Author Topic: Creature trophies  (Read 3945 times)

Offline Lexx

• Rotator
  • Mexican Apple Thief
Creature trophies
« on: September 08, 2011, 10:02:37 am »
Would someone be interested in creating a few creature trophies for me? I'm talking about Brahmin skulls, Brahmin horns, Deathclaw claws, wolf claws, claws from Endless Walker, etc. Items like this, which people would like to collect or sell.

Thought it might be a good idea to create them as 3d models, from which we can render their inventory images as well. We would need the 3d models sooner or later anyway, so I see no reason not to create them right from the beginning.

Offline Graf

• "Next Day" developer
Re: Creature trophies
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2011, 10:46:37 am »
Yep, I've had a plan to do something like that later, and I even found a couple of sprites for it.

The only thing I didn't understood is a quality for these "trophies" you've mentioned. If you want them right now, before the 3d comes into play, then we will need a high-quality models to be rendered for the use in inventory. But if you want them to be implemented when 3d era comes, then we may need a simple low-poly models. So what is it exactly?

Offline Lexx

• Rotator
  • Mexican Apple Thief
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2011, 11:04:00 am »
I'd like to implement them already now. I thought about painting over the render images later to make them a bit less low-poly looking and more like a generic Fallout item. Pretty much depends on the model, it's texture and the render quality, though. But as the inventory images are small, the models wouldn't need to be too high-poly anyway.

Offline Luther Blissett

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2011, 06:43:35 pm »
I think most of our low-poly models are actually high enough to use for inventory and floor object renders - a bit of Photoshop work over the render should be enough to get it looking just right.

Offline Johnnybravo

• Hey there!
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2011, 08:27:59 pm »
You'd most likely want to hang that brahmin skull on a wall. Similar for other trophies and decorations - they'll become part of scenery, and thus should blend as best as possible.

Wouldn't it be better to do them all in 2D?
"What is this, I don't even"
"This is your forum."

Offline Lexx

• Rotator
  • Mexican Apple Thief
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2011, 09:05:19 pm »
No plans for hanging something on a wall (too difficult to do with scripts and stuff). At some point in development, 3d models will be needed for the moment a player is holding a trophy in his hands, just like all other items. The only thing that needs to be 2d right now is the inventory items. Ground item 2d graphic can and should be rendered from the 3d model as well, of course.

A 3d model is needed in any case, so nope, it's not better to do them all in 2d.