"Wasteland is harsh"
Home Forum Help Login Register
  • May 10, 2024, 01:35:07 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Play WikiBoy BugTracker Developer's blog
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Housing !  (Read 11216 times)

Frozen Mind

• Los Alamos Warrior
    • Homepage
Re: Housing !
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2010, 02:55:03 pm »

Two things:
You can build it up alone (demands: resources - wood junk iron ore, skills - science outdoor repair, special points - intelligence endurance strength).
Or pay for that to builders/trappers.

Alvarez

• Forget the past, go outside and have a blast
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2010, 03:05:17 pm »

Sadly, building tents on resource maps is not possible.
I'd chop tons of wood if i were allowed to build a mine.
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2010, 04:04:38 pm »

I think the NPC should give the simple quest (gather XX resources), then when player gives him what he need the NPC will give House Plans. With Plans player go to desert and use it (or use science or outdoorsmen - whatever is required). Then house appears.

Almost like in ultima online houses hehe that is quite simple and good solution Onion  ;D ;D
« Last Edit: January 24, 2010, 04:06:37 pm by naskiel32 »
Well who you think im after now, bitch? Run, mother  f*cka, run...

bikkebakke

• I'll show those FOnliners how RT is supposed to be
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2010, 04:36:08 pm »

I think the NPC should give the simple quest (gather XX resources), then when player gives him what he need the NPC will give House Plans. With Plans player go to desert and use it (or use science or outdoorsmen - whatever is required). Then house appears.

Ye, that would be a good solution.

Just thought, could there be a small privilege to buying a big house, like if you get "Junk Houses" or bigger you get a flint nearby.
If you get "New Reno Style Houses" you get the flint and a gatherable tree.
If you get "Vault City Style Houses" you get the flint, the tree and 2 plants maybe, 1 for fiber and one fruit, or only one of them.

Those privileges aint too much to ask for and i think you deserve them for getting the houses. (and ofcourse it still follows the tent rule, building a new house/tent removes the old one)
Gussiplurr - activehttp://fo2238.fodev.net/status/STATUS

avv

« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2010, 04:46:39 pm »

Having resource supplies next to the players apartments is a bad idea because it reduces player interaction. Makes players hermits who just sit in their base and craft.
Based on evidence collected from various sources by trustworthy attendees it is undisputed veritability that the land ravaged by atomic warfare which caused extreme change of the ecosystem and environmental hazards can be considered unpleasant, rugged and unforgiving.
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2010, 04:50:27 pm »

Or plans could be craftable requiring a diffrent set of skills then gathering req. materials, and thus encouraging P2P trading.

And about the cap cost. You can always pay people for mats and plans. Caps can buy you anything anyway, you don't need npc help for that.

Having "perfectly safe" resources could at least require some skills and items. Like you can use roots or fruit and a water bag to rise fiber or fruit plants near your house. Or destroy a car to have a junk generating trunk. Or use like 10 TNT's on a nearby wall to get ore and 5 more plastic for minerals. Or use a shovel on a nearby pile of earth to dig up some flint. And make a limit on how many can you make. Or make them map based, so a player picks "their" resource by planning where to put the house.
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2010, 05:35:38 pm »

It's a good idea, but instead of buying maybe rent houses from npcs by giving them money, and if you want to stay longer you need to work for it.
Leader of The Gee-willikers
Swedish PK Faction

bikkebakke

« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2010, 05:54:36 pm »

Having resource supplies next to the players apartments is a bad idea because it reduces player interaction. Makes players hermits who just sit in their base and craft.

well thats why i chose the resources that kinda sucks... I personally almost never gather any flint or tree and if I would need to have some I gather it in veeery small proportions... and they are not worth anything really. And fibers and fruit, sure they are worth a little bit but.. those you can get from a base if you have one... so thats no real change and I think 1 fruit plant and 1 fiber plant is a little well deserved donation for 10 alloys and 40k caps.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2010, 06:08:45 pm by bikkebakke »

Nyan

• Teehee.
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2010, 06:25:47 pm »

My Idea:

You'd pay the npc from some city eg. NCR, he'll give you the freehold so you own the piece of land. You can buy a land with a resource but it's more expensive then. Now there are two options: you can build a house in some area around the town like 3 squares radius or the npc creates one in this radius and it automaticly shows on your map.

Now you have a piece of land, you can start building. Go to your location and use some kind of material that will be the starting material. You need certain skills to do this. Then you wait until the cooldown reaches 0 and use another material on the building site which appeared on your location -> cooldown -> another material etc.

When your house is ready, there is some kind of item inside containing a dialog options enabling you to build some furniture and other things, or simply upgrade your house. All this requires some skills and materials. New objects like farm or fenced area have options to plant some seeds or put animals inside etc.

avv

« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2010, 07:09:16 pm »

Why build houses? There must be hundreds of thousands abandoned buildings in post-war america. All they need is new curtains and some paint on the walls.
Based on evidence collected from various sources by trustworthy attendees it is undisputed veritability that the land ravaged by atomic warfare which caused extreme change of the ecosystem and environmental hazards can be considered unpleasant, rugged and unforgiving.
« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2010, 11:05:10 pm »

Problem with this suggestion is that you came up with a nice idea and you've set the pricing. But you don't explain how it should be possible for the player to build this in the gameworld. To whom paying money? Desert? If to a NPC, how to define the place where the house should be. Also, what is the pro and cons of a house and why should it be included- might there be a danger to make bases unattractive, etc. etc.

Sorry been in the job and dont have much time to explain everything. Anyway i will do it now because i think this idea has a potential.

Way of building house should be same as tent but as my friend Onion says there should be small quest from npc's to obtain item like blueprint or plans (something like this is already ingame ) in junktown and madoc for junk style houses, Reno and Hub for Reno style houses and VC for VC style houses. You asking why .. did you seen players tents ? only one full box and tons of stuff on the ground around it so it seems the players needs the bigger storage place with more containers and this is solution its also giving the nice place to live. I think the bases won't be unattractive because bases got resources houses, not its just a storage place big ,nice ,harder to raid or not but still storage place its also a great feature with a great potential of later development . What do you think about it ? Maybe i can help some way with this ?

@edit And maybe in distant future houses can evolve to bases or city .. but for now lets back to the ground .
« Last Edit: January 24, 2010, 11:09:21 pm by Sayak »
« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2010, 12:39:03 am »

The little house that appears on desert squares would make a sweet tent replacement.

bikkebakke

« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2010, 12:39:54 am »

well it would be sweet if you could share your house, like the computer in bases. You type in the name of the one you want to be able to find your house :P enters it, take him to your house and lets him confirm it. Then he will be able to see your house
« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2010, 12:45:30 am »

Awesome idea.
<[VSB]Lordus> I admire polish bravery during the start of WWII when they attacked the tanks divisions with horse cavalry..

<%Mr_Perriack> Events seem to be like throwing spaghetti at a wall and hoping for art.  It's a Picasso sometimes.
« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2010, 01:14:57 am »

well it would be sweet if you could share your house, like the computer in bases. You type in the name of the one you want to be able to find your house :P enters it, take him to your house and lets him confirm it. Then he will be able to see your house

i agree that is quite nice idea too
Well who you think im after now, bitch? Run, mother  f*cka, run...
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Page created in 0.07 seconds with 21 queries.