Author Topic: New to modeling?  (Read 12088 times)

Offline bikkebakke

• I'll show those FOnliners how RT is supposed to be
New to modeling?
« on: February 16, 2011, 10:23:35 pm »
Started this thread so we don't clog other areas with question regarding modeling.

So first off, if you are completely new to 3d modeling I suggest you first find a program in which you want to work in, 3ds max, blender, maya etc.etc.

Once you have a program that you might like, just go to youtube and start watching tutorials... This is the single most effective way to learn 3d modeling, you might don't want to sit through 40 tutorial videos but trust me, it will be much easier to watch them than to try and figure out all by yourself, of course, there are still many things you will not know after watching them, but the tutorial is mainly just for getting to know the interface and how the program works.  (you might not need to watch though that many but I usually sat and watched at the same time as I was doing stuff in 3ds max)

After that all you can do is start working on models, I think the best thing to do is good models, not many, try to make them as good looking and as possible instead of just making a million bad ones.

So ask questions here about help in the 3d modeling area, so we can keep the other threads clear ;)
« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 10:27:43 pm by bikkebakke »
Gussiplurr - activehttp://fo2238.fodev.net/status/STATUS

Offline Cryptopsy

• Smoke Break Until Wipe
Re: New to modeling?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2011, 10:31:06 pm »
Okay, I have 3ds max up and running also, i imported the male hero.obj. but for some reason, i cant get a frontsie view of him. i only see him laying down, and overhead view. anyone familiar with 3ds max, can you shed some light?

ALSO: I would really like to know what program is being used to make such models as Ztormi's...

As they are some of the best I have seen. Also, where to get the body models? Thanks in advance! :)

Offline bikkebakke

• I'll show those FOnliners how RT is supposed to be
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2011, 11:05:22 pm »
i can just bump this up here:

look at some 3ds max tutorials to learn the interface and how to create things, it takes some time.

What you have to do is just rotate the character, first select the character so he is... selected... then select the rotate icon (looks like a arrow going in a circle), then rotate in the X-axel (at the bottom there should be a few boxes - X:[number] Y:[number] Z:[number], just drag the arrows next to the X:[] box, to -90 I think, this should make him stand up. But I think you should look at some tutorials first.

well, you have the base body model (but untextured, i think its the same :/) and these are the programs that supports .obj files:
3ds Max
Blender
Cinema 4D
Maya
Poser
SharpConstruct
ZBrush

I know SharpConstruct uses .obj as a base saveformat (i think at least) so it might be from there.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 11:11:01 pm by bikkebakke »
Gussiplurr - activehttp://fo2238.fodev.net/status/STATUS

Offline Ztormi

• A questionable sexual device
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2011, 11:25:40 pm »
3ds max is great and I love it.
You will need a lot of patience, practise and time.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 11:30:19 pm by Ztormi »

Offline Luther Blissett

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2011, 12:14:16 am »
Wings3D will happily import obj and 3ds as well. It can't animate models, but it's probably as quick, easy and intuitive as you can get for basic modelling (especially when compared with Blender). It'd be my recommendation for a beginner, as though it lacks depth in some places, it's legally free, and so straightforward that you can probably make something pretty good within your first hour of trying to use it.

Offline LagMaster

• No. 1 Topic Starter
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2011, 01:13:02 pm »
i learn to work in 3D with UDK, here is a link, but it is moastly for level making
link http://www.udk.com/

Offline Haraldx

• This forum... The memories... The history...
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2011, 01:29:26 pm »
UDK is mostly high-poly count only, as it's a next gen engine.

Wings3D is fine, take a look at some tutorials, even speed modeling videos (mostly you will find out how to correctly use the tools you are given). No animations can be done tho. Texturing, applying all kind of shaders, lights and maybe other stuff however is possible. It's one of the easiest stuff you will find these days as mostly everything is done by just pressing the left and right click on the model. Can import few file types, however can export more. Absolutely free too.
I still can be reached over e-mail if you somehow need anything from me. Don't see a reason why you would, but if you do, e-mail remains the safest bet, as I do not visit this forum reliably anymore.

Offline LagMaster

• No. 1 Topic Starter
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2011, 01:32:18 pm »
i know that, but is good for new 3D devs

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2011, 08:39:56 pm »
Cinema 4D is very great to make video intro's in HD but also very great to make game modells.

Offline Alvarez

• Forget the past, go outside and have a blast
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2011, 11:43:58 am »
I suggest to make a sticky topic with starting materials, like basic human meshes, tool references and some more basic tutorials.

Offline DanteAligheri

• Sometimes I don't finish all my sandwich.
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2011, 06:13:47 am »
Hey out of all of the programs mentioned, which one is the most lightweight while still being a good one to start off with?

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2011, 03:04:18 pm »
Wings 3d / Blender.
Wings 3d is easy and very lightweight, while it's hard to make something really amazing. Blender is good for making amazing things while it's way harder to get used to it. There are plenty of tutorials around the net (youtube/modelling sites) for these two.
Cheers.
Don't call me your brother
'cause I ain't your fucking brother.
We fell from different cunts,
and your skins an ugly color!

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2011, 10:15:08 am »

Wooot? :o

3D Development Programmes
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2011, 01:37:00 am »
Hi Im interested in help community with 3D developement but I want to know the software I need to use with this...
Thanks

Re: 3D Development Programmes
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2011, 02:51:28 am »
3dsmax
Help us to keep Jagged Alliance as a turn-based game!
Please sign the petition! http://www.petitiononline.com/ja2r/petition.html