"Wasteland is harsh"
Home Forum Help Login Register
  • July 01, 2024, 10:38:05 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Play WikiBoy BugTracker Developer's blog
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Train ideas  (Read 1005 times)

Train ideas
« on: May 24, 2011, 09:18:17 pm »

Here are a few ideas that i came up with when using a train recently:

1. At the moment train leaves every 6 game hours (in one direction), it means every 18 real time minutes. In my opinion it's too seldom. Waiting for something doing nothing for over 5 minutes that's already pretty annoying. When you go to San Francisco by train with some stuff for trading, you make a deal, you manage to get back to the station and not being killed on the way in a random encounter or by some PKs, and then you get to know that next train is in over 15 minutes well that sucks. There's little to do in this location so you just wait on the world map, because moving around SF when being full with loot isn't a smart idea. Of course one could wait in SF instead of train station but it changes little. So my suggestion is to make trains depart every 2 hours (6 real time minutes).

2. Also it would be nice to have a train schedule in Pip Boy. The feature could be uploaded to Pip Boy when talking to a ticket seller (for free, or for some fee). A simple list of time of departures on particular stations would do, but it'd be even better if Pip Boy would show when the next train leaves from the nearest station and where it's heading.

3. One ticket weights around 0.5kg currently and that's pretty much for, i assume, a paper ticket. For example 3 tickets mean additonal 1,5kg to carry. So my suggestion is to make them, let say, 10 times lighter.
Re: Train ideas
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2011, 09:29:08 pm »

sorry, but 10 x time for train sound like *gate keeper* in lineage 2. (u can use caps for teleport from 1 place to another)

Let the Force be with You.
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2011, 09:30:21 pm »

Its getting a rework next update anyway.
The only exploit involved abusing your intelligence  ;D
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2011, 09:53:48 pm »

@Who Killed Bambi

I get the impression that you misunderstood the ideas. If by "10 x time for train" you meant train that moves 10 times faster well then that is not what i am suggesting, because the current speed of train movement seems to me just right. And if you meant by "10 x time for train" that train gonna be departing 10 times more often that's not it. I suggested to make it 3 times more frequent.

Its getting a rework next update anyway.

It'd be really nice if there were improvements in the way the train system works :)
« Last Edit: May 24, 2011, 10:13:54 pm by firehand »

Gatling

• Violent Pacifist.
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2011, 12:42:42 am »

Ahem. Encounters while on the trains of the odd variety.
I also approve of a little faster train-ride, hopefully without the bugginess.  I've been a user of trains for awhile and the Conductor has always annoyed me with the odd, misplaced times she would give.
...I also miss her shouting about that it was there, though it could be less spammy than what it was. (I've often gone on to do something else and totally forget about the train because I was waiting so damn long, and end up missing it, which is aggravating)

There must be train robberies, considering the linear paths they follow and limited number.  Unless they're packing some sort of 'tank' car attachment to deter this sort of thing that I don't know about.

"There's brahmin on the tracks, Conductor."
"So? Run it over."
"...No, BRAHMIN, a whole herd."
"Oh. Anyone want some caps for blowing the crap out of them/shooing them away? (Aggro them then run away back to the train... if you live!)"

I wouldn't mind having a train-car map, too, maybe, for wandering around inside, though this is a really mild musing. I'd prefer it, anyway, to watching (HATE THIS) of the WM travel screen just scrolling by.
And now...
"Never compromise. Not even in the face of Armageddon."- Rorschach
"It's what people know about themselves inside... that makes them afraid." -The Stranger
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2011, 03:35:02 am »

I wouldn't mind having a train-car map, too, maybe, for wandering around inside, though this is a really mild musing. I'd prefer it, anyway, to watching (HATE THIS) of the WM travel screen just scrolling by.

That'd be a nice change of scenery but given the player base i can only imagine more trolling.

Gatling

• Violent Pacifist.
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2011, 04:49:01 am »

I'd be ok with that. Not like the trains would let them on after they made trouble.
And now...
"Never compromise. Not even in the face of Armageddon."- Rorschach
"It's what people know about themselves inside... that makes them afraid." -The Stranger
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2011, 01:11:15 am »

Another little ideas that concern trains:

1. In my opinion conductors and ticket sellers should be immortal. At the moment one can kill them easily (at least at NCR Station) and this way sabotages the entire train system for long hours.

2. There's a problem with guards at NCR Train Station, they simply don't loot dead bodies. That can lead to abuses. For example one player kills other one and with high outdoors skill he quickly gets back to the station and takes stuff of the victim along with his own weapon.

3. When a party travels by train they tags reset. It's a small thing but still it would be nice if traveling by train wouldn't mess with tag system.

@Gatling

I like your idea with random/special encounters when traveling by train. I would add one thing, that those encounters have to be voluntary. I mean that a player can choose whether he wants to participate in it or not. If not we can assume that a problem was solved by other people, for example ncr army that travels in train. The reason of letting players to choose is that the train is mostly used by people who rather want to avoid encounters and get to the place quickly and safely.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.111 seconds with 22 queries.