"Wasteland is harsh"
Home Forum Help Login Register
  • September 29, 2024, 12:30:47 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Play WikiBoy BugTracker Developer's blog
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Reworking sneak into something more believable. [Hiding]  (Read 1360 times)

gordulan

• General Animosity
Reworking sneak into something more believable. [Hiding]
« on: September 24, 2010, 12:19:33 pm »

I personally think that the current sneak system swaps between being completely useless and completely overpowered, so I've thought about changing it into something suited to a battlefield and pretty much taking the idea "in"directly from Necromunda. The hiding system.

Hiding can be used much like a cover system, but of course not being spotted by the enemy (If they can't see you they can't shoot you)
Once you are at a cover area (Pretty much anything you can hide behind) you can engage sneak and are hidden by the cover, thus you not being able to be seen by your enemy if his ability to spot you is insufficient.

You cannot engage sneak if an enemy would be able to spot you after you would engage it (see Formulae for an example)
If you move out of the cover the sneak disengages.
If you fire your weapon the sneak diengages.
Moving while in cover, but staying in cover halves your sneak skill making you easier to spot. Silent Running Perk allows you to negate it.
You cannot take cover behind other players, too exploitable...(1 Biggunner uncovered with 3 snipers hiding behind him and each other)
If you are hit sneak disengages

Formulae
Player 1 has 150% sneak skill.
Player 2 has 6 Perception and no bonus sequence modifiers.
player 2 can spot a 0% sneak character in hiding "through" the "cover" at: (Per+Sequ)/2= 9 hexes
Player 2 can detect 0% skill in hiding in plain sight (no cover between the players, hiding in plain sight against a cover[ability to hide in plain sight])  at: Per+Sequ=18 hexes
Player 1 has 150% skill, therefore reducing his ability to be seen from the front by: Skl/50=3 hex reduction
Player 1 can reduce his visibility from the front by : Skl/25=6 hex reduction

So, Player 1 can be detected while in hiding by player 2 being near the cover at: (Per+Sequ)/2-Skl/50=6 Hexes
From plain sight in hiding at: Per+Sequ-Skl/25=12 Hexes

Note: These tables are pretty much something I made up in 20 minutes, so they could use some work...
This is a pretty basic idea which would allow poeple to launch tactical ambushes, and it's the bare-bones version of what I think...

Edit: So, no comments at all? Becasue I can poke holes on tidbits of this (especially the formulae...) this all day myself...
« Last Edit: September 24, 2010, 03:03:38 pm by gordulan »

http://tf-2.fr/ach.php?a=Bend Over, Boyo II&b=Shoot 150 people as they are running away from you... In the arse&c=56&d=150&e=1703&f=1

avv

Re: Reworking sneak into something more believable. [Hiding]
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2010, 02:52:33 pm »

Why should someone with high skill% deserve a bigger chance not to be spotted? Putting skillpoints in a skill doesn't take particular cleverness so it shouldn't provide benefits that are normally received from tactical thinking.
Based on evidence collected from various sources by trustworthy attendees it is undisputed veritability that the land ravaged by atomic warfare which caused extreme change of the ecosystem and environmental hazards can be considered unpleasant, rugged and unforgiving.
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2010, 02:55:21 pm »

Let's remove skills then!

gordulan

• General Animosity
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2010, 02:56:40 pm »

Why should someone with high skill% deserve a bigger chance not to be spotted? Putting skillpoints in a skill doesn't take particular cleverness so it shouldn't provide benefits that are normally received from tactical thinking.

I don't see you coming up with anything better...
I didn't really think of this too thoroughly anyways, but I'd like some Constructive critiscism, not pointless blathering...

Sorry bout that, skipped lunch... Big malus on my "charisma"...
« Last Edit: September 24, 2010, 03:16:54 pm by gordulan »

http://tf-2.fr/ach.php?a=Bend Over, Boyo II&b=Shoot 150 people as they are running away from you... In the arse&c=56&d=150&e=1703&f=1

avv

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2010, 06:03:08 pm »

I didn't really think of this too thoroughly anyways, but I'd like some Constructive critiscism, not pointless blathering...

It's not pointless blathering but may sound like it. Ill take the long way to explain then.

Our combat has 2 basic options: shooting and running. They are available for everyone, except some chars who can't even shoot well. Sneaking is a third ability but it is not available for everyone by default. Well it is, but it's basically useless with its default value. When you can hide, you receive a third ability and load of new possibilities to win a fight. Because of such benefit and fonline's restricted ammount of available skillpoints, it becomes very tempting to have this skill and move other less useful skills to alts. Escpecially when some skills like repair or science do not provide any kind of combat benefit and combat is the only way to "manipulate" other players. Either all skills provide direct combat benefits, or none of them do. Same should go with perks and stats. Or new ways to manipulate other players are implemented. However I deeply question the case how someone is supposed to repair or gamble someone to death.

fallouts were based on fooling npcs a simple dice roll was enough. However when it comes to players, a dice roll isn't acceptable measurement whether someone is invisible or not. Instead of being related to skill% or perception sneaking and detecting a sneaking person should be more dependent on what player does ingame. This means the brightness level, distance, background youre sneaking next to, are you moving or not, enemy's field of view and where he is concentrating his looks. Surface - it measures what kind of sound you make. How silent is the noisy is the enviroment in general? There are loads of possibilities how to make sneaking more interesting and more dependent on player's skill, not his character's.

Based on evidence collected from various sources by trustworthy attendees it is undisputed veritability that the land ravaged by atomic warfare which caused extreme change of the ecosystem and environmental hazards can be considered unpleasant, rugged and unforgiving.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.165 seconds with 22 queries.