"Wasteland is harsh"
Home Forum Help Login Register
  • July 07, 2024, 09:47:01 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Play WikiBoy BugTracker Developer's blog
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Noob mentroship program  (Read 1116 times)

Noob mentroship program
« on: December 27, 2010, 03:02:08 pm »

I suggest noob mentorship should be more encouraged. Currently only way how to get valid mentoring and knowledge of current game mechanism is joining gang.

Some simple repeatable quest could persuade someone.

- noob1 goes to NPC and says he is looking for mentor.
- skilledPlayer2 goes to same NPC and says the name "noob1" that he want to mentor him.
- noob1 accepts mentor.

- noob1 goes to NPC and says he was taught some new things.
- skilledPlayer2 goes to NPC and recieves reward according to lvl difference of noob1

name of training          | starting level    | ending level    | reward for mentor
welcome to FOnline         | 1         | 6              | 2k caps
you've got much to learn| 6         | 12              | 4k caps

no more because of probable abuse by alts.

I'll try to make some dialogs for this quest. No more maps are required because purpose of this quest is to teach noobs about game mechanics.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2010, 03:05:18 pm by OskaRus »
Kill them all and let the god sort them out.

Surf

• это моё.
Re: Noob mentroship program
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2010, 03:07:20 pm »

You dont need a special mechanism to do that.
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2010, 03:13:16 pm »

Of course you don't. But very few people takes time for this without any reward. My suggestion is about encouraging of that behaviour not about making it possible. And repeatable quest for making money and with player interaction included is too desired afaik.
Kill them all and let the god sort them out.

JovankaB

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2010, 03:16:45 pm »

If you really need a reward you can tell the noob to mine you some HQ ore. It doesn't cost him anything and 4 good metal parts are worth 2100 caps. You can find some other payment methods, it's up to your imagination.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2010, 03:18:55 pm by JovankaB »

Michaelh139

• Goin for 900,000...
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2010, 06:24:49 am »

it's up to your imagination.
No wonder no one likes mentoring.   ::)
Whenever I say something, imagine \"In my opinion"/ being in the front of every sentence.
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2010, 09:07:20 am »

And really we don't need anymore noobs in this game.  Now Newbs those people are fine and I wouldn't mind helping a few out, in fact I have a few times.  Too bad this game teaches you that no matter the hp or supposed level of the bluesuit you're talking to, they're most likely near you to blow you up, shoot you, or steal from you.  In the rare chance they don't do that right away, they're just following you to your base/tent and waiting to loot it dry.
City Encounters:  269
Footlockers:  60
Blueprints:  8
Car Wrecks:  3
Fuel CC:  0
Special Encounters:  0
Data collection start: 1-24-13
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2010, 10:19:51 am »

100% this. I tend to teach some people, but just a very little bit. I only do full-time mentorship to complete new players who are playing with me/joining me.
I give a fuck.

Lordus

• So long and THANKS for all the fish!
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2010, 02:44:10 pm »

I checked our VSB gang web/forum and i was surprised. Our web is cca 1 year old. Before that time, we used forum of madbrahmin.cz, in Czech Rep (and Slovakia) well know fansite about Fallout serie, but now people who wants to know more about Fonline (2238), they are redirecting to our web. So i can tell, that almost all of czech/slovak Fallout players, who want to try Fonline, visit madbrahmin.cz, and majority of them go to our web, then register.

Back to topic. I looked to number of people who registered and post at least one post (= they fill aplication to our gang or they asked for help,..). The number is equal to 230. 230 players registred because they want to try Fonline. And my question is, where are they? Why they dont play anymore. I know that even we gave them acces to our mumble, to our forum, they often play alone and then they disapear.

Now compare it with this statistic http://fodev.net/forum/index.php?topic=11089.0, from Czecho-Slovakia there are cca 13 percent of players. (of course that many of players did not answer in that poll, but same in other gangs... it is best gathered statistic we have anyway).

And now different aproach. One newbie registered, tried fonline and after few hours he left andpost to our forum that this game is too hardcore for him. Yes, it is. It is the way we (who stays here) like it, but for newbies, it is hell.

So i like every changes that could helpo newbies, call it "safe zones" near NCR,.. start up quests or this mechanism, that could replace quest making. I will like to see even start location like vault, where you will try to learn basics, you can do there few levels, learn how to craft, steal... and then you will be kicked to Hell :)
So long and THANKS for all the fish!
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2010, 04:09:55 pm »

And now different aproach. One newbie registered, tried fonline and after few hours he left andpost to our forum that this game is too hardcore for him. Yes, it is. It is the way we (who stays here) like it, but for newbies, it is hell.

So i like every changes that could helpo newbies, call it "safe zones" near NCR,.. start up quests or this mechanism, that could replace quest making. I will like to see even start location like vault, where you will try to learn basics, you can do there few levels, learn how to craft, steal... and then you will be kicked to Hell :)
Noooooooo! Yes, it'll increase online, of couse, but... still useless, there was one good MMORPG.... till some noobs complained about its hardcore, because evil guys who like to kill poor people coming to them and don't allow to XP thier character, because there were no "safe zones", "non-pvp locations", etc. Unfortunately the game itself is P2P, so of couse they had to make these safe zones, etc. to make online more, so they will get more money at cost of interest of gameplay and making game perfect for housewife, where they can kill poor mobs in peace, level thier character and be cool... what for?
Yes, again, you'll see that number after word "players:" in server status increased, but... it doesn't mean it'll make the game better.
I think this game will have more interest when there will be alot faction quests and simple quests, but faction quests will make your way in this game, right now we're just beta testers of the game mechanic and some few quests, the main idea isn't created yet, so the game looks boring itself. But it's only now.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.124 seconds with 26 queries.