Author Topic: Character Animations  (Read 128181 times)

Offline Gray

Re: Character Animations
« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2011, 08:37:36 pm »
Another question: is it really necessary to move the magazine during the animation? I don't know any non-shooter game doing so.

Offline Haraldx

• This forum... The memories... The history...
« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2011, 08:44:41 pm »
Another question: is it really necessary to move the magazine during the animation? I don't know any non-shooter game doing so.
FOnline not a shooter? ;D Gray, you made a great joke! PK, Grid camping, TC and hunting is done by shooting...

Back to topic: I think some modern (REALLY modern) games have it. Some of them are strategy games (I think Dawn of War 2: Warhammer 40k had this feature, however, I'm not sure)
I still can be reached over e-mail if you somehow need anything from me. Don't see a reason why you would, but if you do, e-mail remains the safest bet, as I do not visit this forum reliably anymore.

Offline LagMaster

• No. 1 Topic Starter
« Reply #32 on: February 18, 2011, 08:45:53 pm »

we need to ad some level of realism, Gray, so i think it is a yes, but is not that hard

i am thinking for an animation for rifles:
1.PC relases the old mag (0.2seconds)
2.mag falls all over the ground and PC takes new mag from pocket(0.3-0.4seconds)
3.old mag bounces a bit from the ground and the PC introduces the new mag in the gun(0.3-0.4seconds)
4.PC loads manualy the first bullet(0.2 seconds)

so the animation will be of maximum 1.5 seconds long, we can do some versions for miniguns(pulls a box and introduces other one(like in FNV)) flamers.Laser rifles(pulls out the flfuel canister and inserts other one) and even pistols(something like the 9mm pistol reload animation from FNV)
so we will have 1.5 seconds reload times. (and why not a perk that reduces it with 1 second(nah))

Offline Lexx

• Rotator
  • Mexican Apple Thief
« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2011, 08:47:54 pm »
The mag is so small, you will hardly ever see it.

Offline Haraldx

« Reply #34 on: February 18, 2011, 08:51:28 pm »
(and why not a perk that reduces it with 1 second(nah))
Quick pockets anyone?
I still can be reached over e-mail if you somehow need anything from me. Don't see a reason why you would, but if you do, e-mail remains the safest bet, as I do not visit this forum reliably anymore.

Offline LagMaster

• No. 1 Topic Starter
« Reply #35 on: February 18, 2011, 09:01:48 pm »
The mag is so small, you will hardly ever see it.
Lexx, some "idle" animations(for unarmed is head scrach) have a reloading animation(like male-SMG) where you can SEE the mag flying, so why can't we have 3D animations for reloading

and for some guns(like flamer of minigun) the mag will actualy be seen

but as Haraldx said:
Back to topic: I think some modern (REALLY modern) games have it. Some of them are strategy games (I think Dawn of War 2: Warhammer 40k had this feature, however, I'm not sure)
so this will be a nice feature, also current reload is not that good(semi-shot)

Offline Gray

« Reply #36 on: February 18, 2011, 10:17:52 pm »
FOnline not a shooter? ;D Gray, you made a great joke! PK, Grid camping, TC and hunting is done by shooting...
Humor, I hope? I was talking about first-person shooters. Even "7.62" - the most detailed squad combat simulator I ever saw - do not have such a feature.
Definitely not.

I just want you to comprehend the scale of work. Almost each type of weapon has at least three different clip types.
Rifles: classic (assault, FAL, etc), bull-pup (XL70E3, all shotguns), front loading (G11)
SMGs: classic (M3A1, tommy, 10 mm) and bull-pup (P90)
Pistols: drum (all revolvers, 10 mm, .223), rifle-type (mauser, gauss, 14mm), handle clip (eagle), upside loading (needler)
Heavy: valving tank (flamers), ammo box (M60), rifle-type (bozar), bull-pup (LSW), backside loading (RL), cartridge belt (miniguns), unknown!!! (vindicator)

Each type has unique holstering pose => different animation. It's 16 different animations just for 2-sec action.

Offline LagMaster

• No. 1 Topic Starter
« Reply #37 on: February 18, 2011, 10:24:03 pm »
Humor, I hope? I was talking about first-person shooters. Even "7.62" - the most detailed squad combat simulator I ever saw - do not have such a feature.Definitely not.

I just want you to comprehend the scale of work. Almost each type of weapon has at least three different clip types.
Rifles: classic (assault, FAL, etc), bull-pup (XL70E3, all shotguns), front loading (G11)
SMGs: classic (M3A1, tommy, 10 mm) and bull-pup (P90)
Pistols: drum (all revolvers, 10 mm, .223), rifle-type (mauser, gauss, 14mm), handle clip (eagle), upside loading (needler)
Heavy: valving tank (flamers), ammo box (M60), rifle-type (bozar), bull-pup (LSW), backside loading (RL), cartridge belt (miniguns), unknown!!! (vindicator)

Each type has unique holstering pose => different animation. It's 16 different animations just for 2-sec action.
in this case, let's start working!!!!!

Offline Gray

« Reply #38 on: February 18, 2011, 10:32:40 pm »
in this case, let's start working!!!!!
Just one problem: we have the only good animator. And he is busy with more important things.

Offline LagMaster

• No. 1 Topic Starter
« Reply #39 on: February 18, 2011, 10:34:27 pm »
Just one problem: we have the only good animator. And he is busy with more important things.
waiting, waiting never changes

allright then, let's first focus on teh important stuff and then with this

Offline Reiniat

• Humanhunter
« Reply #40 on: February 19, 2011, 05:38:42 am »

man youre talking about some MMORPGS now i will talk about FPS:
THere is not a game with this feature exept Gears Of War 2
All the call of duty saga, even the las Black Ops have this feature
Farcry, Crysis, Halo, no one have it
Gearsofwar havee it, but the game is really detailistic and less combative, in only holds 10 IA in game so is shit
also games in 3 person view dont have it, like GTA

No matter with reloading, just do the correct animations
Current char: Oblivion, Oceansoul, Black Tears

Sorry for my bad english
Quote from: Santa Anna
Any action or inaction in a position of power will always grant you enemies

Offline Karpov

• Come Together
« Reply #41 on: February 19, 2011, 07:48:00 pm »
I was a bit worried about special death animations, after spending so much time thinking how to achieve these , and test over and over, I came to this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-Lc81Fb_ZU

It is not the best way though, but the only one I can think about  :-\ 
You have to set up the critter before you blow him into pieces. First you make him invisible and then you attach an alternative body which is dismembered as if it were an armor. Then the "armor" plays an animation along with the character (which is invisible) and there you go.
It is not an easy thing to do.

Offline Haraldx

« Reply #42 on: February 19, 2011, 08:28:27 pm »
Looking good. But... isn't it easier to separate the model itself in different parts? Also, you might need to make limbs covered in blood (not the blood on ground or anything, but blood on the body).

Also, rocket explosion effect: Can you make the body parts fly higher? For now it seems the smoke ate the human.
laser effect: Bit slower please?

Offline Gray

« Reply #43 on: February 19, 2011, 10:32:08 pm »
I was a bit worried about special death animations, after spending so much time thinking how to achieve these , and test over and over, I came to this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-Lc81Fb_ZU
Great. Just slow them down a little and all will be OK.
Somebody should think how to add some blood effects.

Offline Karpov

• Come Together
« Reply #44 on: February 19, 2011, 11:50:44 pm »
Yeah, it's just a test. I needed to find a way to create those animations. But I still need to make them use the character custom values. I managed to make it use the skin tone - if you look at the top right corner there is another body sliced in two- , now I will try with the attachments. It can be very difficult. If everything goes right, I can make better animations.