"Wasteland is harsh"
Home Forum Help Login Register
  • May 21, 2024, 02:33:41 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Play WikiBoy BugTracker Developer's blog
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: What can change the nature of a man?  (Read 17897 times)

Sius

• Sheep EX machina!
Re: What can change the nature of a man?
« Reply #30 on: March 05, 2011, 09:53:11 am »

A game with Fallouts combat gameplay and Torments Dialoges/Setting/Whole writing would be kickass.

Nah. Planescape is one of a kind. And I must say I love the fights, especially when I roll as a badass mage with all those superb spell animations.

There is not a word invented yet, that would be capable of describing this game. But when such word will exist it will most certainly consist of "Epic" and "Unique".

Surf

• это моё.
« Reply #31 on: March 05, 2011, 02:19:09 pm »

This is true. Many bitch about boring gameplay of PS:T, but I don't get whats so bad about it, especially with the mage as you said. It's fun.

Solar

• Rotator
« Reply #32 on: March 05, 2011, 03:37:59 pm »

Nah. Planescape is one of a kind. And I must say I love the fights, especially when I roll as a badass mage with all those superb spell animations.

There is not a word invented yet, that would be capable of describing this game. But when such word will exist it will most certainly consist of "Epic" and "Unique".

Epique?
Quote from: Woodrow Wilson
If you want to make enemies, try to change something.

Crazy

• Drugged Childkiller
« Reply #33 on: March 05, 2011, 03:51:14 pm »

Epique?

No, it's just the french word for "epic"  :P
When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk

Member of the Most Hated Faction
TTTLA, for Great Justice !

Solar

• Rotator
« Reply #34 on: March 05, 2011, 03:52:03 pm »

Unic?  ;)
Quote from: Woodrow Wilson
If you want to make enemies, try to change something.

Eternauta

• Beyond repair.
    • Crazy 88 Official Forum
« Reply #35 on: September 26, 2011, 07:24:53 pm »

What can change the nature of a man?

An old school marxist would probably answer: changing/getting/losing a job, or start owning/losing some mean of production, would change the nature of a man.

Someone with a lot of influence from Pierre Bourdieu would probably answer: a man's habitus (which is his nature) would change if his position in one or more fields he is participating in changes.

Reiniat

• Humanhunter
« Reply #36 on: September 26, 2011, 10:24:09 pm »

Ron Perlman would say:
Man, man never changes
Current char: Oblivion, Oceansoul, Black Tears

Sorry for my bad english
Quote from: Santa Anna
Any action or inaction in a position of power will always grant you enemies

Evan

• The dead are never aplenty enough.
« Reply #37 on: September 27, 2011, 11:29:48 am »

Experience. Most Planescape answers sounds synonyms of that for me. Thou in my experience one's ability to receive it disappears with time, exponentially faster with age. That's why I can never call one 'young' as a negative.

Grommok

• Desert Ranger
« Reply #38 on: September 29, 2011, 01:12:56 am »

Death. Pain. Suffer of any kind. Seeing others suffer. Pain, pain never changes... but changes your point of view about everything. You wont see anything in the same way after a good dose of pain. Pain reduces your mental sanity, slowly drowing you into a pitch of madness... or pain can save you from a such thing, bringing you back to reality. You can see it the way you want, but everything that changes your point of view can be reduced to pain. Hate, love, hunger, suffer, losses. Everything can be reduced to pain.
An old school marxist would probably answer: changing/getting/losing a job, or start owning/losing some mean of production, would change the nature of a man.
I agree. That's a kind of pain, dont you think? Loosing your job, getting a job, or changing your job, bring all somehow to suffer, dont you think?
Quote from: Grommok
Chi si ritira dalla lotta
E' un gran figlio di mignotta!

jonny rust

• Caravan Dan
« Reply #39 on: September 29, 2011, 01:48:45 am »

It seems like everything on that list is a piece of the nature of man as I'm pretty sure we have all experienced each of those emotions and will all experience death.

It seems like a loaded question so my answer would be... brain damage.

Grommok

• Desert Ranger
« Reply #40 on: September 29, 2011, 04:18:28 pm »

Brain damage is a sort of pain.
I'll take to you an example from the world of music- Savatage' Streets - A Rock Opera, the story of D T Jesus, a drug dealer who becomes a rockstar, and then starts taking his own drugs, leading him to quit the world of music and get back to the streets. That is an immense pain, taking drugs, a blind pain that makes us unconscious of what we do, and blind to other kinds of pain, and the withdrawal, a terrible, terrible pain that can be erased only the blinding pain of drugs. Another change in D T life is when his best friend and manager, Tex, tryes to take him back, away from the pain of drugs. But that pain calls, and Sammy, drug lord, answers. He goes to D T house, claiming money from a debt of his drug consuming days. Sammy kills Tex when he tries to defend D T, and this leaves him in a total, worser pain, the worse he ever felt, because is from him, because is because he exists, that all that pain comes from. I will just quote one line of a song, St. Patrick's, where D T, in his madness, keeps himself wandering in the streets, and ends up in Saint Patrick's Cathedral.
Quote from: Savatage
'Cause you take all the fame
But who'll accept the blame
For all the hurt
Down here on earth
Unnecessary pain
Surely you must care
Or are you only air
Built in our minds
When we're in binds
Never really there
He recieves no answer. I leave to you answer this question, for yourself.

jonny rust

• Caravan Dan
« Reply #41 on: September 29, 2011, 06:44:51 pm »

Still I feel like all of these things are within the nature of man and not a detour.

Our brains have been built via thousands of years of evolution and reflect each stage right down to the reptilian complex at it's base. Emotions and perceptions like greed and pain reflect chemical reactions relayed to our brain which then handles them accordingly.

Of course our brains all handle things slightly differently, some of us may even be pre-disposed to growing into psychopaths. The hallmark of a psychopath is a callous lack of guilt and morals. Surely this small minority is wired to perceive the world differently than the majority and so would that be considered an alteration in the nature of man in general? Another thing to keep in mind is that a psychopath has trouble functioning within society making him a candidate for extinction in a lineal sense.

On the other side of the page someone who has behaved consistently their whole life may have a stroke, altering there behavior completely for the rest of their lives. Sure the stroke may have hurt when it happened but its not the memory of that pain that has changed the person so drastically, its the damage to the facilities they once used but no longer have access to and they may no longer be able to feel emotions as the rest of us do.

Of course things like pain, greed, knowledge etc. may all change the way we behave from day to day, but those are all things that the mass majority of us seem to be able to feel, adopt and adapt to, and, at the end of the day as a species if we cannot adapt to something and be altered by it effectively then Darwin's ghost will take us. Perhaps if the nature of man cannot be flexible and adapt to multiple stimuli (and not just one) then we are not nearly as evolved as we may think.   

Grommok

• Desert Ranger
« Reply #42 on: September 29, 2011, 07:23:58 pm »

You know that traumas tend to be easier to remember that anything else? This might seem totally off-topic, but it's not.
Pain is a trauma, if enough strong (of course i never talked of the pain like when a rock falls on your feet, but a much greater, both mental and physical). This means that pain, or to be more precise, the memory of a pain, a particular pain (mostly mental, even if physical one isnt escluded) can remain in your mind so brightly that you cannot behave in the same way.
On the other hand, the brain (or our mind, to be more precise. The brain is just the physical shell of our mind, our physical shield) might, especially in a young stage of growth, erase, no, block a memory, until someday, for a strange twist of fate or for a particular event to happen, this memory is called back, brutally, most of the time bringing to an altered vision of events for some time, in the worst of the cases resulting in insanity.
Some times the brain/mind tries to block them, but cannot totally do it, leading you to think something in a way or another, for a trauma that you cannot recall, but that is.
In conclusion, i still think that Pain, or better, after reflecting about it for a small time, Traumas are the only thing that can change the nature not only of a man, but of any living being.

Nexxos

• o_O
  • O_o
« Reply #43 on: November 03, 2011, 11:58:18 pm »

What can change the nature of a man? Better question would be: "What can *not* change the nature of a man?", since minds are mostly individual, and interpretet things differently.

The question: "What can change the nature of a man" itself is a bit strange also, since it really doesn't ask about "what will... etc", but more like different doors for different people.

There is no right or wrong answer to the actual question, as it was pointed out earlier. The thing that makes it so... unique is the force and confusion which you are put under when asked, possibly making it "harder" to answer.

But the answer to the big question is quite simple. What can change the nature of a man? Everything can change it, or possibly nothing can.
“And we passed through the cavern of rats.

And we passed through the path of streaming flamethrowers.

And we passed through the faction of the blind.

And we passed through the slough of swarm.

And we passed through the vale of tears.

And we came, finally, to the ice caverns.

falloutdude

• just some canadian guy
« Reply #44 on: November 04, 2011, 01:05:44 am »

the murder/death of the women he loves can change the nature of a man big time. without the women he loves he is a empty shell with no feelings he will do anything without a thought.
Roaming the waste again.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Page created in 0.099 seconds with 21 queries.