"Wasteland is harsh"
Home Forum Help Login Register
  • July 05, 2024, 03:04:16 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Play WikiBoy BugTracker Developer's blog
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Pip boy 2000 - a post-apocalyptic cellhpone!  (Read 2080 times)

Haraldx

• This forum... The memories... The history...
Pip boy 2000 - a post-apocalyptic cellhpone!
« on: December 28, 2010, 04:36:55 pm »

My idea is to make pip boy a multifunctional cellphone! You can get upgrades for your pip boy to ensure better communication and other stuff. You can craft or buy different pip boy accessories if you have the right stats and materials. It requires 40% repair to put in/take out a part for the pip boy.

Upgrades- you must craft or buy these stuff.
Bluerad
A copy of Bluetooth, used to send files between pip boy 2000 cellphones. When it is active, battery is used up faster.

Camera add-on
A camera... Allows you to take pictures and browse them in your pip-boy! The pictures took with the camera add-on can be sent to other wastelanders using Bluerad. 1 photo takes 3 slots on your memory unit. Using the camera you lose 30 energy per 1 photo.

Text editor
Allows you to edit Holodisks and write your own text and save them on your memory unit. A text document can have a maximum of 200 characters. A text document with 1-100 characters takes 1 slot of your memory unit, but a text document with 101-200 characters takes 2 slots of your memory unit.

Bonus memory unit
Adds 30-50 memory slots. There can only be a total of 2 bonus memory units.

Upgraded battery
Adds 1000 more energy to your pip boy. Acts the same like the stock one.

Upgraded sun charger (Works only at day)
Charges your pip boy faster than the stock version.

Microphone and dialer
Allows you to call to other pip boy 2000's. Eats up your battery faster when talking with someone.

Stock equipment - every pip boy 2000 comes with this.
Flashlight (Works only at evening and night)
Increases the hit % to anything and anyone in the area of flashlight + makes the players light radius bigger. When active, it takes 5 energy every 3 seconds.

Pip boy 2000 serial code
Serial code of your pip boy. Other people need your serial code to send messages to you.

Stock baterry
A simple battery. Holds up to 500 energy. Can be recharged using any sun charger or by using small energy cells for emergencies. If battery goes into a negative - the battery must be recharged using small energy cells. You can also turn off your pip boy, but then you can't even look at your Cooldowns.

Stock sun charger (Works only at day)
Slow, but charges to the max in half hour (game time) if nothing is active.

Message coordinator
Allows you to send short messages (50 characters) to other pip boys. The player can also be offline and he will receive your message when he logs in, even if you aren't. Each message eats energy based on this formula, 50 + (How many characters you wrote) = X.
I still can be reached over e-mail if you somehow need anything from me. Don't see a reason why you would, but if you do, e-mail remains the safest bet, as I do not visit this forum reliably anymore.
Re: Pip boy 2000 - a post-apocalyptic cellhpone!
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2010, 04:46:06 pm »

hell no, this aint somekind of scifi simulator!

Graf

• "Next Day" developer
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2010, 05:01:01 pm »

Hah, nice idea. If someone will ever make it (and put it on public access), I would be grateful.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2010, 05:03:34 pm by Graf »

runboy93

• 'Insanity'
    • MyAnimelist Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2010, 06:28:29 pm »

I just think about message system with other players/friends.
Radio will do same thing, but sometimes you just dont have radio with you :D

So for example:

Information
------------------------------------------------------------------
sender: default (who send. you)
receiver: empty (who receive you message)
ID: random number (don't know is this needed)
...There you can write anything...
[Send message]

Haraldx

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2010, 07:06:19 pm »

Whoops, I forgot about the contact book (friend list), but hey! That looks awesome! If we can get some stuff... well nevermind, let me just show you.
Information
sender: Harald
receiver: Lexx [Search in contact book]
ID: 133713371337 (ID is pip boys serial code(first post))
Whassup, Lexx? How's the development of FOnline?
[Send]

Oh, and btw. Radio would still be better than using the pip boy, some reasons:
1. Radio doesn't have battery, while talking on pip boy, you can end up without battery at the middle of a talk.
2. Radio allows you to talk with multiple people at the same time.
3. Radio is much easier to find than to craft the microphone add-on for pip boy.
4. The other guy who you are talking to must have a microphone add-on for his pip boy too, and he can run out of battery too.
I still can be reached over e-mail if you somehow need anything from me. Don't see a reason why you would, but if you do, e-mail remains the safest bet, as I do not visit this forum reliably anymore.
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2010, 01:42:30 am »

People will run to get some energy for batteries ?
Creating some recharging stations in cities must be.
It should be for free if you have bad reputation you must pay caps to use it or it won't give you energy

Gunduz

• [MDK]skankin
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2010, 03:24:06 am »

I'm still not sure how I feel about this, but let's assume I agree.

Pipboy itself should not have batteries. Extras, possibly.

Bluerad and camera I see no future for. Even if saving the pictures is just using clientside hdd space, sending them would (afaik) use server resources that would only contribute to lag. Plus, you can save screenshots and just email/skype/irc them to people.

I don't feel like the text editor should be extra. It's hard enough to communicate without using external tools, and this would only increase that.

Bonus memory unit could be replaced with storage space. This could hold small things only (keys, holodisks, etc.) and would stay upon death. The main purpose is to a) make owning a vehicle/locked container less of a nightmare and b) allow small quest items to be given and not lost.

Upgraded batter/sun charger, sure, if we decide the power thing is good.

Microphone and dialer seems unnecessary, especially if message coordinator is implemented. Radio upgrade is also a possibility here.

Geiger counter and motion sensor could also be turned into upgrades.

I actually like the flashlight, as long as the %tohit bonus applies to your attackers if you have it on. And as long as it works better than the flashlight in F3/NV.

I think each should be an upgrade, and pipboy should allow 3 or 4 upgrades.

All of this, I'm pretty sure, would require engine changes. But it's cool to think about some of these.

Eternauta

• Beyond repair.
    • Crazy 88 Official Forum
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2010, 04:36:06 am »

I don't think this will ever be implemented... Or at least I hope this never gets to the game.

The Pip-boy was thought as a personal device, not an object for communication. The simple fact that they added a radio in Fallout 3 made go mad.

I think you can actually find certain terminals with e-mails in the original game (I am not entirely sure), but radio and television were still the most important mass media in (at least USA) pre-war society of the Fallout world. A device like the one you suggest belong to a different kind of society, this is, a society in which TV/Radio have already lost their former importance, and new communication technology has been developed.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2010, 04:41:09 am by Eternauta »
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2010, 08:51:42 am »

As if the worlds need more social networking.

Noway man :/

Graf

• "Next Day" developer
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2010, 09:06:33 am »

I would like to see a music player upgrade for that thing  :) Just like it was in GTA3-4 series (put some mp3 files in a specified folder and change tracks during the  game).

Eternauta

• Beyond repair.
    • Crazy 88 Official Forum
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2010, 09:19:08 am »

I would like to see a music player upgrade for that thing  :) Just like it was in GTA3-4 series (put some mp3 files in a specified folder and change tracks during the  game).

Simply delete the music files and listen to your own music. I always listen to the Van Buren soundtrack while playing this game :D

Graf

• "Next Day" developer
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2010, 09:30:28 am »

Simply delete the music files and listen to your own music. I always listen to the Van Buren soundtrack while playing this game :D
Yea, I know that there is WinAMP and other shit... but idea is to have a music player in-game.
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2010, 09:49:37 am »

Yea, I know that there is WinAMP and other shit... but idea is to have a music player in-game.

and the point of it if there is a WinAMP?  :D

Haraldx

« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2010, 10:53:25 am »

People will run to get some energy for batteries ?
Creating some recharging stations in cities must be.
It should be for free if you have bad reputation you must pay caps to use it or it won't give you energy

Every pip boy comes with stock sun charger, which charges up the pip boy using sunlight. True, sometimes you will find yourself in night needing to recharge, so you can use Small energy cells. A stock battery is 500 energy points, lets say using 1 small energy cell you recharge 75 energy points.

Oh, and guys, don't mess with Fallout 3 - in fallout 3 you get pip boy 3000 while in Fallout 2 you have pip boy 2000. In Fallout 3 you have an absolutely new model of pip boy. The things I'm suggesting is add-ons for the pip boy, which you must craft/buy and put them in your pip boy yourself!

LagMaster

• No. 1 Topic Starter
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2010, 11:09:23 am »

So for example:

Information
sender: default (who send. you)
receiver: empty (who receive you message)
ID: random number (don't know is this needed)
...There you can write anything...
[Send message]

i think to prevent spaming you will have to put the name of the reciver AND the number
this way you will need to know the name AND the number
and this ideea shoud afect NC aswell, like in this sugestion

i give it a + to this ideea
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.277 seconds with 22 queries.