Author Topic: Critters and stuff related to them  (Read 31811 times)

Offline Haraldx

• This forum... The memories... The history...
Re: Critters and stuff related to them
« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2011, 06:22:43 pm »
Depends on what are critters. Critters can also be called stuff like Mobster and that kind of stuff, which require a new model/texture, but are basically the same humans.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2011, 07:52:04 am by Graf »
I still can be reached over e-mail if you somehow need anything from me. Don't see a reason why you would, but if you do, e-mail remains the safest bet, as I do not visit this forum reliably anymore.

Offline Cryptopsy

• Smoke Break Until Wipe
« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2011, 06:27:56 pm »
Well, I mean like radscorpions, molerats, dogs, deathclaws, floaters, etc
« Last Edit: May 23, 2011, 07:52:11 am by Graf »

Offline Eternauta

• Beyond repair.
    • Crazy 88 Official Forum
« Reply #32 on: February 18, 2011, 06:31:58 pm »
Well, NPC humans/ghouls/supermutants, imho, should not go 3d, except those who give you quests. All other critters (rats, mantis, plants, etc) should keep their original sprites.

Offline Haraldx

« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2011, 06:33:41 pm »
Well, NPC humans/ghouls/supermutants, imho, should not go 3d, except those who give you quests.
I think it would look even more weird and will lead in misunderstandings - is it a ghoul, or it isn't a ghoul...
I still can be reached over e-mail if you somehow need anything from me. Don't see a reason why you would, but if you do, e-mail remains the safest bet, as I do not visit this forum reliably anymore.

Offline Cryptopsy

• Smoke Break Until Wipe
« Reply #34 on: February 18, 2011, 06:40:31 pm »
What about when your mouse hovers over and it says "You see a ghoul."

By process of elimination, you figure out that this is what ghouls look like. hahahaha
« Last Edit: May 23, 2011, 07:52:28 am by Graf »

Offline Haraldx

« Reply #35 on: February 18, 2011, 06:43:50 pm »
Well, no matter what, it has to be one of the following:
 * 3D weapons, people, critters whatever. 2D World
OR
 * Everything 2D

Offline Cryptopsy

• Smoke Break Until Wipe
« Reply #36 on: February 18, 2011, 06:52:48 pm »
I agree... 3D weapons, people, critters, cars, etc
« Last Edit: May 23, 2011, 07:52:41 am by Graf »

Offline Haraldx

« Reply #37 on: February 18, 2011, 07:06:44 pm »
You must understand that this includes ALL weapons, ALL critters. No exceptions.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2011, 07:52:51 am by Graf »

Offline Cryptopsy

• Smoke Break Until Wipe
« Reply #38 on: February 18, 2011, 07:09:19 pm »
Ofcourse. Duh
« Last Edit: May 23, 2011, 07:53:00 am by Graf »

Offline Luther Blissett

« Reply #39 on: February 18, 2011, 07:16:14 pm »
I was under the impression that (a bit of tweaking aside) we were initially aiming for 3D and 2D seamlessly mixed together, with extra 3D conversions done at a later date. At standard zoom, the 3D and 2D characters should be able to stand side-by-side, with neither out of place - hence trying on the whole to make the models as close as possible to accurate as we could. It would be only on overzoom that you'd be able to suddenly see that one "magically" had more pixels than the other. If you look at some of Karpov's recent test videos, it looks pretty close already.

Offline Cryptopsy

• Smoke Break Until Wipe
« Reply #40 on: February 18, 2011, 07:21:46 pm »
At standard zoom, the 3D and 2D characters should be able to stand side-by-side, with neither out of place - hence trying on the whole to make the models as close as possible to accurate as we could.=

Dont mean to make anyone upset by this. This is just a question. But if what you say is fact, then why are we making 3D models in the first place?

Offline Luther Blissett

« Reply #41 on: February 18, 2011, 07:38:24 pm »
No worries. Good question. I may be wrong, of course - I'm not anything to do with making such decisions, but as far as I could gather, it's primarily for customisation.

When I say neither should look out of place, this doesn't mean "recreate only the original sprites", but to try and replicate the art style very closely whilst allowing players to be black skinned, or blond haired, or wear many types of armour / clothing which are not currently in the game, without having to manually edit 10,000 odd still frames by hand - and to do this so closely that they could stand next to a 2D Brahmin or shopkeeper and it would still look completely normal.

Recently, longhaired man and bald man were added, but these must have been manually adjusted frame by frame, for every action and every type of weapon. Currently, some NPCs can't use some weapons, and the Merchant Party leader will always run with his arms in the air like a scared child etc. If these were all 3D models, these things could be adjusted / fixed by applying new textures or animations to the models - cutting such a change down from weeks and weeks of work into days of work.

As I said, I may be wrong, but that's my interpretation of it.

Offline Karpov

• Come Together
« Reply #42 on: February 18, 2011, 07:40:08 pm »
Dont mean to make anyone upset by this. This is just a question. But if what you say is fact, then why are we making 3D models in the first place?

We do it to have different appearances between characters. Also because it is much easier to add more stuff. And because it is fun.

Offline Cryptopsy

• Smoke Break Until Wipe
« Reply #43 on: February 18, 2011, 07:50:17 pm »

I could've sworn i said beforehand that that wasnt intended to be offensive
« Last Edit: May 23, 2011, 07:53:35 am by Graf »

Offline Haraldx

« Reply #44 on: February 18, 2011, 07:52:06 pm »
@ Luther - That is one of the reason why 3D is going to be implented. Some animations are wrong and if you want to make a new character (this includes also if just want to edit the hair, color or anything else) you will need to make VERY MUCH frames. Think about it. Walking, running, use (item, doors etc.), all minigun animations, all Rocket launcher animations, all other BG/EW animations, all pistol animations, all rifle animations, hurt animations, death animations... but wait! there is even more work to do - now draw all these frames again in proper angle! Fallout has 6 directions, that means all those previously mentioned animations will have to be redrawn 6 times! In 3D everything is as simple as this - make a model, texture it, add it to the game. But wait! Maybe we want a new EW that isn't found in any Fallout game, we just make a model, texture it, add it to the game. In 2D... I can repeat the whole process about making 2D animations...