"Wasteland is harsh"
Home Forum Help Login Register
  • September 29, 2024, 07:24:36 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Play WikiBoy BugTracker Developer's blog
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Traveling Sound  (Read 1353 times)

jonny rust

• Caravan Dan
Traveling Sound
« on: June 10, 2011, 06:08:38 pm »

Since loud sounds can travel farther and less directly than line of sight I think it makes sense to be able to hear gun shots fired outside of a chars sight radius.

I suggest that any explosion or shot fired in an area is heard by all players in that area, albeit quieter than it would be heard if you were close enough to see it, but still audible, kind of like the distant shots you hear in reno as part of the ambiance.

This would serve as a warning system if there is fighting going on in your neighborhood as well as make the game a bit more realistic. It has always annoyed me that I can take one step farther away from a gun fight and not be able to hear it anymore (yet still see spears and rockets fly and even explosions).

thoughts?

Michaelh139

• Goin for 900,000...
Re: Traveling Sound
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2011, 07:20:40 pm »

Hmm, you got a point there.  I agree.
Whenever I say something, imagine \"In my opinion"/ being in the front of every sentence.

Perteks

• It's made of vague and to do lists!
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2011, 07:42:59 pm »

Solution: make dont seeable rockets etc

jonny rust

• Caravan Dan
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2011, 08:09:54 pm »

while rockets and such are visible its not really the issue here, just an inconsistency. Of course you wouldn't see explosions outside of your sight range (except for flashes at night) but you would still hear them if you were close enough.

my point is there should be a sight radius and a hearing radius (both independent of each other) and I would make the hearing radius an entire area to keep it simple and at the same time ambiguous. Hearing sound reflecting off of boundaries from a distance doesn't give you a sense of direction, just a heads up that something somewhere is going down.

It will make the game more interesting in my opinion; hearing gun fire without knowing where it is apart from near you will make you twitchier and paranoid and enhance the gaming experience.

avv

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2011, 08:35:45 pm »

I've thought the exact same. Hearing radius would be great to have. It could work so that if you hear someone shooting minigun behind a wall, you will see the guy's model without name during the time he shoots.
Based on evidence collected from various sources by trustworthy attendees it is undisputed veritability that the land ravaged by atomic warfare which caused extreme change of the ecosystem and environmental hazards can be considered unpleasant, rugged and unforgiving.

jonny rust

• Caravan Dan
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2011, 09:03:31 pm »

I've thought the exact same. Hearing radius would be great to have. It could work so that if you hear someone shooting minigun behind a wall, you will see the guy's model without name during the time he shoots.

kind of like FOT;

so perhaps to start with one would just be able to hear to sound and If someone shoots within your potential sight radius but is blocked by some sort of barrier then they become highlighted with a targeting mode outline.

so if they are outside of your sight radius it is impossible for you pinpoint where the sound originated but if the shot is close enough you get a sense of their position.

Sarakin

• Zmikundik
    • Vault šílené brahmíny
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2011, 01:20:26 am »

Good idea, it would make loud guns such as miniguns and rocket launchers a little less desirable, while promoting some silent small guns.
The sanctity of this forum has been fouled

[19:41:06] <@JovankaB> einstein said we dont need name colorizing

Surf

• это моё.
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2011, 01:21:45 am »

This feature is technically already ingame (well not the muffled sound for distant shots, but the left/right panorama sounds for distand shots), it just needs some fiddling around to make it working again (like so much sound stuff :/ )
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2011, 04:03:17 am »

...so perhaps to start with one would just be able to hear to sound and If someone shoots within your potential sight radius but is blocked by some sort of barrier then they become highlighted with a targeting mode outline....

Maybe this could be part of the awareness perk in the 3d era?
20:49:58 • You encounter: Ghoul crazies.
20:50:01 • You were critically hit in the head for 55 hit points, knocked out and had your armor bypassed.

jonny rust

• Caravan Dan
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2011, 07:53:04 pm »

Yea, if the hearing radius wasn't just 'entire area' it would need to be governed by the chars perception.

Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.051 seconds with 17 queries.