Author Topic: Shaders and effects  (Read 30171 times)

Offline Luther Blissett

Re: Shaders and effects
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2011, 09:21:43 pm »
Definitely looks much better (and closer to sprite lighting) than the old default. No doubt about it. Can you stand him next to a sprite, so we can compare closer? Maybe a shirtless, next to a tribal or something like this.

« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2011, 12:14:08 am »
Wow, it looks really good now! I'm amazed how much shaders can change! *.*
I bet we would have to change some textures and models to make them more complex (to get more shadows on eg. metal armor chest piece)
Don't call me your brother
'cause I ain't your fucking brother.
We fell from different cunts,
and your skins an ugly color!

Offline Luther Blissett

« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2011, 02:01:06 am »
We will probably need to adjust most of the textures once these have been finalised. Most will probably be quick tweaks, but a few might need some heavy changes. Obviously if the game engine shadows are now much better, we can rely a bit less on "old school style" painted-on shadowing. I don't know if the models would need changing so much, but we'll see how things start to look when this has been tested on all the current ones. The metal armour detail can probably be adjusted through tweaking the specular map

Offline Surf

• это моё.
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2011, 09:56:05 am »
One thing I noticed, is that almost all of the models are a bit too bright compared to the original critters. This can be easily solved though. ;) And yes, going the oldschool method and planting some drawn shadows here and there seems to be the best solution for this. 's looking really good already!

« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2011, 10:19:56 am »
You are right, the scenery and buildings would not change , it would look weird. Anyway, your shader seems to improve a lot the looks of non shiny surfaces too.
I changed the standard shader as suggested by Luther, so now all models use this one. Take a look.

In my opinion , the new one looks much better. What do you guys think?
Also the skin is mapped, just a bit of shine over the body, and some more on the head.

As for the global illumination, I used ambient color with a blueish tint. Of course, it's not the same as an additional light, but it softens the dark shadows.

Most accurate word I can find for it right now is "Amazing"... I'm still thinking of the right word though.

Offline barter1113

• New Vegas fanatic =)
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2011, 09:05:28 pm »
GREAT! (SHOUT)

Offline Johnnybravo

• Hey there!
« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2011, 10:21:20 pm »
I bet we would have to change some textures and models to make them more complex (to get more shadows on eg. metal armor chest piece)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Normal_mapping
"What is this, I don't even"
"This is your forum."

Offline Johnnybravo

• Hey there!
« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2011, 08:30:24 pm »
Can anyone please dump Fallout palette here in readable format?
I'd like to start working on some effects that Fallout enthusiasts will want.
(and it should be possible to apply it on 2D as well, if anyone wants to have lowcolor interface for some reason instead of hires one, if that ever gonna exist :S)
"This is your forum."

« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2011, 12:41:31 pm »
Can anyone please dump Fallout palette here in readable format?
I'd like to start working on some effects that Fallout enthusiasts will want.
(and it should be possible to apply it on 2D as well, if anyone wants to have lowcolor interface for some reason instead of hires one, if that ever gonna exist :S)

here it is described:

http://falloutmods.wikia.com/wiki/Working_with_palettes
http://modguide.nma-fallout.com/#Graphics005
no Wez no fun...
http://rudo-brody.pl/uploads/2011-12-24_0012.png
everyday my english loose 1point :/

Offline Bartosz

• Rotator
  • There'd better be a killer reason...
« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2011, 11:22:07 am »
Unfortunately as far as I understand community behind engine is the russian part related to TLA server.
Might be a little harder to make related requests.

Not at all, just state what's needed, if something hinders the 3d development, it needs to be considered and improved.

Offline Luther Blissett

« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2011, 08:39:00 pm »
Whilst you mention it (off topic to main thread, sorry) - two things that have come up in conversation recently were :
a) Ability to "refresh assets" in 3D engine i.e. reload models and textures without having to quit and restart the program.
b) Some information about or control of the connection between action and animation - i.e. currently the enemy receives damage from the 1st frame of the animation, so is damaged / killed before the punch is thrown or gun is lifted to shoot.

These might both be "big asks", but I see "B" as something that's probably necessary before the 3D stuff can really be considered playable. Perhaps if there was a way to assign the "shot event" to occur at a specific point in the animation, this would be quite easy to solve. There may of course be some other way of solving this.

"A" isn't necessary for a playable engine, but could make testing and development a lot quicker.

Offline Bartosz

• Rotator
  • There'd better be a killer reason...
« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2011, 09:41:04 am »
(...)

Forwarded it to appropriate instance;)

« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2011, 12:50:43 pm »
Wow new shaders look amazing.

Offline barter1113

• New Vegas fanatic =)
« Reply #28 on: November 12, 2011, 06:51:27 pm »
nothing new?

Offline Johnnybravo

• Hey there!
« Reply #29 on: November 12, 2011, 11:05:40 pm »
Not really, there is not much to be done at this moment anyway. If I ever get idea how to add some dithering, I will post it (just index lookup looks shit and not even worth it).
OFC if there is anything particular you need, just ask.
"This is your forum."