Author Topic: Character Animations  (Read 129634 times)

Re: Character Animations
« Reply #360 on: May 22, 2012, 01:36:06 pm »
The following animation is more like a placeholder I decided to go through on the main animations and have the basics laid out. So in case someone wish to do some testings in game with the mutant he/she has a chance to check out some stuffs.
Still even though its just a placeholder you are free and welcomed to comment on the (lack of) quality:)

Its basically the BA and CJ animation.

JovankaB

« Reply #361 on: May 22, 2012, 02:03:56 pm »
I love it! Although maybe because of the way the legs move a bit like sliding motion,
he looks a bit too much like he fell on ice :)
« Last Edit: May 22, 2012, 02:05:44 pm by JovankaB »

« Reply #362 on: May 22, 2012, 04:31:19 pm »
I like it, you do it much better than me, godspeed. :)
Wasteland is a tricky business.

« Reply #363 on: May 22, 2012, 06:46:06 pm »
Thanks for the comments here are a few more.

Falling is in a slow motion.

Offline Gray

« Reply #364 on: May 23, 2012, 04:54:45 pm »
Thanks for the comments here are a few more.

Falling is in a slow motion.
awesome

« Reply #365 on: May 23, 2012, 08:20:18 pm »
I feel it is too smooth =) He is moving a bit like if he was in water. But with some modifications it can be good i think =)

« Reply #366 on: May 24, 2012, 10:15:40 am »
Thanks for the feedback. They mainly are placeholders, I wish I can go through with all anims so in game testing can be done. Though now I wondering how to make the cut in half, melting and blown to pieces animations.

« Reply #367 on: May 24, 2012, 10:34:05 am »
Thanks for the feedback. They mainly are placeholders, I wish I can go through with all anims so in game testing can be done. Though now I wondering how to make the cut in half, melting and blown to pieces animations.

The animations look sweet!

For the new animations you'll probably need for each a separate model with new riggings. For cutting and half - two parts, the cut covered with bloody-textured face, the bottom perhaps with bone sticking out. It could be textured partly with projection painting and partly with UV for the bloody parts. No idea how you do it with melting, though.

Offline Luther Blissett

« Reply #368 on: May 24, 2012, 02:18:44 pm »
Yeah, there's a "man cut into bits" version of the character model, which I think contains little red chunks to splat all over the place. Beyond that, you'll have to check with Karpov.

« Reply #369 on: May 24, 2012, 11:48:06 pm »
Could it be that Karpov declared the supermutant the separate creature? In this case Jotisz has more freedom for creating.
Wasteland is a tricky business.

« Reply #370 on: May 25, 2012, 10:38:15 am »
Well I think that going with different approaches could lead to some inconsistence thats why I dropped a PM to Karpov to verify a few things so I may have the animations made in a similar way.

Though I will do some tries in the mean just to see how things would go.

Offline Karpov

• Come Together
« Reply #371 on: June 01, 2012, 11:43:35 pm »
Thanks for the samurai instructions. I though of the Samurai technique as an advanced melee level special training. If you are not trained, then you will hold the wakizashi as a regular knife. But yakuzas hold it ancient japanese style, and a player must have high melee skill to be trained. Just an idea anyway...

Someone asked about that smg going back to the main state. It's true, it happens because I have 1 animation after the other. It's just a matter of fixing the frames.

About animating process: I was never an animator. I had a little experience in 3dsmax, but I learnt most of it while working on this. I see Jotisz is making better animations every time and I'm sure he also learns in the process. None of us is a professional, but we are sure doing our best.

Jotisz, something I forgot to answer by PM: The gore is a different file, even though I animate all toghether of course, it is exported as _deathanimgore.x and it is animated as a weapon in vbweapons.fo3d    ...it works... that's what matters  :P
 Inside this file you have some chunks of flesh some blood and the skeleton that shows when the plasma death is called. This model is attached the same way the muzzle flashes are attached, even in the same layer value, and they play their animation along with the model.

About my respawn timer thing: I know I'm sometimes away for a week or more, I'm sorry about that. Some days I don't even turn on my PC.

About the good news

I'm planning on uploading those critical death animations. Right now I'm working on the female. Once I'm done I'll try to rename some stuff to make everything clear and upload. My coding is not brilliant , the anims work only for your player, so you can't kill another guy with a laser rifle critical, but for testing purposes it is enough.

Offline Luther Blissett

« Reply #372 on: June 02, 2012, 12:45:18 am »
Excellent. If you do anything complicated in the fo3d files, you can always stick some #comment lines in there to explain what things are.

Would the NPCs die without blood even, or is it just the criticals at the moment?

Offline Karpov

• Come Together
« Reply #373 on: June 02, 2012, 11:45:23 pm »
NPCs die twice...  ;D 
You see, in the script run the Change body command, and then play the animation. This is not right somehow, because the chacacter changes their body and appears dead on the floor without playing any animation. My solution was to play it twice. It may not be the right way to do it. Maybe some wait command , or flush, stop animation, or something similar would be better. It works perfectly anyway. The problem is that I couldn't make the critter to change its body, so I change the player's body directly. For testing, it works great, but killing an NPC would change my body instead, and the NPC would play the animation with the standard model...twice  ;D

So, basically, I have to get myself killed every time. Of course, if someone else knows about coding, it would be great to have it fixed.

I'll try to use comments, and erase useless lines. But basically, I'm going to change all of the "VB" named files, so nobody, including me, gets confused.

This is the converted animations for the female character. It came out better than I expected. Now I have to match the gore to this model. Right now it's using the gore from the male model.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-6kZ2Rfb1E" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-6kZ2Rfb1E</a>

I still have to correct some things like the weapons falling , and all of the gore for the female, including the skeleton.

Offline Luther Blissett

« Reply #374 on: June 03, 2012, 02:06:51 am »
Poor NPCs :(

Am I right in thinking that any armour on the model would add another level of complexity to this, i.e. you would also have to switch the armour to a "choppable" version and so on?

I think we're definitely getting to the stage where a coder is going to be pretty essential to finish this stuff off - I think the animations are looking great, but sooner or later, those NPCs are going to need to die once, and with blood and gore :)