"Wasteland is harsh"
Home Forum Help Login Register
  • July 05, 2024, 09:17:21 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Play WikiBoy BugTracker Developer's blog
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Talk about 3D era  (Read 8734 times)

Alvarez

• Forget the past, go outside and have a blast
Re: Talk about 3D era
« Reply #45 on: April 08, 2011, 11:13:16 am »

They were made in 3d, animated in 3d and rendered to static 2d frames.

Can we do it?

we are doing this already.. makng 3d models, creating animations, rendering in the game.

What? It seem people are talking at cross purposes here.

Johnnybravo

• Hey there!
« Reply #46 on: April 09, 2011, 02:53:25 am »

3d models are probably somewhat better than rendering full set of new characters.
For low resolution graphics at Fallout times, crappy renders looked quite impressive when placed in game ( you can check game animated sequences that the used models are definetly nothing you'd 2000's CGI ).
It's still expensive to do that kind of stuff, and rendering lowres models have some advantages as well ( esp. animations )
"What is this, I don't even"
"This is your forum."
« Reply #47 on: April 09, 2011, 08:26:12 pm »

What? It seem people are talking at cross purposes here.

Nah, not really. We're just using renders in the game, while Interplay used renders to create 2d sprites(rendered - or in other words - converted them into frames).
"render" is such a confusing word.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2011, 08:28:54 pm by SmartCheetah »
Don't call me your brother
'cause I ain't your fucking brother.
We fell from different cunts,
and your skins an ugly color!

LagMaster

• No. 1 Topic Starter
« Reply #48 on: April 09, 2011, 09:59:55 pm »

let me explain why we do the 3D for criters
1. if we whant to add a new hair cut, we do not need to make a googol of frames for ech gun and armor, we can just make a mesh and put it relatively on the top of all the previus skeletal meshes, thus saving time,manpower and memory
2. this way it will look cooler, but we are trying to make the 3D meshes so they look as close to the original as posible, so we do not lose the Fallout theme
3.(optional)we try to make 3D critters so we can sell use rights to BlackIsle for next Fallout games that will be with indirect PC controll(not a FPS,but more like the original)so there will be better Fallout games than F3, more like the original, but still good to play for the graphic seeker games of today that do not give a shit on gameplay, and therefore help making the best Falout Game Ever(a Fallout 4 or 5 with original Fallout gameplay)
4(optional) to hava a LagMaster post in a 3D tread where he askes politely for someone to spell check it, cuz is late and he must go to sleep

can you please Spell check this

Johnnybravo

• Hey there!
« Reply #49 on: April 10, 2011, 03:26:33 am »

If you render stuff to sprites, you can simply render full set every time you want to add something new, that's not a problem.

It's however harder to mod, that's still not a problem.
But with all the stuff needed, you'd have frames for every skin, and hair multiplied with graphics for every armor and that all multiplied with graphics for every weapon, creating thousands of replacing frames, and adding quite some size and load if it's saved in reasonable resolution.
Also to match 3D quality, much more frames per animation would have to be saved, increasing the bloat even more.

Ofcourse it'd probably be possible to add weapons as extra frames, and skin tones as additional effect on default frames, but it'd still be loaded and won't be much less work than with realtime 3D graphics.
"This is your forum."

Reiniat

• Humanhunter
Re: Particle effects development
« Reply #50 on: July 08, 2011, 06:52:50 pm »

did you ever think, after all the suffering of Cvet and the rest of the devs, that the old way of animation is better?
I mean like in the original Fallouts:
we design everything in 3D way, with all the quality, excesive number of polygons, HD textures and particle effects that a supercomputer can holds...and then we renderize all with a powerful super tool, and we capture all that stuff in 2D, all the animations in the 6 positions that can be in Fallout: and voila!!! they will not be 3D, but will look better than the actual 3D models, within tire the engine, because, in the end, they are only frames changing like in the original game.
so what you think?
Current char: Oblivion, Oceansoul, Black Tears

Sorry for my bad english
Quote from: Santa Anna
Any action or inaction in a position of power will always grant you enemies

Johnnybravo

• Hey there!
« Reply #51 on: July 08, 2011, 10:38:24 pm »

That'd be great if you wouldn't need that amount of animations.
Yeah for weapons you could probably render weapon as additional sprite, so that you could've weapons visible without having milion more frames, and that could be perhaps solution for headgear and head graphics as well.

But it wouldn't make animations any smoother.

In any way, models have to be done.

However i'd also like to see how'd some sprites worked with it, because frankly, I don't see anyone creating good enough death anims, especialy for flamer (which is going to be really hard done in 3D) or electrical.
"This is your forum."

Lexx

• Rotator
  • Mexican Apple Thief
« Reply #52 on: July 11, 2011, 07:16:55 am »

did you ever think, after all the suffering of Cvet and the rest of the devs, that the old way of animation is better?
I mean like in the original Fallouts:

No.
« Reply #53 on: July 11, 2011, 01:30:52 pm »

A lot of people like the old animations the 3d ones will be as close to them as they can Karpov did it good.
The only problem with the old frms is that its time consuming to make new ones Lexx worked on new critters so he knows it just like all who ever tried to make one.
Look at the new hero looks bald and long hair dude they took a lot of time to get finished implementing new armors models would take the same amount of time if we stick to 2d.
Still 3d isn't superior toward 2d it just makes things easier (especially mass producing new critters).
With nice texture size and with some in game filters the models will be able to look just like 2d sprites.
« Reply #54 on: July 11, 2011, 02:53:49 pm »

Personally I absolutely love the original sprites and animations - but I also love the fact that we will eventually get to the point where simply recolouring one texture magically gives us full sets of animation for every type of body, with every type of weapon. Once a Vault 13 bluesuit has all the possible animations working properly, you change the number on the back - 5 minutes in Photoshop, and your Vault 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 etc all exist, and shortly afterwards, can be fully implemented in game too. No "animation not found" crashes and no "changing sprite when you use a particular weapon" or anything. If someone needs to add an extra animation for a mod, that animation will magically be automatically applied (in all directions) to all characters using the same base model. You can't not love that.

On the other hand, I want those models to fit into the environment and look "correct". Correct colour, correct shape, correct lighting, correct art style, everything. As close to the sprites as is possible - and I will try my best to help the people who can make this happen. I'm not the best modeller or texturer in the world, but I'm getting better. If things aren't good enough, we can always go back and improve things at a later date. The same freedom which allows us to create new characters can also be used to improve those characters. Take a texture, improve it in Photoshop, copy it into the folder. Done. Looks better.

Bartosz

• Rotator
  • There'd better be a killer reason...
« Reply #55 on: July 12, 2011, 02:46:18 pm »

For low resolution graphics at Fallout times, crappy renders looked quite impressive when placed in game

Yes, and even better - high-poly models would look terrible. You would just have too much triangles to put into one pixel, not only it would be overkill, it would also result in terrible artifacts (you may read on that, and on other interesting 3d stuff here )
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Page created in 0.44 seconds with 22 queries.