Author Topic: NEW armors/clothes suggestions  (Read 130562 times)

Offline Surf

• это моё.
Re: NEW armors/clothes suggestions
« Reply #285 on: August 14, 2011, 04:42:46 pm »
Well, it takes what? 10 seconds to put the stuff you want in the inventory slots... I don't think this is really an issue, but as said, it's your decision to limit it.

On another note, has anyone ever thought of some "old people" skin or body?  For males, the "loser" one can be used, but for females it get's tricky I think...I could even imagine some "old fat hag", heh. ;)

Offline Luther Blissett

« Reply #286 on: August 14, 2011, 04:54:03 pm »
Maybe combined with ghoul animations, so they shuffle along slowly :)

Offline Surf

• это моё.
« Reply #287 on: August 14, 2011, 05:03:57 pm »
Hehe yeah, exactly, I was thinking of this old hag sprite Torment had (the one in bottom right):

Doesn't have to look exactly the same, but it's just some inspiration. :) (which I would be able to do such things :( )

Offline Luther Blissett

« Reply #288 on: August 14, 2011, 05:40:34 pm »
Actually, I think it would be fairly straightforward. There is a "fat woman" bodytype model already, and once it's rigged to a skeleton, you could copy and rename it, but instead attach the ghoul or loser animations to it. If the skeletons are close enough in the first place, it would take the shape of one, with the pose and animations of the other. If you look at my "fat man" test (and ignore the rogue arm) - that's using the normal hero animations, and it alters the pose and movement accordingly.

Depending on how different the skeletons are, there'll be some distortion of the model. If you use one of the male animations on the female model, her shoulders grow to fit the equivalent position on the male model, which looks quite funny.

If they're relatively similar, the distortion would be less severe (possibly not even noticeable).

Anyway, I think it's possible and has some definite NPC usage. For player purposes, I'm pretty sure "Fat old Grandmother with Combat Shawl and Plasma Knitting Needle" would quickly become the #1 trolling costume :D

Offline jonny rust

• Caravan Dan
« Reply #289 on: August 16, 2011, 02:52:33 pm »
On another note, has anyone ever thought of some "old people" skin or body?  For males, the "loser" one can be used, but for females it get's tricky I think...I could even imagine some "old fat hag", heh. ;)

I'm not sure how other games do this, perhaps with a second 'old skin' shading texture overlaying the original with a varying opacity depending on how old you make the char?

Offline barter1113

• New Vegas fanatic =)
« Reply #290 on: August 16, 2011, 03:17:39 pm »
New suggestions.

Taken from http://crimeagame.com/index.php

Updated stuff. That would be good about recreating orginal "edited sprites" or making Sulik, Vic, Cassidy, Myron, Lynethe, and many others in 3D. Anyway here is some fantastic stuff and ideas which can be remaking.
http://www.nma-fallout.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=38666&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
http://www.nma-fallout.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=55655&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=80
« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 07:33:41 pm by barter1113 »

Offline jonny rust

• Caravan Dan
« Reply #291 on: August 16, 2011, 09:09:44 pm »
Tribal war-paint (or tattoos). Since we will have a tattoo system, why not?

I plan on doing a few more variations with different colors

Offline Surf

• это моё.
« Reply #292 on: August 16, 2011, 09:28:35 pm »
Looking very good and noticable in 100% zoom level too, good job! Maybe tone the darkness a tiny bit down and make it a bit brighter?

« Reply #293 on: August 16, 2011, 11:55:53 pm »
Wow, great idea. It's totally amazing and way better than my vision of tribal tattoos (my were just uhm...tribal, like you know. Modern "tribal" tattoos)
Maybe we should ignore my "tribals" and make them that way instead? No idea if our system can handle that many skins and those I've made were quite unimpressive(Especially compared to those, or Irezumi ones) so it wouldn't be any loss.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 12:00:09 am by SmartCheetah »
Don't call me your brother
'cause I ain't your fucking brother.
We fell from different cunts,
and your skins an ugly color!

Offline Luther Blissett

« Reply #294 on: August 17, 2011, 01:35:04 am »
From what I've tried and tested, you shouldn't worry about a limit on the number of skins. I've been chucking loads of variations in to test stuff. I'm not sure if there's an upper limit somewhere, but I don't see anything that suggests you couldn't have tens if not hundreds.

My only thought on having loads of them, is whether it would start to slow the game down if they were all on the same map at once, or even simply having them loaded into memory would slow things down. I've not so far managed to put any non-player 3D characters in my tests, so I've never had more than one 3D person in game at once.

Also, regarding skins - we might have to tweak a lot of them once the shaders are a bit nearer completion. If we've got a more fallout-like light and shadow on each model, we will probably have to adjust the colour, painted highlights and overall brightness of a lot of them.

If you look at this image :

Basically, we're aiming for that 3D guy to look identical to the other guys around him. Obviously we could adjust the colour and painted highlights now, but once the shaders are in, we'd probably have to do it again.

Offline jonny rust

• Caravan Dan
« Reply #295 on: August 17, 2011, 02:09:13 am »
Thanks guys,

since you liked them here is a head hunter warpaint idea :)

to the Luther; These can easily be tweaked if and when they need to be as the skin bases are all on separate layers etc. Unless the UV's change it will be no problem. In fact they would look better with more contrast in the skin textures.

As for skin counts... if we are going to have tattoos then it would be nice to have at least a little variety since a lot of people will probably get them and we will all look very similar if there are only 2 to choose from :/

Perhaps these can be obtained by a quest or a rare tribal npc encounter so that they are more rare?

Anyway, Hopefully it works out!

« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 03:53:45 am by jonny rust »

Offline Luther Blissett

« Reply #296 on: August 17, 2011, 02:41:55 am »
Very good point, Johnny - if everyone keeps their source PSD/XCF files layered, then this can all be pretty straightforward to adjust later. Also means that with minimal adjustment, you can apply similar patterns to other skin colours. I really like the look of these done so far - and I think some tribal black men with "aboriginal style" white paint on would be a very good addition too.

[edit] Also, if you can find enough info on the slaver tattoo to do one of those, that'd be definitely worth doing. Bear in mind we want it visible at normal zoom, so you might have to exaggerate the size a bit.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 02:46:14 am by Luther Blissett »

Offline jonny rust

• Caravan Dan
« Reply #297 on: August 17, 2011, 03:12:59 am »
Very good point, Johnny - if everyone keeps their source PSD/XCF files layered, then this can all be pretty straightforward to adjust later. Also means that with minimal adjustment, you can apply similar patterns to other skin colours. I really like the look of these done so far - and I think some tribal black men with "aboriginal style" white paint on would be a very good addition too.

[edit] Also, if you can find enough info on the slaver tattoo to do one of those, that'd be definitely worth doing. Bear in mind we want it visible at normal zoom, so you might have to exaggerate the size a bit.

Yep, People should be layering for clothing/armor too since, I assume, every piece of clothing that shows skin will need to come with a different texture for every skin/tattoo permutation!

I was going for an aboriginal look in that first war-paint post (the middle guy) but let me know if there are ways you think it could improve.

edit: I tweaked the headhunter towards that look, see above

Also I have a few ideas for the slaver tat, but i'll need to sacrifice some detail for visibility at a range. Still, I like the idea of having a bit of eye candy at closer distances for the character sheet view e.g. the headhunter face paint
« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 03:55:08 am by jonny rust »

Offline Lexx

• Rotator
  • Mexican Apple Thief
« Reply #298 on: August 17, 2011, 09:33:25 am »
Since we will have a tattoo system, why not?

We do not have a tattoo system. It's just a different skin texture that can be chosen on character creation.

Offline jonny rust

• Caravan Dan
« Reply #299 on: August 17, 2011, 02:37:02 pm »
We do not have a tattoo system. It's just a different skin texture that can be chosen on character creation.

So then I guess there is no point in making a slaver tattoo...