Author Topic: Questions and Answers 3D (read the first post before asking a question)  (Read 143474 times)

Offline LagMaster

• No. 1 Topic Starter
Feel free to ask your questions about the 3D development here: How to make 3D items, how to add certan things, how to make animations, etc.
Other 3D developers will answer you.
Check the 3D trackers and FAQ before asking your question.

----------------------

Question: When we'll have the 3D Era up and running?
Answer: [http://fo2238.fodev.net/wiki/Soon] Soon[/url]

Question: Will there be such features like muzzle flash, rockets, laser beam introduced?
Answer: Yes.

Question: Will NPC's be changed to 3D as well as the players?

Question: Will sitting, laying, crawling and other animations of that kind will be added?
Answer: This will entirely depend on the will of the one who's using our work to set up a 3d.

Question: Does 3D allows players to have dynamics bases? Such as adding new scenery to it (book shelves, cases etc)
Answer: No it doesn't. The engine itself currently doesn't allow such feature as dynamic maps. So 3D have nothing to do with it.

Question: Is the inventory icon will be 3D?
Answer: No, 3D is needed to make items visible in player hands and on the ground. Inventory icons will stay the same as usually.

Question: Can a full screen, post-processing filter be used (bloom, ink, blur)?

Question: Is texture compression used? What kind?
Answer: Most likely TGA file format would be used, because it have a lot of pros and almost none cons.

Question: Is it possible get 3D Karpov models with all clothes into SDK?
Answer: Yes, you can download it here.

Question: What is SDK?
Answer: Software Development Kit. It is a tool, which basically gives you everything needed to make your own server and game

Question: Will there be some kind of effect, which could pixelate the 3D models in-game, to make them look more like 2D sprite?
Answer: Probably. DirectX or shaders could be used for it, but it isn't implemented yet.

Question: Does the engine support 3D environments? To make the game completely like Van Burren
Answer: Yes, the engine does support this.

Question: Is all the game gonna go 3d or just part of it? Is 360 degree camera rotation will be added?
Answer: No it isn't. Only critters, nothing more.

Question: Why 3D is needed? A good-ol 2D looks somehow better and I'm used to it.
Answer: Because 3D is much easier to customize. Adding helmets, new clothes, having more variations in color (such as being able to play as a black skinned character) playing as a ghoul, super mutant, etc.

Question: Can I help with the 3D development?
Answer: Every help is appreciated, no matter your skills. If you want to help, please post a message about it or send a PM to anyone of the 3D developers.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2013, 06:15:34 am by Graf »

Re: Questions and Answers 3D (read the first post before asking a question)
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2011, 08:10:41 pm »
is the hair stile made from a separate mesh, or you must make it with the head too?
Separate mesh. But as for now - someone said that we might use Van Buren hairstyles after making them compatible(positioning and stuff)
Not my kind of stuff so lets just wait with doing anything new in this matter.

@down: Good idea. So much people asking about things lately.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 08:16:10 pm by SmartCheetah »
Don't call me your brother
'cause I ain't your fucking brother.
We fell from different cunts,
and your skins an ugly color!

Offline LagMaster

• No. 1 Topic Starter
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2011, 08:15:01 pm »
thank you...hmm, i think i will make this topic a 3D version of questions and answers

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2011, 04:11:35 pm »
Anyone know or find a file that can import and / or export format .G3D on Blender?

Sorry if I speak bad English, I'm French.

Offline Cryptopsy

• Smoke Break Until Wipe
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2011, 03:13:14 pm »
Engine, we need to do stuff with the engine not the models.

So, inside the engine, seeing as that's where you're saying the muzzle flash would be, does that mean that's where the  alterations to things like missile flight and the laser beams would be?

Offline Haraldx

• This forum... The memories... The history...
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2011, 03:26:37 pm »
I suppose so. The flame from rocket - particle effects. Blood - particle effects. Muzzle flash - particle effects. Atleast I'm pretty sure Lexx said so.

EDIT: I just found this to be wrong...

« Last Edit: February 18, 2011, 03:50:21 pm by Haraldx »
I still can be reached over e-mail if you somehow need anything from me. Don't see a reason why you would, but if you do, e-mail remains the safest bet, as I do not visit this forum reliably anymore.

Offline Cryptopsy

• Smoke Break Until Wipe
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2011, 04:28:26 pm »
Okay. so is anyone going to correct the rocket's flight? it always seemed a little glitchy to me.

Seeing as we have all new 3d weapons to use, why not have new animations to go with the ammunition?
« Last Edit: May 15, 2011, 12:20:25 pm by Graf »

Offline Haraldx

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2011, 05:08:09 pm »
Animations for amunition? How the hell you mean that? And no - ammo and other stuff won't be 3D. There is no need for it.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2011, 12:20:41 pm by Graf »
I still can be reached over e-mail if you somehow need anything from me. Don't see a reason why you would, but if you do, e-mail remains the safest bet, as I do not visit this forum reliably anymore.

Offline Cryptopsy

• Smoke Break Until Wipe
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2011, 05:22:53 pm »
Like muzzle flash, man. Jesus.

New question: When are they looking at having the 3D Era up and running?
« Last Edit: May 15, 2011, 12:21:10 pm by Graf »

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2011, 05:57:23 pm »
Never ever ask "When". The only correct answer is "When it's done and ready".
I'm not gonna post that "soon" thing, 'couse it might not be "soon" :P
Don't call me your brother
'cause I ain't your fucking brother.
We fell from different cunts,
and your skins an ugly color!

Offline Haraldx

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2011, 06:10:48 pm »
Like muzzle flash, man. Jesus.
1. Low priority
2. Almost no use
3. Muzzle flashes will be quite small detail (unless someone is actually going to make it huge) and therefore, different muzzle flash isn't necessary.

Offline Cryptopsy

• Smoke Break Until Wipe
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2011, 06:11:28 pm »
Doesn't it look funny to anyone else when a 3D model is standing near a 2D NPC? Especially with the Texture differences, the overall dimensions, the lack of shadowing for the 3D model...

In my honest opinion, the 3D models kind of seem like overkill by comparison to NPCs. What will they look like if all the critters are also left in 2D?

1. Low priority
2. Almost no use
3. Muzzle flashes will be quite small detail (unless someone is actually going to make it huge) and therefore, different muzzle flash isn't necessary.

If you would read back, I was referring to the rockets and laser beams, etc. Things like that. They would look pretty dumb having a 2d rocket with pixelated flame coming out of a 3D rocket launcher with a 3D character doing the shooting, now wouldnt it?
« Last Edit: May 15, 2011, 12:21:52 pm by Graf »

Offline Haraldx

« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2011, 06:15:48 pm »
Doesn't it look funny to anyone else when a 3D model is standing near a 2D NPC? Especially with the Texture differences, the overall dimensions, the lack of shadowing for the 3D model...

In my honest opinion, the 3D models kind of seem like overkill by comparison to NPCs. What will they look like if all the critters are also left in 2D?

That's an old screen. ALL human models will be 3D. That screen uses Van Burens' models. The models have shadows - notice that the 3D guy has a table near him which makes the shadow invisible. Your post is invalid and contains problems that are being solved already (missing textures etc.)
If you would read back, I was referring to the rockets and laser beams, etc. Things like that. They would look pretty dumb having a 2d rocket with pixelated flame coming out of a 3D rocket launcher with a 3D character doing the shooting, now wouldnt it?
Oh... umm... I don't know, ask Lexx  ;D
« Last Edit: May 15, 2011, 12:23:00 pm by Graf »

Offline Cryptopsy

• Smoke Break Until Wipe
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2011, 06:21:43 pm »
Your post is invalid and contains problems

Sorry, dad. Jesus Christ.

Anyways, I havent seen anywhere where anyone has made a 3D model of any citizens. I havent seen any doctors or townspeople or anything like that; kids... etc.

Also, what about critters?

Offline Haraldx

« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2011, 06:23:39 pm »
I have a better idea. Use the FAQ topic, this one is getting too much cluttered.