"Wasteland is harsh"
Home Forum Help Login Register
  • September 28, 2024, 11:40:30 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Play WikiBoy BugTracker Developer's blog
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Bluesuit nuisance  (Read 4704 times)

jan0s1k

• If it bleeds we can kill it...
    • Chosen Soldiers
Re: Bluesuit nuisance
« Reply #30 on: November 07, 2010, 02:17:42 am »

By that logic then why bother having guards?  Protecting NPCs is useless unless they serve a purpose IE buying and selling to players or giving quests.

The whole point of having guards is to keep CS or Rogues or  from running in and killing/robbing everyone blind AKA protection for EVERYONE.
Killing/robbing bluesuits it our work ;) We are PK so what else we can do? Best way is walking into north towns with ARMED friends which they can support you ;)
And also if guard will be deleted so there will be some group of players who can protect town, look for example on TLA and Klamath project...
Even on TLA there are some PK groups so? Cities are safe (but not 24 per hour) because of Anti PK factions, so do this same and don't wrote about how PK are bad and they need to be nerfed...

« Reply #31 on: November 07, 2010, 03:27:12 am »

@janosk

I don't think I quite follow you on your post.

But, as I said, the whole reason that a city has guards is to keep EVERYONE safe.  I mean whats the point of protecting NPCs when the folks who use them get gunned down for thier loot?

People want to get rid of shopshooting/suicide bombing but all the suggestions onl cause more balancing issues.  The elimination of full loot drop in guarded cities (again its guarded so people can't rob folks blind), would get rid of bluesuits instantly.  Folks wouldn't worry about losing thier shit so they wouldn't mind bringing shit into the city.

But I have a feeling this isn't really about bluesuits.  I think its another player trap suggestion so more shit can be stolen from people in the cities.  Again, people bringing their shit to merchants to sell is tough enough with thieves and exploits but having to bring cooldown consuming armor as well as a requirement for selling their shit??

Lordus

• So long and THANKS for all the fish!
« Reply #32 on: November 07, 2010, 02:57:36 pm »

I like the Sarakins idea.

Look at current trading/barter system. If you need stuff, you have to go to exact squares on world map, set up tent there and loot stuff from dead members of hostile factions. Then you visit traders, sell all laser rifles, miniguns even with absolutely bad exchange ratio, because you have no duty to care about it, source of this stuff is infinite, only real value you have to spend is time. The only barrier between you and combat armor offered by NPC traders is that somebody else was there before you and he exchanged it first.

I would like to see maybe more advanced mechanism.

I like trading, as a player, you have to detect NPC specialization. You can exchange stuff by best ratio, buy stuff with universal value and resell it where you need, if you dont want to loose value. You have to avoid contact with PK, in hard core areas (like Fortress), you have to create tent network for secure parking place for your car,... . The knowledge about this mechanisms is part of player-trader roleplay evolution.

But i miss trading evolution of your character. Of course, that better barter skill provides you more time for trading, quite better prices, but thats all.

Why not implement Sarakins idea? Maybe even add Combat armors as a requirement, if you want to trade with best barter-armorer. It is logical, who cares about nobody, zero in bluesuit. You as a customer needs to proove that you have serious interest to buy that best stuff.

Also, limitation of access to some traders, like Vault City membership is good idea and it should be expanded. There could exist similar limitation in different places. The idea is that your trader char, if you want to roleplay trader, will have to expand the source of possible NPC traders.

a) membership to some faction (VC, Raiders, Brotherhood, Enclave)

Like now, i like the idea that you could not have open doors to all NPC traders.

b) reputation - minimal requirement reputation for some traders (so PK chars could forget about kill and loot their victim and sell/exchange that loot to local merchant)

Better reputation in that locality you have, acces to highest tier weapons/armors you get. :)

c) cloth - we have saying in our language: "Je to pravda odveka, ze saty delaji cloveka" - free translation: "this is true, ancient, that clothes makes the man"

ca) "Sarakin's idea"

cb) Robe as prerequisity for special Apocalypse follower (or other religious organization..). I dont mean basic robe, but some special, limited edition :), maybe with limited numbers in the game, or acquired by same way like gauss pistol or car engine part (plus fulfulling other conditions: ammout of trades, level 21, ...). So you will have to be patient before you get this and it will be kind of reward you will get if you get acces to this robe.

Of course, this will attract PKillers, but if acces to merchants via robe will "only" expand your spectre of NPC with PvP stuff, players who dont need to trade this stuff will be more secure. It will attract attention of PKillers, but it means, that their attention would be focused more on this, not on the other, basic traders (theoreticaly).

d) traveling merchants on world map

Merchant parties with stuff that is insuficient in town based NPC barters (because players bought the best stuff). Less stuff in town, more in traveling merchants. As a player, you will have to discover their traveling patches, time of traveling, existance of stuff and this mechanism. You can limit this encounters by setting limitation per real hour for this meeting to avoiding exploits. Also if you will spend running on world map with valuable stuff to trade, the potencial of hostile random encouter and death by NPC is bigger.

f) quest based (but i know that adding new quest take a lot of work)
« Last Edit: November 07, 2010, 02:59:20 pm by Lordus »
So long and THANKS for all the fish!
« Reply #33 on: November 07, 2010, 03:57:25 pm »

The reputation idea has promise but its no doubt going to anger the "this is the wasteland i can do whatever I want" crowd.  Its a much better idea than using armor as a pre-requisite to trading however.

Whether its armor or money or goods its all the same damned thing.  If you have something someone wants and they have something you want you trade.  Clothes make the man because it shows how much monez he supposedly has (not relistic since a lot of folks can pretend to be rich). 

avv

« Reply #34 on: November 07, 2010, 04:27:00 pm »

The reputation idea has promise but its no doubt going to anger the "this is the wasteland i can do whatever I want" crowd.  Its a much better idea than using armor as a pre-requisite to trading however.

Rep would be much more credible. It's just how rep is supposed to be received.

The thing with armors is that a dude wearing CA could be just some grunt who simply happens to be wearing some top notch gear.
Based on evidence collected from various sources by trustworthy attendees it is undisputed veritability that the land ravaged by atomic warfare which caused extreme change of the ecosystem and environmental hazards can be considered unpleasant, rugged and unforgiving.
« Reply #35 on: November 07, 2010, 04:36:12 pm »

Perfect example is a big gunner tank.

I mean the guys got a LSW, BA and loads of 223. 

Too bad hes either too stupid or too ugly to trade with.  He probably has scars that would make a regular person cringe.  Most folks would think hes a bloodthirsty mercenary that can't be trusted.

Judging people on looks alone gets nobody anywhere.

Sarakin

• Zmikundik
    • Vault šílené brahmíny
« Reply #36 on: November 07, 2010, 06:54:25 pm »

Judging people on looks alone gets nobody anywhere.
Sadly, most people judge others on how they look, not what do they know. Thats how it works nowadays

Anyway, Im happy that this discussion continues, were here to make better game, not to argue with people but about their ideas. I tried it keep as simple as possible, so it can be implemented with no big changes. Personally, I think Lordus' idea is even better.
If it was up to me, Id change trade/thief system completely.

On the side note, I had a thief and I know how its easy and profitable to steal. The only think hard about steal is levelling them (alone with steal). So dont tell me, that its balanced. Im looking forward to fixing that bug which gatling stated.

Lastly, I cant fix exploits, its not my job, I assumed no exploits - even with them, Im wearing armors with my trader all the time and had no problems with exploiters.
The sanctity of this forum has been fouled

[19:41:06] <@JovankaB> einstein said we dont need name colorizing
« Reply #37 on: November 07, 2010, 07:51:10 pm »

Allowing a 1 CH character to trade if he's wearing metal armor i wouldn't mind.. but really all making people wear armor to trade their goods is not going to fix the bluesuit mobs. since people who trade don't stand around really. they get in. do their thing. and than leave. its everyone else standing around being stupid that you see in bluesuits.

As for why people cant trade with too low of a CH score... well who's to say they don't smell like cow crap and look worse? perfectly nice black people have been shunned just for being black, picture a ugly misfit that looks like one of those swampfolk guys from fallout 3: Point Lookout... and than see how long you want to stand talking to him... mix that with low INT and you've got a orc with a machine gun...

Cheers folks.

-Ulrek-
« Reply #38 on: November 08, 2010, 01:33:41 pm »

But, as I said, the whole reason that a city has guards is to keep EVERYONE safe.  I mean whats the point of protecting NPCs when the folks who use them get gunned down for thier loot?

The sole reason NCR has guards is to keep the city and it's citizens protected.
Similar to VC.
We are visitors in NCR, not citizens.
The fact that we can easily kill an npc citizen doesn't change that fact.
That they protect visitors who don't cause problems is done to secure the peace.
After all, it's an RPG somewhere somehow.

As for thieves, guards should shoot thieves who are caught stealing and take everything they have on them.
A thief character isn't hard to level as long as you don't solely depend on your steal skill.
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Page created in 0.072 seconds with 22 queries.