• July 05, 2024, 07:19:48 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Play WikiBoy BugTracker Developer's blog

Poll

Do you like the idea?

Yes, totally
Yes, but it need some improvements (clarify which on the topic)
No (clarify why on the topic)
No, n00bz should suffer!

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Improving the playing experience for the new players  (Read 4234 times)

Graf

• "Next Day" developer
Improving the playing experience for the new players
« on: April 20, 2011, 12:30:39 pm »

After reading of an interview on the NMA and a lots of other topics related to the improving experience, I've started thinking how to do it easily and painlessly. Think what you do first, after creating of the character? You are appearing in the cave or basement, where you've had some mat, bookshelves and other useless (for now) things. But it's could be a place to live for the newbies! I see no reason, why the place, where character was "born" couldn't be seen by him after he leaves it. It could be a place, where he would stay before creating of his very first tent or buying a base. This place also could have a holodisk with some recommendations, how to start the game:

Hi, matey! It's Metzger. If you're reading this, then you've most likely just wake up and barely remember who you are and where you are from.
That's ok, because some time ago, you've found some problems for ya ass, and barely survived it. We've helped you as we could and left you here.
Once you will feel yourself ok, move to the closest city (PipBoy will show ya a map, once you leave that place) and ask someone for a job.
It may happen so, that you've forget how to behave yourself in a city, so here's some tips:

- You can get a few caps for a shit shoveling or helping to the caravan leader
- Watch your back! Thieves are all around, so you may loose everything in a matter of a few moments.
- Take a look at the billboards, there could be some decent info about of the people hiring such douches as you are.
- You can make some stuff with your FixBoy (it's installed in your PipBoy by default).

When you'll feel that you've remembered everything, move your ass to the Den, I'll give you some job, you muthafucker, I always hire a nice guys in my lil city. Got it?

You may ask - why to create a tent if I already have a hideout? The answer is simple - there is bonfire, which (in my suggestion) should give you an ability to craft a little more stuff, than without of it. Also, the tent could be located anywhere on the map, while this cave (or anything else) is restricted to stay in a single place.

On the exit from that cave, there should be some rats or mantis, killing which will help a new player to get his very first level.

That's all for now. Please comment (only reasonable comments are welcome)
« Last Edit: April 20, 2011, 12:59:33 pm by Graf »

Michaelh139

• Goin for 900,000...
Re: Improving the playing experience for the new players
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2011, 12:34:26 pm »

I do see one problem with this, alts that never even make a tent will now take up more map space with this.  But nevertheless I voted yes.
Whenever I say something, imagine \"In my opinion"/ being in the front of every sentence.

Surf

• это моё.
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2011, 12:38:39 pm »

Why would I, as New Player #2392039 create a tent if I'd already have cool looking map with all the space I need right infront of my eyes? The bonfire isn't in use at all, I am talking about how things are right now. Tents would get rendered useless.

Michaelh139

• Goin for 900,000...
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2011, 12:39:42 pm »

You may ask - why to create a tent if I already have a hideout? The answer is simple - there is bonfire, which (in my suggestion) should give you an ability to craft a little more stuff, than without of it. Also, the tent could be located anywhere on the map, while this cave (or anything else) is restricted to stay in a single place. That's all for now.

Please comment (only reasonable comments are welcome)

Whenever I say something, imagine \"In my opinion"/ being in the front of every sentence.

Surf

• это моё.
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2011, 12:40:37 pm »

Those starting locations are capped to certain locations already, all near some towns.

Michaelh139

• Goin for 900,000...
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2011, 12:42:08 pm »

Those starting locations are capped to certain locations already, all near some towns.
Meby not the town they want?  At least it'll give them a reason to stick around.

Surf

• это моё.
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2011, 12:44:27 pm »

The point still stands.. There are too many upsides and not enough downsides in the suggestion. Make the map disappear after ~3 days maybe, so that the guys need to setup a tent, but still have enough time to collect the needed materials.

I personally find the suggestion useless, as it is already piss easy to just rent a hotel room or similar stuff. After the update the issue with too less space in hotels will be gone aswell, so another reason not to use such "noob" hideouts.

Graf

• "Next Day" developer
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2011, 12:56:38 pm »

Make the map disappear after ~3 days maybe, so that the guys need to setup a tent, but still have enough time to collect the needed materials.
3 days is a way too little. It shouldn't be less then a month, because not everyone is playing the game every 1-3 days. This is especially related to the newbies.

I personally find the suggestion useless, as it is already piss easy to just rent a hotel room or similar stuff. After the update the issue with too less space in hotels will be gone aswell, so another reason not to use such "noob" hideouts.
I've suggested it, because there was a lot of discussions around, about the fact, that this game is very hard for the beginners, which is often makes them stop playing after a few hours (days, weeks). This game is too harsh now (which is good for me, but not as good for the newbies). Also, hotel rooms isn't free at all, while I'm suggesting the place to learn very basics of the game.

Surf

• это моё.
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2011, 01:04:22 pm »

Not free you say? You do the Box lifting assignment, there you have your caps. This doesn't even take 5 minutes. Giving away stuff for free isn't "noob friendly", it's just bad.

Graf

• "Next Day" developer
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2011, 01:16:25 pm »

Giving away stuff for free isn't "noob friendly", it's just bad.
I see nothing bad in helping newbies and explaining them how to play. But I understood your opinion. Now please, let others tell what they think.

Reiniat

• Humanhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2011, 04:16:00 pm »

why the last option says n00bs, is supposed to be newbies

and i think that newbies only deserve suffering, why? because all the games are very friendly aand everyone can play it, but this game no, so if youre a newbie and have a brave heart (lol) you will deserve to grow up and become powerful, if not then just stop of play.
You must win play fonline,
thats what i think
Current char: Oblivion, Oceansoul, Black Tears

Sorry for my bad english
Quote from: Santa Anna
Any action or inaction in a position of power will always grant you enemies
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2011, 04:20:31 pm »

Make the map disappear after ~3 days maybe, so that the guys need to setup a tent, but still have enough time to collect the needed materials.

Agree
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2011, 04:21:11 pm »

As surf said :

There are too many upsides and not enough downsides in the suggestion.

Plus I like how it is now, I started not long ago. The start was really painfull but when I created my first tent, it was like christmas. You need to have a strong will to face the wasteland. And fighting for brahmin hides is, imo a good test.

spike allen

• C88 cannon fodder
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2011, 04:26:01 pm »

Make it shared, like for example an old prison seen by all of the new chars. Each has its own cell, then after some time (when he reaches certain lvl ) he is kicked out.

Graf

• "Next Day" developer
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2011, 05:32:53 pm »

Reiniat, I can barely understand what you've said, but it looks like you're trying to say that Fonline is for those who are able to pass the test by suffering, right? If so, then I disagree with you, because it shouldn't scare people away, while now it is, and this is the reason why we have so low number of people online. People just come, see that they can understood nothing and leave.

Fusei, well, I'm glad that you didn't stopped playing after a while. Consider yourself as a one who have passed the test by the wasteland. But it changes nothing, most people which came to Fonline by casualty needs some basic explanation how to play THIS.

spike allen, the idea is good, but it's a little bit different from what I'm suggesting. Moreover, that kind of location was suggested many times already and was rejected by saying something like "Ya N00b, GTFO suffer, lol" Also, there is an NCR for these at purposes, as well as the other guarded houses, while I'm saying about the very very first start location.
Pages: [1] 2 3

Page created in 0.243 seconds with 26 queries.