FOnline Development > 3D Development

New to modeling?

(1/6) > >>

bikkebakke:
Started this thread so we don't clog other areas with question regarding modeling.

So first off, if you are completely new to 3d modeling I suggest you first find a program in which you want to work in, 3ds max, blender, maya etc.etc.

Once you have a program that you might like, just go to youtube and start watching tutorials... This is the single most effective way to learn 3d modeling, you might don't want to sit through 40 tutorial videos but trust me, it will be much easier to watch them than to try and figure out all by yourself, of course, there are still many things you will not know after watching them, but the tutorial is mainly just for getting to know the interface and how the program works.  (you might not need to watch though that many but I usually sat and watched at the same time as I was doing stuff in 3ds max)

After that all you can do is start working on models, I think the best thing to do is good models, not many, try to make them as good looking and as possible instead of just making a million bad ones.

So ask questions here about help in the 3d modeling area, so we can keep the other threads clear ;)

Cryptopsy:

--- Quote from: Cryptopsy on February 16, 2011, 09:55:21 pm ---Okay, I have 3ds max up and running also, i imported the male hero.obj. but for some reason, i cant get a frontsie view of him. i only see him laying down, and overhead view. anyone familiar with 3ds max, can you shed some light?

ALSO: I would really like to know what program is being used to make such models as Ztormi's...

As they are some of the best I have seen. Also, where to get the body models? Thanks in advance! :)

--- End quote ---

bikkebakke:
i can just bump this up here:

--- Quote ---look at some 3ds max tutorials to learn the interface and how to create things, it takes some time.

What you have to do is just rotate the character, first select the character so he is... selected... then select the rotate icon (looks like a arrow going in a circle), then rotate in the X-axel (at the bottom there should be a few boxes - X:[number] Y:[number] Z:[number], just drag the arrows next to the X:[] box, to -90 I think, this should make him stand up. But I think you should look at some tutorials first.

--- End quote ---

well, you have the base body model (but untextured, i think its the same :/) and these are the programs that supports .obj files:
3ds Max
Blender
Cinema 4D
Maya
Poser
SharpConstruct
ZBrush

I know SharpConstruct uses .obj as a base saveformat (i think at least) so it might be from there.

Ztormi:
3ds max is great and I love it.
You will need a lot of patience, practise and time.

Luther Blissett:
Wings3D will happily import obj and 3ds as well. It can't animate models, but it's probably as quick, easy and intuitive as you can get for basic modelling (especially when compared with Blender). It'd be my recommendation for a beginner, as though it lacks depth in some places, it's legally free, and so straightforward that you can probably make something pretty good within your first hour of trying to use it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version