"Wasteland is harsh"
Home Forum Help Login Register
  • October 06, 2024, 07:16:17 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Play WikiBoy BugTracker Developer's blog

Poll

Would you like to have this feature in game ?

Yes
- 14 (38.9%)
No
- 10 (27.8%)
Not against but prefer old NC
- 12 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 36

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Enable people to choose a color for their character with toggle button  (Read 4683 times)

Maybe the solution for better customization would be to have the choice of customizing our character with a color.

AND like the "F10" button for TC, let the possiblity to put all names in white or with their specific colors.

For example. I will have access to a .txt file where I will put 3 RGB numbers.
That way I will be able to have the same color of my team and be recognized by others.
AND for those who don't want it, they can toggle it off.

Edit: This solution is meant to have an alternative of NC in case it wouldn't come back
Those who voted no please explain: it is an option that you can toggle as I said, you can see colors or not as you like (toggle button like Turn-based/Real-time)

Edit 2: I was just told I was not clear enough, so I will reformulate it as:
 => You choose a color for the name of your character AND other people will be able to see it by a toggle button (toggle on: I see your name in color you chose/ toggle off: current situation (name white/green or red))
just a new customization of a character in fact (difference is you could change it when you want.)

Edit 3: new version

On the computer of the faction, the leader of the faction chooses a color
On the computer, all members can have the personal choice to wear that color or not
Also, all wastelanders will have a toggle button: toggle on: I see names around me in gangs'colors / toggle off: current situation (names white/green or red)

Additional suggestion from Andr3as:

Maybe fix the exploitable feature with a color-change cooldown of X hours/days. I mean if a gang establishes a color they wont change it.
Second Idea: make fixed colors and only 1 gang can choose 1 color.

Additional mixed-suggestion from Doctor Ex/pistacja/Oskarus

Color + gang name (short version)

[The Evil Eyes] Doctor Eex
[TEE] Doctor Eex
And dont let choose what to be dispalyed. What displayed - is short version of gang name. You switch off "show gang names" by hotkey.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2011, 03:05:47 pm by Cryofluid »
TTTLA for a New World Order

Izual

• Roaming entertainer.
    • Youtube

Agreed, but only if this is done in-game through a button, or so.
My Youtube channel.

"Another problem is that we listen to the vocal players, who in many cases are wrong-headed."
- J.E. Sawyer

How about a third color for tagging? Red or green kind of mean there is no grey area (yes i know by default names are grey, but it only means you never encountered the character before), maybe a third color could help, color you could use for *sometimes allies, sometimes ennemy characters*, or *dont shoot on sight but be carefull characters*, for exemples.

Michaelh139

• Goin for 900,000...

It won't work.

People can copy colors from what i understand, so it'll just become a big confusing mess and everyone will prolly toggle it off.

If I misunderstand explain to me please.  It is kinda hard to grasp for some reason....
Whenever I say something, imagine \"In my opinion"/ being in the front of every sentence.

As I understand, you choose a color that other's can see you if they toggle NC on. So if I choose the color grey (in RBG format), then if someone has NC toggle on, then that person will see me grey. Though to be honest I do not see a purpose to this, because if someone knows your team's RBG (or even similar color), then it defeats the purpose of this suggestion.

Andr3aZ

• Endless forum lurker

too exploitable, imagine TC when some trollgang just all change their color to the enemies color?

correct me if i got your idea wrong.

As I understand, you choose a color that other's can see you if they toggle NC on. So if I choose the color grey (in RBG format), then if someone has NC toggle on, then that person will see me grey. Though to be honest I do not see a purpose to this, because if someone knows your team's RBG (or even similar color), then it defeats the purpose of this suggestion.

Well, in fact you have to see this option as an extra customization feature for your character => like choosing a name or like choosing to have longhair => another mean to distinguish oneself among clones.

It won't work.

People can copy colors from what i understand, so it'll just become a big confusing mess and everyone will prolly toggle it off.

If I misunderstand explain to me please.  It is kinda hard to grasp for some reason....

too exploitable, imagine TC when some trollgang just all change their color to the enemies color?

correct me if i got your idea wrong.

=> you are both right and i have to modify it in consequence

=> new version:

On the computer, all members can have the personal choice to wear that color or not
Also, all wastelanders will have a toggle button: toggle on: I see names around me in gangs'colors / toggle off: current situation (names white/green or red)

Of course some malicious gang could still log their faction leader before a battle, go into their base, change the color to have the color of the gang they want to attack, but I think they will be focused soon as all membership color will change consequently. So not a problem I think.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2011, 10:48:50 am by Cryofluid »

Of course some malicious gang could still log their faction leader before a battle, go into their base, change the color to have the color of the gang they want to attack, but I think they will be focused soon as all membership color will change consequently. So not a problem I think.

If owners of the gang will be chosing this colour there will be always this problem. Better solution would be for my faction to chose colours of other factions.
Kill them all and let the god sort them out.

Doctor Eex

• TEE Hive Father

Cryofluid

Colors will not help. Instead of colors, let it be gang name (short version)

[TEE] Doctor Eex

And dont let choose what to be dispalyed. What displayed - is short version of gang name. You switch off "show gang names" by hotkey.

Andr3aZ

• Endless forum lurker

Maybe fix the exploitable feature with a color-change cooldown of X hours/days. I mean if a gang establishes a color they wont change it.
Re: Enable people to choose a color for their character with toggle button
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2011, 11:10:34 am »

Cryofluid

Colors will not help. Instead of colors, let it be gang name (short version)

[TEE] Doctor Eex

Indeed, it would work better in term of efficiency but problem is it adds letters over heads and too many letters make the screen horrible don't you think?

Added in first post.

« Last Edit: April 01, 2011, 11:21:38 am by Cryofluid »

« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2011, 11:13:45 am »

And reading gang name is far more time consuming. But if we have enforced gang names those gangs could also have predefined assigned colour. (unknown to players) This might prevent creating gang with slightly brighter green than someone elses gang just to make confusion.

pistacja

• Ninja-Nurse
    • pistacja69.deviantart.com
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2011, 11:22:06 am »

There are about 20 colours that are different at first look. So there can be only 20 gangs if one colour is for one gang only.

3 letter tags are a much better option. Thats over 1500 unique tags.
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2011, 01:52:14 pm »

There are about 20 colours that are different at first look. So there can be only 20 gangs if one colour is for one gang only.

Thats true. So why not both?
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2011, 03:02:03 pm »

Thats true. So why not both?

suggestion added to first post.

Pages: [1] 2

Page created in 0.118 seconds with 26 queries.