Author Topic: New to modeling?  (Read 11992 times)

Offline Gray

Re: 3D Development Programmes
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2011, 08:52:49 am »
Hi Im interested in help community with 3D developement but I want to know the software I need to use with this...
Thanks
You may use any soft you want, but the models should be of .MAX, .3DS or .OBJ formats.

Offline LagMaster

• No. 1 Topic Starter
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2011, 05:02:17 pm »
wings 3D,maya, 3DsMAX...

what you can find, but please export the models in .obj

Offline Haraldx

• This forum... The memories... The history...
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2011, 05:47:36 pm »
I'm pretty sure this has been answered about 6 times now... Yes, I'm trying to count it :P
This topic might be useful to you: http://fodev.net/forum/index.php?topic=13902.0
I still can be reached over e-mail if you somehow need anything from me. Don't see a reason why you would, but if you do, e-mail remains the safest bet, as I do not visit this forum reliably anymore.

« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2011, 08:35:22 pm »
Fbx should be good too. Graf checked it the blender fbx exporter works good with 3d max (it was with a simple animation).
would be bad if not cause I wanna animate the ghoul I made

Offline jonny rust

• Caravan Dan
Re: New to modeling?
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2011, 08:10:47 pm »
I'd like to help but I'm not sure where to download existing .obj models, I looked in the repository but only found .X files.

thanks!

Offline Haraldx

• This forum... The memories... The history...
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2011, 09:18:19 pm »
Repository is made so it can be used already in-game, as the engine uses .x format models etc. You can ask Graf for models in .obj or other formats.
I still can be reached over e-mail if you somehow need anything from me. Don't see a reason why you would, but if you do, e-mail remains the safest bet, as I do not visit this forum reliably anymore.

Offline jonny rust

• Caravan Dan
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2011, 09:58:19 pm »
Repository is made so it can be used already in-game, as the engine uses .x format models etc. You can ask Graf for models in .obj or other formats.

thanks, i'll PM him

« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2011, 07:03:23 am »
LOL I just made my first 3d model and it barely looked like a human at all lol

Anyways I have 2 questions
1. Can I use Blender ?
2. I made a gun looking model, it looks, not that bad for a first try I guess, Its based on the 10mm, If I want to suggest to be added in the game, I post in the suggestions ? (Ofcourse when the 3d ERAH *blindning light* comes)

Offline Graf

• "Next Day" developer
« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2011, 09:30:06 am »
Yes, you can use any software you want to, just make sure to export your model into the one of wide-used file formats, like .3ds or .obj. Also, if you're using Blender, textures are normally lost after exporting, so try to "bake" the texture to the model before exporting (ctrl+alt+b by default). I'm not sure if this would help, though.

Regarding the new model of the gun - most likely it wouldn't be added right after 3d implementing, as we already have all necessary weapon models. Still, if you want to see your model in-game - make a new item from the miscellaneous items tracker (address can be seen in my signature).

« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2011, 01:28:31 pm »
I just finished my first 3d model and when I looked at it then looked at the other people's work I realised mine is just awfull  :o  ;D
« Last Edit: August 02, 2011, 07:26:42 pm by Graf »

Offline Graf

• "Next Day" developer
« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2011, 01:41:48 pm »
Nobody was a professional from the beginning. My own first model has 12 tris in total, but later I've moved to the more complicated models (though I'm far away from our professionals). So keep trying and you'll be able to make a cool models ;)

Offline Luther Blissett

« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2011, 06:33:34 pm »
Same as Graf - though additionally, trying to make a humanoid or gun for your first model is going to be very difficult. I don't think I could make a good human model now, to be honest, never mind when I first started. I wouldn't get too disheartened.

Humans are so... inny-outy-bendy and curvy. I'd be inclined to start with things which are as close as possible to being boxes or cylinders... so... a low-polygon spaceship is just a box with three triangles stuck on it... and a truck is an L-shaped box, with another box on it, with a bunch of cylinders underneath it etc.

To pick some easy ones from the tracker, look at :

Envelope : Put that texture on a very thin rectangular box

Leaflet : Make a flat rectangular box, make 3 or 4 lines through it, and bend them up and down alternately, then stick a texture on it

14mm AP : That's mostly just a box. A few bits stick in and out, but it's mostly a box. Stick a texture on it.

Metal case : A box with a texture on it.

Anyway, those kind of things would probably be far more suitable for first modelling attempts, and are obviously easy to do when compared to making a human. In low-poly models like this, the texturing is probably more important than the modelling - so make sure to brush up on your photoshop skills as well. With some of these models, you can 'bake' the sprite over the model, then fill in the missing bits afterwards.

Offline jonny rust

• Caravan Dan
« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2011, 03:25:01 pm »
Does anyone else here use Blender? I'm having some problems exporting to .obj (which drops vert coords) and .3ds (which drops UV coords), would appreciate any help, thanks!

Offline Luther Blissett

« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2011, 05:36:39 pm »
I know Jotisz has been doing so for ages. I have Blender, but don't use it often - so I could probably find out eventually by trying things myself, but obviously if someone knows already, that'd be much quicker.

Offline jonny rust

• Caravan Dan
« Reply #29 on: September 12, 2011, 06:20:26 pm »
I know Jotisz has been doing so for ages. I have Blender, but don't use it often - so I could probably find out eventually by trying things myself, but obviously if someone knows already, that'd be much quicker.

thanks, ill PM Jotisz