"Wasteland is harsh"
Home Forum Help Login Register
  • July 07, 2024, 04:07:56 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Play WikiBoy BugTracker Developer's blog
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Big Guns crafter and user help.  (Read 2034 times)

Big Guns crafter and user help.
« on: December 01, 2010, 05:04:51 am »

I've used the search function but couldn't quite find what I was looking for. I want a nice hybrid BG user and Crafter with as little drug use as possible. So far I have
S:7
P:6
E:6
C:1
I:6
A:9
L:6
Tag up: BG, Repair,  first aid or Outdoorsman Traits: Small Frame, Good Natured  Perks: the standard Stonewall, Bonus Ranged damage, BRD, Life Giver, BRoF, and Action Boy (1) and (2). I want to get science to at most 100% so I can make High-Quality Alloys. The Special could use some retweaking. (Maybe A:10, St:6)
Criticism is very welcome.

runboy93

• 'Insanity'
    • MyAnimelist Profile
Re: Big Guns crafter and user help.
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2010, 12:52:07 pm »

AG 8 should be enough so take Small Frame trait off.
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2010, 02:59:20 pm »

But if he uses nuka cola then ag 9 is must. so he can burst 2 times in row.

runboy93

• 'Insanity'
    • MyAnimelist Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2010, 04:57:35 pm »

But if he uses nuka cola then ag 9 is must. so he can burst 2 times in row.
But, if wanted to be Weapontype/Crafter then almost you need to sacriface something.

TheGreenHand

• TGHGWC
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2010, 03:56:00 am »

Without some drug modifier, AG 9 is a waste.  It's gotta be an even number in the end.
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2010, 10:00:27 pm »

S:7
P6
E:5 Same perks as before. Also same traits. final stat count at level 21 would be 190% BG,104% outdoorsman,120% repair, and Science 100%
C:1 5 instead of 6 End is a large drop off in HP but I figure I can make it up with some good armor.
I:6
A:10
L:6

solid snake

• Got a smoke?
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2010, 10:04:50 pm »

5 EN is a waste of a point. EN and AG should always be even. unless as stated before taking cola for the odd AG...

Tom

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2010, 08:45:37 pm »

Adam, I think that's a pretty good build. I have one quite similar to it. Here are some general tips based on my personal experience (I'm sure many will disagree), they might not be new if you played a BG guy before.

Weapons
Flamethrower.
-It takes no profession to craft. This is going to be your first weapon.
-Keep an eye out for green fruit plants. You need them to make fuel.
-Hard to use in RT if you have a high ping, because melee creatures might just teleport right behind you when you try to run in circles.
-Kills pretty much any mutant (except for floaters, centaurs, deathclaws, desert stalkers) in one shot.
-Try to kite mobs so you can shoot many enemies in one shot.
-Somewhat useless against NPCs because of its high action point cost and short range. I could've tried useing the upgraded flamer and fuel, but by that time I had miniguns
Rocket Launcher
-It's best quality is it's knockback. I've escaped quite a few player-killers by knocking them on their asses and running around a corner. It's also good when you're fighting in a group. You can knock enemies to the groudn while your friends gun them down or cripple them with ease.
-Easy to craft. As a low-level I used it to kill groups of mutants who were fighting each other (like molerats vs. mantis) and I leveled up pretty fast.
-It's a bit wasteful to use it exclusively. I usually fired it once to knock down my enemies, and then switched to my minigun.
Minigun
-It's easier to find/buy miniguns and upgrade them to avenger than to craft miniguns. Miniguns with a high deterioration % are generally inexpensive and it won't carry over when you upgrade them to avengers, just make sure they haven't been fixed before too often because that will carry over.
-Ammo is easy to produce.
-Probably the best craftable weapon in the game in terms of raw damage. Once you have an avenger and some good armor, you know you've really "made it".
M60 and Light Support Weapon
-Use them if you loot them, but the minigun is better and its ammo doesn't need high-quality minerals.

Where to play
-I started out near NCR like I always do, so I can talk with other players and because I needed to be close to a public mine if I wanted enough rocks to make lots and lots of explosive rockets. Also, I needed 20 AP rockets to get in the Brotherhood of Steel, and the best way to get them was to trade with players.
-However I eventually got bored and moved up North where there were more dangerous towns to lurk in and more varied random encounters. There were also more geckos there, so I could more easily make tier 1 armor.

Character

SPECIAL
-Start with 7 strength. Some people choose to start with 4 and then get weapon handling at level 12, but that's no fun.
-6 perception is just fine since you don't have a long range and since weapons like the flamer minigun are accurate. 6 is required for Bonus Rate of Fire.
-I gave myself 8 endurance, which worked out well since I took a lot of damage: While I waited for my AP to recharge mutants would usually have the time to run up to me and attack me. Also, enemy NPCs can still deal a lot of damage when they fire bursts or get critical hits. I serisouly recommend getting more than  4/5 EN.
-8 agility (including small frame). It wasn't quite enough to be able to fire twice in one round (but I played in RT anyway), but boosting my AG to 10 would've meant taking 2 points from endurance, which I just wasn't willing to do.
-5 luck. I wasn't into crits, and I didn't take Toughness

SKILLS
-100 science and 120 repair is what you need to craft all 3 tiers of BG, but you won't be very good at repairing items or disassembling them. Oh well.
-Do not bring outdoorsman above 95%. Beyond 95% it will not increase your chance to be able to choose whether or not you want to enter an encounter.
-Personally, I didn't touch outdoorsman and I left BG at aroun 160, and I put those points in doctor (in case I had a cripple arm) and first aid. I think it was a bad choice because I often got killed in random encounters as a lowbie, and I would've leveld up faster.

PERKS
-Stonewall, Awareness (I don't feel safe without it, but many players do just fine without), cautious nature (since I didn't have a lot of outdoorsman), lifegiver x2, action boy x2

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2010, 09:49:50 pm »

Tom, you are using miniguns without 2 bonus range damage perks and calling flamer useless? I have to strongly disagree. Try to make improved flamer and fuel mkII and you will see. And don't forget that flamer is much, much and much cheaper to maintain then minigun. But I won't recommend using flamer with small frame because it can be quite heavy.

-Do not bring outdoorsman above 95%. Beyond 95% it will not increase your chance to be able to choose whether or not you want to enter an encounter.
And imo this seems to be wrong. Some enounters are more difficult to avoid then others. Somewhere on this forum some developer said that 180% outdoorsman is maximum you should have to avoid 95% of all difficult encounters. (I can't confirm this but I hope I remembered it correctly)

And from my experience I can say that 5 luck is a waste (make it 1) when you have stonewall and enough endurance and if you don't take toughness and BRD.

And one question at the end: Is cautious nature really that worthy to take? Because the less perception you have the closer are enemies to each other (when entering encounter) and that is what big-gunner needs, no?

Tom

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2010, 10:49:43 pm »

bonus range damage perks

Wait, BRD doesn't add 2 damage to every bullet of the minigun burst, right? Right? If it does, I feel like I really screwed up there.

improved flamer and fuel mkII

Yeah, I never really tried it out too much, I had a lot of avengers as soon as I got Tier 3 of BG (I had another character repair them, and buy miniguns). The thing was I didn't like having to run up to people to kill them (or in the case of monsters, have them all over me while I wait for AP to come back). Weight wasn't that much of an issue (7ST + SF = 56kg). To put it in perspective, 50kg is about 110 canisters. I didn't carry lots of ammo around with me anyway in case I died; I had a tent set up near a good leveling spot so I went out on small excursions with 20 canisters or so.

Somewhere on this forum some developer said that 180% outdoorsman is maximum you should have to avoid 95% of all difficult encounters.

I read the 95% thing off the wiki, which is probably outdated. Oh well, it's no big difference whether Adam is going to get 95 or 104 OD.

And from my experience I can say that 5 luck is a waste (make it 1) when you have stonewall and enough endurance and if you don't take toughness and BRD.

I'm actually not too sure about luck. I always leave it at 5 (unless it's a crit. build) whenever I play a Fallout game. There has to be more to it than that.

And one question at the end: Is cautious nature really that worthy to take? Because the less perception you have the closer are enemies to each other (when entering encounter) and that is what big-gunner needs, no?

Like I said, I took it because I had made the bad decision not to increase my outdoorsman beyond 20-something. Doesn't cautious nature make me less likely to spawn right next to an enemy during a random encounter?

Crazy

• Drugged Childkiller
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2010, 11:11:00 pm »

You need 6 luck to get BRD, BRD add +2 to each bullets, 5 Luck is a waste. Improved Flamer is perfect for pexing, suck in all kind of PvP. Cautious nature suck.
When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk

Member of the Most Hated Faction
TTTLA, for Great Justice !
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2010, 11:13:59 pm »

I hope Adam314- will forgive me for placing this uninteresting stuff in his topic. But...

Wait, BRD doesn't add 2 damage to every bullet of the minigun burst, right? Right? If it does, I feel like I really screwed up there.
Well, bad news, It does. Only living anatomy and pyromaniac put bunus to final damage as far as I know.

Doesn't cautious nature make me less likely to spawn right next to an enemy during a random encounter?
But you don't get the point. You spawn right next to them and burst them to death ;D you are not some bloody sniper, are you?

Also if you want to try my crafting BG build (not power-build but handy-build  8)) then
http://img819.imageshack.us/img819/8879/bulidbgcraft.jpg
and just change there "gain luck" (that was a waste) and take "magnetic personality" (having 2 mercs-snipers with you can also help)
This build use rocket laucher for long distance and improved flamer for close combat.
And remember that most of the armours have lower flame resistance than normal resistance.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.109 seconds with 23 queries.