it would be like PK punishment, and visible only for one person, not like caravan traps before.

One thing I forgot, the act of marking location on a maps should be visible (automatic emot message with unique color, like ***marks something on a piece of paper***) otherwise inviting people to tent would be too problematic.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2011, 04:45:16 pm by JovankaB »
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2011, 04:47:57 pm »

oh... nice idea is to somehow mark base or tent... so you can bring alt if nececerry without doublelogging or a friend...

JovankaB

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2011, 04:48:52 pm »

oh... nice idea is to somehow mark base or tent... so you can bring alt if nececerry without doublelogging or a friend...

Yea, if noone finds the stashed map :>

jonny rust

• Caravan Dan
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2011, 09:52:39 pm »

its a good idea, only thing that would bother me is my inability to take a location I see on a map in front of me and not be able to enter the location into my pip boy map for safe keeping.

p.s. I have suggested location/map trading in the past and it was not a popular idea, can't remember why, although I suggested sharing through a pip-boy to pip-boy connection. The great thing here is that the map can potentially fall into "the wrong" hands.

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2011, 10:35:22 pm »

If location is destroyed, it won't show the location anymore of course.

So it wouldn't be too useful for marking encounter maps because they are removed as soon as all players leave them. Then, it would be only useful for tent and base raiding marking and the only way to counter it would be placing many mercs set in aggresive mode.
If encounter maps are made permanent when the map is used, one could use the map repeatedly to fill up server's memory.

When the map is dropped inside the marked location and there is no one inside, the location would be not accessible by anyone at all, but the items and the map itself would remain in server's memory. Same if one loses this item anywhere, the worst option if he loses it dying in an encounter and nobody picks it up.
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2011, 02:52:10 am »

I am for this suggestion. It would make bases less secure and would require more guards inside.
Kill them all and let the god sort them out.

Eternauta

• Beyond repair.
    • Crazy 88 Official Forum
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2011, 03:38:03 am »

"blank" Pre-war maps spawning in some merchants' inventory from time to time. Also, parchment can be crafted from hides. And on the parchment, a map can be drawn.

kraskish

• Chars: Perforator & Penetrator =D
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2011, 01:35:47 am »

I am for this suggestion. It would make bases less secure and would require more guards inside.

Can u explain this? Im not sure I follow this.

OP said if map is dropped the location is destroyed (invisible). So why would you mark your own base and hand it in to enemy? (spy wars mode? lol)
Chars: Perforator, Penetrator Leaderator

Bartosz

• Rotator
  • There'd better be a killer reason...
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2011, 09:34:07 am »

It's a very nifty little idea, but there are many questions:

• When exactly players would like to use such feature? I assume showing tents/mines to friends with it might be great idea. Bases? Not so much - there are other ways to do this.
  • How would it cope with multiple bases (future feature)? The bases are shown/hidden via terminal, so I guess it won't be useful in this case - but that might be good, otherwise it would become too tedious/unsecure.

Other than that, I like the fact it solves the issue of locations that are not faction bases, yet could be visible to larger group of players. We could simply add invite functionality to tents, private mines, etc, but that would be quite like faction bases. Map tackles this issue in quite different, possibly interesting way.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2011, 09:38:14 am by scypior »

Grommok

• Desert Ranger
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2011, 01:06:58 pm »

Well, i like that idea. [ironic]Makes wasteland even harsher[/ironic].
Actually alot of guys in fallout lore used maps, for example rangers (Ranger Safehouse Map, actually useless without killap's Restoration Project but still findable in the game).
Quote from: Grommok
Chi si ritira dalla lotta
E' un gran figlio di mignotta!
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2011, 01:25:50 pm »

Can u explain this? Im not sure I follow this.

Now if you do not drag base raper to your base yourself or your member wont betray you and spend some effort by getting base rape commando to drag all the stuf bases are 100% secure even unguarded. Thats quiet inreallistic. You have huge outpost or gasstation swarming with more traffic than hub and nobody notices?

With maps someone could loose map or traitor could just sell it and it would bring nescessity to defend bases by mercs and more base assults.

Athough it might bring pain in the ass by hoarding all stuff in tents or on storage alts.
Kill them all and let the god sort them out.

JovankaB

« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2011, 01:35:56 pm »

Besides what was mentioned already, it could be used for player events, for example race events or as tickets to some secret meetings.
For locations invisible by deafult like train stations or Sierra. You could come there with a map, if someone gave it to you.
It's a bit like holodisks, it can be used in many ways, but a bit more useful. I feel it can be used in some innovative ways I didn't think about yet.

It's true this idea makes bases a lot more vulnerable. Even if you kill ex-member, the player could create a map.
This makes setting up base defense much more important. Maybe there could be some new features for better defense of bases...

I just liked the idea when it came to my mind, so I posted it; I know it could cause some gameplay problems and more harshness because it's hard to predict all consequences and exploit possiblities :P
« Last Edit: September 11, 2011, 02:03:17 pm by JovankaB »
Pages: [1] 2

Page created in 0.772 seconds with 37 queries.