"Wasteland is harsh"
Home Forum Help Login Register
  • September 29, 2024, 05:43:25 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Play WikiBoy BugTracker Developer's blog
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: wipe server periodically  (Read 5417 times)

arathhunter

• Arath =Gray Rock Village Leader= -Canadian Drow-
Re: wipe server periodically
« Reply #45 on: May 26, 2011, 11:25:45 am »

What about creating a server for dark age ?

Level cap : 9 or 12
Best armor : Leather armor Mk 2 ou Combat Leather Jacket
Small Gun : No sniper, no gauss, no p90...
Big gun : Only Flamer
Thrower : Only rocks, spears, knives and molotov
Energy : Only pistols
Melee : No ripper, supersledge or cattleprod
Vehicules : Only caravan, cockroach and scout
Bases : Only caves and trapper camp
Bank : no interrest
Followers : only slaves and animals
Caps : Acquirable only with job or encounters. Will disapear in trader inventory, even right after trade
Npc : Those with forbidden weapons won't be lootable or stealable.

So it would be constant post-wipe era, and the fans of this era won't bother here...

I like this idea. I mean, I've already seen it suggested before in a bigger scale. But still, Yeah I like it. But I know that its already a hassile to keep this server up, Though if they did put 2 diffrent servers for this purpose. I'd jump from one to the other. Keeping my Character safe in one. and going all out on the other lolz.

Stration

• Get off my lawn.
« Reply #46 on: May 26, 2011, 11:26:21 am »

Wipes should be treated as necessary evil.

If you don't enjoy playing the game as it is, you're doing it wrong.

The only noticeable outcome of scheduling another wipe at the very beginning of a session would be... no new players joining the game mid-session. I'm not sure if that is good or bad.

« Reply #47 on: May 26, 2011, 08:47:22 pm »

To be honest I think the only people that benefit from periodic wipes are the powergamers who inevitably get bored. Of course if you level to 21 in 4 days and you're in a gang with tons of alts crafting everything for you you're going to get bored as the only thing you guys do is PvP, which inevitably gets stale when the same guys you're fighting have the exactly the same mathematical worked out stats and equipment you do. The only fun after a wipe they have is getting to the exact same position again but quicker than their rivals.

Now for example take me and my cousin who play this. We have balanced characters who craft bare essentials, have alright combat skills and scavenge the rest. The game to us is more of a 'survival horror' game where death is lurking round every corner in the form of pkers, poor decisions and lag. We have serious debates when we go hunting/to trade to even take our leather jackets with us in fear of losing stuff. Every cap we earn and every item we make and scavenge is precious to us. We once had 30k between us and felt like kings. Wipes for players like us are a mixed bag. We lose all our stuff, but great new features are (usually) implemented. To have a wipe every couple of months for no reason other to cater for the powergamers would be a terrible thing.
« Reply #48 on: May 26, 2011, 10:19:31 pm »

Very often I hear that the first month after wipe is the most interesting one.

So this idea is very simple: don't wait with wipe for "BIG UPDATE" that comes once per year. Make the server wipe itself automatically every 36 days.

I think it would greately reduce hoarding and alting.
Perhaps it would make people care more about essence of gameplay not senseless grinding.

Best suggestion ever!
« Reply #49 on: May 27, 2011, 05:28:13 am »

A: If you want a low tier area to sate your tribal lust for war, adding a special "island" where in order to get to it you have to be ship wrecked while trying to get on to it and you will lose all non-allowed items, such as any thing more then stuff craftable with a tier 2 profession could work, and adding a few "Mini towns" to TC could be nice, or old supply stashs to capture like a low gear TC battle, if you all really want more low tier non-hording based battles.

B: 1 Wipe every 6 months at least, 2 sessions a year, everyones happy, if it takes you more then 1 months of playing to get -any- where and learn how to do it again, which is a basic skill needed in FOnline, then you're going to suck even if you were allowed to horde for years and years.

C: Hording and alting are a requirement in this game, having to do it all over again every 2 months would be a pain in the ass, if you want to kick ass you need at least some kind of support from other characters, and with the anti social mess that most FOnline players can be at times, really it's not hard to see why actually working together isn't the easiest thing to do.

-Ulrek-
« Reply #50 on: May 27, 2011, 06:21:04 am »

Hording and alting are a requirement in this game...

...with the anti social mess that most FOnline players can be at times...

hoarding and alting is brought about by the anti social mess fonline players are and is not a requirement of this game but a choice.

« Reply #51 on: May 27, 2011, 08:42:59 am »

hoarding and alting is brought about by the anti social mess fonline players are and is not a requirement of this game but a choice.

Go and re-read everything that i typed, not just the pieces you copy pasted from it, and you will see that i never said it wasn't a choice.

-Ulrek-
« Reply #52 on: August 12, 2011, 06:57:11 pm »

'm new to FOnline, been playing about 2 months now. I was informed by other players at the time that there would be a wipe soon not that I'm worried that there hasn't been a wipe.

I would just like to post a suggestion.

How about planned wipes? say about every 6 months and when it's due all the little things that have been finalised are implemented into the game at the next wipe, if nothing is ready to be implemented into the game then that wipe could be cancelled or postponed until there is features ready to be implemented.

As far as I can see as long as the public is made aware of wipe taking place or not then it would stop people whining about a lack of wipes as they would know when the next one is due.

Thanks for making FOnline and keeping it running.

Handyman

• Zostałem Południowcem !
« Reply #53 on: August 16, 2011, 08:00:08 am »

NO WIpes ! wipes sucks i gather stuff level up and BAM ! all i got dissapear, it's bollocks... save at least characters to not lvl ... and don't come with hey you can level in one day... well i'm working and don't have time to play 24/7
Why would you argue with someone, while you can kill him.
« Reply #54 on: August 16, 2011, 11:36:29 am »

Wipe is a starightener for a bender. Game mechanics should be modified to make some bigger goals for players than hoarding tons of avangers, BAs and drugs. This when achieved there is usually nothing more to achieve and this achievement cannot be lost because you store your hoard in your personal invisible base.
Kill them all and let the god sort them out.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Page created in 0.058 seconds with 23 queries.