"Wasteland is harsh"
Home Forum Help Login Register
  • September 17, 2024, 10:44:58 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Play WikiBoy BugTracker Developer's blog
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Merchant Hostility timer.  (Read 1388 times)

Merchant Hostility timer.
« on: March 27, 2011, 03:58:22 pm »

Ok, the situation is this. Encounter with brahmin and hub trader group.

I put away my gun so the guards dont go hostile. I then lure the brahmin to the very edge of the area so I can kill them without involving the guards. I basically shoot, run, wait for AP, shoot run and so on.

I can't see the guards at all (with 9 PER) I kill two brahmins with no trouble at loot their bodies. I then kill the 3rd brahmin and loot its body. All of this is happening about 2 hexes from the edge of the area and the guards are nowhere to be seen.

Suddenly, as I'm looting the 3rd Brahmin I get shot. A guard has walked all the way over to me and opened up, he is then followed by the actual trader who proceeds to beat me as I lie on the ground.

Is this a timing thing? Will all npcs go hostile if you remain in the area for a period of time? I'm just trying to understand what set this off so I can avoid it in future.

Ganado

• Dishonest Abe
Re: Merchant Hostility timer.
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2011, 04:05:12 pm »

The encounter you are talking about was only added this session, and I don't think they even meant to put it in there. I think it's a missed remnant of when most of the encounters used to act like this.

As for your question, if you put your gun away, and then draw it back out, they will automatically start to attack you as soon as you take your weapon out again, no matter where you are on the map.
Error while opening cfg file: spawnnpc.cfg
Shit! Damn admins! Always ruining my fun! I guess I'll talk to them. WITH MY FISTS!!!! No seriously, I will write them a nice email or make a thread on the forums or something. Thanks!
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2011, 04:07:30 pm »

So it is just as issue of time? After a couple of minutes this encounter will always go hostile?

EDIT - oh ok now I understand.

Following on from this. Is it possible to hide from NPCs in encounters? Or do they automatically detect you and know exactly where you are regardless of distance, LoS, etc.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2011, 04:14:32 pm by AfriXan »

Ganado

• Dishonest Abe
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2011, 04:09:22 pm »

So it is just as issue of time? After a couple of minutes this encounter will always go hostile?
If you keep your weapon away when they shout at you, they will never go hostile. If you don't ever put your weapon away after spawning on the map, they will go hostile after a few seconds, unless they are busy fighting someone else.

After you put your weapon away, you got it back out to kill the brahmin, and this caused them to attack you.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2011, 04:11:10 pm by Dishonest Abe »
Shit! Damn admins! Always ruining my fun! I guess I'll talk to them. WITH MY FISTS!!!! No seriously, I will write them a nice email or make a thread on the forums or something. Thanks!
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2011, 04:16:28 pm »

If you keep your weapon away when they shout at you, they will never go hostile. If you don't ever put your weapon away after spawning on the map, they will go hostile after a few seconds, unless they are busy fighting someone else.

After you put your weapon away, you got it back out to kill the brahmin, and this caused them to attack you.

Thanks for clarifying. And they will know that I have my weapon out regardless of where I am, if they can see me and all that?

Crazy

• Drugged Childkiller
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2011, 04:22:00 pm »

It's always made me laugh when they histerically shout you to put down your weapon, when they have pathetic firepower against 3 well stuffed guys with heavy weapons, and are obviously killed when trying to attack.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2011, 05:01:56 pm by Crazy »
When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk

Member of the Most Hated Faction
TTTLA, for Great Justice !
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2011, 04:24:08 pm »

OK.... Now Hub Police are shooting me in encounters when I'm obviously unarmed. Has this thing just screwed my rep with them permanently?

Ganado

• Dishonest Abe
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2011, 04:27:21 pm »

OK.... Now Hub Police are shooting me in encounters when I'm obviously unarmed. Has this thing just screwed my rep with them permanently?
Not permanently. Your rep goes down a little each real-life day. You did one of two things: You accidentally hit a Hub guard, or you did something in the Hub city that made you unprotected, and therefore lose reputation, such as block a gate, fail steal, or attack a protected NPC/player.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 22 queries.