"Wasteland is harsh"
Home Forum Help Login Register
  • July 01, 2024, 10:26:31 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Play WikiBoy BugTracker Developer's blog
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Cooler scavenging (mostly in the Boneyard)  (Read 1763 times)

Eternauta

• Beyond repair.
    • Crazy 88 Official Forum
Cooler scavenging (mostly in the Boneyard)
« on: September 15, 2010, 07:03:13 pm »

Well I was doing the quest to find the Sad Wife's hanged husband and when she said that her husband had heard of the "opportunity" to become rich by scavenging in the Boneyard, it made me think of something:

what about making it possible to find more kinds of items in random urban maps? So far (as far as I know at least) you can only find junk and the car piece. Don't you think it would be cool if you could also find stuff like, say, books in ruined libraries? or alcoholic drinks in liquor stores, gun shops with deteriorated pistols or shotguns, maybe Leather Jackets in clothes shops...

I think this would make the Boneyard a much cooler place. By the way, the urban maps they designed (with high buildings and such) are awesome. But I think it is still not really attractive to players, especially after the wipe when they added deadly floaters, centaurs and mutants (how come supermutants still have ammo after 160 years?)

Note: English is not my first language so don't be cruel on me if I make any mistakes.
Re: Cooler scavenging (mostly in the Boneyard)
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2010, 07:06:36 pm »

I agree, it'd be nice to see more of everything scavengeable. Even in desert encounters. Caves are nice, but hypos and condoms aren't really enough to encourage you to explore every cave you see.

Is there a way to add a randomised drop system for this kind of thing?

Eternauta

• Beyond repair.
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2010, 07:13:39 pm »

The idea of finding a wider variety of items in all kinds of maps is attractive to everyone. But I think the focus should be on the urban areas and, like I said, in The Boneyard mostly. As it is a big city, I think it should encourage people to go look for items there.

Pozzo

• Tim Tom & Ted Lawyer Agency
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2010, 07:16:36 pm »

Once again, crafting is too much important in the game ;

More scavenging
Less crafting

:)

Ned Logan

• chaotic good/neutral
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2010, 07:50:40 pm »

I support this a lot, but there should be more interesting encounters in all areas, more interesting caves, not just urban areas...

Eternauta

• Beyond repair.
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2010, 07:55:19 pm »

Once again, crafting is too much important in the game ;

More scavenging
Less crafting

:)

I'm not really against crafting... but I'm sure we all agree in that scavenging is very poor in this game.
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2010, 12:12:53 am »

Extremely poor, especially now that (apparrently) the Boneyard has gotten super nasty and dangerous.  Seriously? Doesn't that invalidate some of the quests out there already in the Boneyard? Namely the whole dog pack thing.  IF there are muties and floaters roaming around, why are people there scared of some rabid dogs?

Steve_Zissou: izual is very old school
Steve_Zissou: he likes the sound it makes when we whine at him
[TSAR]Jeoshua: It brings him pleasure... also chubbies
Izual: I live for that sound

Gatling

• Violent Pacifist.
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2010, 01:14:54 am »

why are people there scared of some rabid dogs?

Have you ever Done that dog quest?  Theres sometimes nearly 15 of those things.  And if you don't have a good combat build, lots of hp, or good armor, they'll eat you alive.  Muties may be a danger, but swarms of roving, carnivorous canines while seeming minor, would be a threat all the same.  Maybe more so considering the dogs can continue to breed and the muties more or less will have a finite amount of them.
And now...
"Never compromise. Not even in the face of Armageddon."- Rorschach
"It's what people know about themselves inside... that makes them afraid." -The Stranger

Ganado

• Dishonest Abe
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2010, 01:37:18 am »

I love that dog quest. Vicious doggies. They'd looked so cute too... until they took a chunk of my leg off. Anyway...

Yes, more scavenging would be great. I like how you need to go to city tiles to find junk, and how this gives a bonus to PvE because you can collect things like Flint, Flowers/Root, and Junk while fighting, but scavenging could be improved.

As Badger said (man, that guy has a lot of good ideas), caves need to be more "exciting". I'm not saying "Have Raiders with Sniper Rifles at every corner."
No, I'm saying that every cave should have at least something. Whether this be two pieces of junk, a deteriorated gun next to a dead body surrounded by little rats, or a pack of ten tribals waiting for something to eat, caves should be more exiting, but also, at times, more dangerous to go into. Like Lordus said once, it would be rare, but sometimes you would stumble into a cave with Fire Geckos right at the enterence, so it would be risky but fun.

Scavenging in random encounters could be improved, too. Maybe every once in a while, you find a dead rotting carcass when you enter an encounter with some loot on it. Not any high-tier stuff, just a thing or two to help some newbie that isn't skilled enough to craft yet.

Limit these types of "find deteriorated gun with ammo" encounters that I just mentioned to players level 1 to 4 or similar. To answer a future complaint, no this would not just lead to farming these types of encounters, because it will only be deteriorated 9mm or 10mm gun, with very little ammo, would be fairly rare, and people with alts with higher levels wouldn't bother wasting their time to find some deteriorated 10mm Pistol, but it could help a new player out very much.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2010, 01:44:44 am by Dishonest Abe »
Error while opening cfg file: spawnnpc.cfg
Shit! Damn admins! Always ruining my fun! I guess I'll talk to them. WITH MY FISTS!!!! No seriously, I will write them a nice email or make a thread on the forums or something. Thanks!

Eternauta

• Beyond repair.
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2010, 03:34:20 am »

Well, after considering your comments I must say you are right... Scavenging in general needs a bit of an overhaul and not only in urban maps.

I want to thank everyone for your replies. It's good to see creative players with cools ideas.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.088 seconds with 21 queries.