Author Topic: Questions and Answers 3D (read the first post before asking a question)  (Read 143454 times)

Offline Graf

• "Next Day" developer
Re: Questions and Answers 3D (read the first post before asking a question)
« Reply #360 on: June 18, 2012, 07:49:30 pm »
Is there other projects than 2238 that use 3d?

I'd answer to this.

Nope, there isn't any of them, that are "up and running", but there was at least 3 or 4 project representatives has been asking for permission to use the 2238 community works. To every single of them it's been said to get permission from participants of the 3D project (e.g. contributors), and I'm not sure how many of them has asked anyone other than me. My guess is that none of them did so. 

Offline Luther Blissett

« Reply #361 on: June 18, 2012, 08:30:41 pm »
I'm also making a lot of stuff for Surf's What Remains mod, but in a sense it's all pretty interchangeable if the models are of any use for anything else.

[edit] To Graf, you could perhaps remind them to ask again. The main one is Karpov's permission, as it includes base models and all animations. It's fairly easy to build things on top of that framework. It would be a very good thing if a few more projects were using them, because sharing works both ways - they will discover or create new things that can be used here too.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2012, 08:48:43 pm by Luther Blissett »

« Reply #362 on: June 19, 2012, 09:18:37 am »
Is there other projects than 2238 that use 3d?

Although Olympus 2207 uses normal 2d frms and its not Fonline engine based, but they made those characters from high poly 3d models they animated. According to what I heard some of their models made it to some other Fonline games.
http://olympus2207.com/
here is a demo reel showing the deaths
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ecJ0PJ2395s

« Reply #363 on: June 19, 2012, 09:39:46 am »
That looks pretty impressive, Jotisz. I suspect the guys made a extensive batch script to insert frames and offsets for rendered images, so... It would be interesting to recreate such technology.

Yet, that is a lot of frames.

Offline Gob

• The Good
« Reply #364 on: November 03, 2012, 06:55:46 pm »
Why do russians make such good games  ???

« Reply #365 on: November 08, 2012, 02:49:31 pm »
What can be opened. X for edit?

Offline Luther Blissett

« Reply #366 on: November 09, 2012, 05:32:14 am »
There are probably several programs which will do this, but I have been using Fragmotion (Website link) to open the .X files. It should open any of the game's .x files (model or animation) directly.

There's a little bit of info on using it in the tutorial links here : 3D Tutorials and Links.

« Reply #367 on: November 10, 2012, 04:07:17 pm »
I would suggest using Blender although by default x import and export isn't possible you have to turn it on in the addons section of user preferences. You can find download link for Blender here Fragmotion is good choice too though if you wish to make some modification to existing models too I would suggest Blender you could try the trial version of 3d Studio Max too.

« Reply #368 on: November 21, 2012, 05:06:56 pm »
Is anyone doing anything related to 3d atm?

Offline Mike Crosser

• Gambling: 60%
« Reply #369 on: November 21, 2012, 06:52:24 pm »
Is anyone doing anything related to 3d atm?
I'd also like to get an answer for this question.

Offline Luther Blissett

« Reply #370 on: November 21, 2012, 07:40:20 pm »
I'm slowly tinkering with things on and off, but nothing that'll really give "visual results" at the moment - it's mostly looking at the connections between scripts, objects and layers - basically same stuff as mentioned here. In short summary, that's the "linking stuff" bit from the list below.

There's also quite a bit of missing knowledge in places, for example :
- Getting normal maps working.
- How the gory death animations would work with armour (I believe we may have to make a "broken up" version of every armour item, that separates in the same way as the "death body").
- Bit of confusion about the models not quite working in newer revisions of the SDK.
- Stuff to do with linking all the models up to actual in-game objects. (I'm sort of looking at this part at the moment)
- The problem with the "action" occurring at the start of the animation, so the enemy is shot before the gun is fully raised to fire.

In a sense, those are all things that we either need someone to look at, or a lot of people to help with. At the moment, they're beyond my abilities and beyond my available free time. It's not as much fun as designing and making models, but it's needed to make it all work.

To get anywhere further, the main bits are solving those few problems, and then general coordination. The normal maps and action/animation bits I personally have no idea how to deal with (or have tried and achieved nothing). I've got a vague idea of what needs looking at for the death animations with armour, but don't really understand it.

If anyone can volunteer to have a look at any of them, it would be a massive help, and would have a huge effect on being able to finish all this stuff off.

Offline Lexx

• Rotator
  • Mexican Apple Thief
« Reply #371 on: February 03, 2013, 07:11:08 pm »
The 3d model test we did today turned out to be pretty awesome. Tweaks and fixes are obviously still needed, but in total, the current progress is very good. Here are a few screenshots I took:

Offline Karpov

• Come Together
« Reply #372 on: February 03, 2013, 09:30:56 pm »
It was fun. I really liked how everyone looked different.

The bad thing was some of the players experienced a FPS dropdown. I hope this gets better once I update to the new SDK.

Offline Mike Crosser

• Gambling: 60%
« Reply #373 on: February 03, 2013, 09:45:36 pm »
Quite frankly i'm speechless.
I always worried that the 3d models would look "different" compared to scenery and that they wouldn't blend in.
But,well this looks quite good imho.

Offline Alvarez

• Forget the past, go outside and have a blast
« Reply #374 on: February 03, 2013, 10:59:07 pm »
Will there be graphics stress tests as mass-PvP-events? Because it would be a good opportunity to gather feedback from many people using different hardware setups.