FOnline Development > 3D Development

Critters and stuff related to them

<< < (2/20) > >>

Eternauta:

--- Quote from: Haraldx on February 16, 2011, 06:58:08 pm ---Yeah, I think it would look quite awkward and there would be some questions from newbies popping up like "Why isn't the brahmin as cool as other critters? Why it's a picture instead of 3D shit" etc. etc.

--- End quote ---

The right answer would be: "original 2d sprites worked perfectly, did not need customisation, and were the original Fallout graphics. New critters/Van Buren critters needed to be made in 3d because of the amount of work that sprites would require. Player Characters use 3d models not because '3d is cool', but because of character customisation".

In fact, that's my point, man:

--- Quote ---"Why isn't the brahmin as cool as other critters?..."
--- End quote ---

I've read more than once that 3d models were about customisation, and not about "looking awsum". I think we are starting to forget what the real point of making 3d models was.

Haraldx:
Hm... wait a second here, I'm gonna find something that Lexx wrote.

--- Quote from: Lexx on February 08, 2011, 02:27:23 pm ---If the art style doesn't fit, we don't include it. Was always like this, will always be like this.

--- End quote ---

That means, if FOnline: 2238 is going 2.5D, then critters that will still be 2D won't fit the art style. Also, since Deathclaw and other Van Buren models have already been implented, it means everything is going to be 3D (except the world map)

Eternauta:

--- Quote ---If the art style doesn't fit, we don't include it. Was always like this, will always be like this.
--- End quote ---

2d sprites fit perfectly, in fact they were created that way :)

--- Quote ---if FOnline: 2238 is going 2.5D, then critters that will still be 2D won't fit the art style.
--- End quote ---

??? I see a lot of 2d stuff everytime I play and all of it fits perfectly.

--- Quote ---Also, since Deathclaw and other Van Buren models have already been implented, it means everything is going to be 3D
--- End quote ---

Well, so if a certain ammo caliber is nerfed, then all ammo type is nerfed? if a certain weapon is buffed, all weapons are buffed? I don't understand the way you get to that conclusion.

EDIT:

Lexx's words: "We are adding 3d models for characters with lots of customization possibilities, because the community want's to have their characters not look like clones. And the only real way to archive that is via 3d models. Except if you want to draw thousands of images, wich I guess you don't want to do."

http://fodev.net/forum/index.php?topic=2512.msg22141#msg22141

TheGreenHand:

--- Quote from: Eternauta on February 16, 2011, 07:31:17 pm ---...

--- End quote ---

+1.  I'm on board with this, I think the few 3D critters we have are good.  But we don't need all 3D critters.  It'd be fine if harold's radscorpion (fixed up somewhat) is implemented somewhere down the line, in addition to current ones.  But I would say right now 3D is 95% about player characters.

Eternauta:

--- Quote from: TheGreenHand on February 16, 2011, 07:55:32 pm ---But I would say right now 3D is 95% about player characters.

--- End quote ---

Exactly, Player Characters and new critters.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version