Author Topic: Character Animations  (Read 128173 times)

Offline Karpov

• Come Together
Character Animations
« on: February 17, 2011, 04:53:13 pm »
Here is the animation list:

It is up to date at revision 79 of 3D repository.

I found that dodge animations need to be done too  :( But it is almost complete.

New Video , Minigun: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjBu4RHNaYY

I had to change the holster animation, what do you think?
I used Harald's model, with new texturing.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2011, 08:22:13 am by Graf »

Offline Izual

• Roaming entertainer.
    • Youtube
Re: Character Animations
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2011, 05:08:22 pm »
It looks great (holstering, bullets falling on the ground, weapon in the back of the character..!). However, I think the firing animation needs to last a bit longer and also to be a bit more "moving", if you know what I mean. It's hard, from a safe distance, to see the difference with the normal idle minigun animation (I think :P).
Great work as always.
My Youtube channel.

"Another problem is that we listen to the vocal players, who in many cases are wrong-headed."
- J.E. Sawyer

Offline JovankaB

• Rotator
  • JovankaB
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2011, 05:25:10 pm »
Maybe you could add muzzle flash when firing. Just some yellow-orange "triangles"...
« Last Edit: February 17, 2011, 05:28:57 pm by JovankaB »

Offline Haraldx

• This forum... The memories... The history...
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2011, 05:31:24 pm »
Heh, the model just looks frickin epic in-game. Great work on the texture and the animation, but I think it just needs more sway - a real minigun has more recoil. You can also take a look at Fallout 3 minigun, each shot actually makes the character "jump" a bit.
I still can be reached over e-mail if you somehow need anything from me. Don't see a reason why you would, but if you do, e-mail remains the safest bet, as I do not visit this forum reliably anymore.

Offline Karpov

• Come Together
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2011, 05:37:20 pm »
Ok, I see what you mean, I will repeat some frames an the end. The arms move up and down very fast while firing, along with the back and the legs a bit. I could make that motion to be more evident without zoom, but I would not want to exaggerate it.
 The guy in the original sprites holstered the weapon to the left, and then it suddenly disappeared , like if he put it into some kind of magical pocket. So I had to change it, but I could not make it holster to the left,  so I made it to the right and from there to the back. Maybe it should have some kind of harness when the minigun is equiped or in the back.

I sure could add some muzzle flash, but It would not look very good if it is just geometry, also it would not be lit in the dark. If I had alpha and luminance map support in the engine it would be great, but I would need to compile a shader and I don't know how to do that  :-\ .

Offline Lexx

• Rotator
  • Mexican Apple Thief
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2011, 06:19:49 pm »
I always thought the player is holding the minigun more on his right leg, to kind of stabilize it. In the video it looks like his groin are the stabilizer now. :p

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2011, 06:29:21 pm »
I think he could be a bit more bend backwords overally, too keep the balance. I dont know how the model looks on the side, but in old sprites you can see that very well on when char is placed sideways. Very nice details btw  8)

Offline Haraldx

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2011, 06:47:25 pm »
I always thought the player is holding the minigun more on his right leg, to kind of stabilize it. In the video it looks like his groin are the stabilizer now. :p
Groin massage  ;D ;D ;D Sorry for the off-topic, but just couldn't resist!
I still can be reached over e-mail if you somehow need anything from me. Don't see a reason why you would, but if you do, e-mail remains the safest bet, as I do not visit this forum reliably anymore.

Offline Karpov

• Come Together
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2011, 06:55:03 pm »

It is the left leg actually, I placed it right on front of it, perhaps you just can't see that in the video.

I think he could be a bit more bend backwords overally, too keep the balance. I dont know how the model looks on the side, but in old sprites you can see that very well on when char is placed sideways. Very nice details btw  8)

The guy leans back, but I don't know if it is the right angle.

Offline Crazy

• Drugged Childkiller
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2011, 08:17:07 pm »
Btw, does Gray or any other modder could help you with shader? I think the animation really miss it to be more "alive"
When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk

Member of the Most Hated Faction
TTTLA, for Great Justice !

Offline Lexx

• Rotator
  • Mexican Apple Thief
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2011, 08:20:15 pm »
All weapons are missing particle effects right now. :p Muzzleflash, flameburn, plasmacast, etc. still needs to be done for the weapons.

Offline Haraldx

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2011, 08:21:26 pm »
All weapons are missing particle effects right now. :p Muzzleflash, flameburn, plasmacast, etc. still needs to be done for the weapons.
Will the flamer effect be a particle effect too?

Offline Lexx

• Rotator
  • Mexican Apple Thief
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2011, 08:22:12 pm »
It has to be. Right now, it's includet in the 2d critter animation. I think it will be hard to recreate it's look, if not impossible.

« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2011, 08:26:05 pm »
It has to be. Right now, it's includet in the 2d critter animation. I think it will be hard to recreate it's look, if not impossible.

Couldn't it remain 2D, like firing a rocket?  I could be completely wrong.

Offline Solar

• Rotator
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2011, 08:54:44 pm »
Would it be possible to make Aiming/Bursting/Normal single shots have different animations for the small guns? A problem I have making Fast Shot work is that whatever I do with the stats, the animation speed is the factor which controls how many shots you can get off.

If single shot was a faster animation it would be a great help to the char type.
Quote from: Woodrow Wilson
If you want to make enemies, try to change something.