No, and I don't like PKs
- 37 (44.6%)
Yes, and I like PKs or I am one
- 14 (16.9%)
No, and I like PKs or I am one
- 13 (15.7%)

Total Members Voted: 82

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Name colorizing changes  (Read 5830 times)

Ned Logan

• chaotic good/neutral
Name colorizing changes
« on: August 31, 2010, 12:56:59 am »

If you voted "Yes..." please explain why.

As far as I understand the changes, the client side (NameColorizing.txt) name colorizing would only show on your team members...
Why do this change?
After this change, everyone who doesn't shoot on sight is at huge disadvantage. Before the change, the gangs could share their lists of enemies or their members. Now there is no way for us to construct those lists, so we can only try to memorize the names (like a telephone number book)...

The server side green/red coloring is no good, because:
1) it is per char
2) it is not shareable
3) often you don't manage to color the person (he is not standing still or is out of your view - often when you are lying on the ground dead)

So now there is no way to make something like outlaw lists possible...
Combined with no global karma system, which I don't like as much as I hate this changeit is even more safe to play as a PK gang...
Yes, that is definitely what this server needs - alienate it's anti-PK playerbase...
Do you want us to start "roleplaying raiders" too? I would if it wouldn't be so hypocritical of me...
Definitely a good step 2238 team, now with FOnline SDK out in any day... I applaud you...

(As a note, I think pretty much all the other changes with the update seem good to me, but this is just a bit too strong poison for an otherwise tasty dish...)
« Last Edit: August 31, 2010, 01:19:42 am by Ned Logan »
Re: Name colorizing changes
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2010, 01:04:14 am »

I just don't understand why ANYONE would like this change.  Has there been any word on why it was done? It's not abusable, as far as I can tell.
Steve_Zissou: izual is very old school
Steve_Zissou: he likes the sound it makes when we whine at him
[TSAR]Jeoshua: It brings him pleasure... also chubbies
Izual: I live for that sound
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2010, 01:37:43 am »

I liked how it used to be with colorizing list. I can not remember every name of people trying to rob me so not making it shareable, even between local character, its very inconvenient. Also, I really liked the idea of an outlaw list, that way at least you would know that being a cold blooded murderer could have some global consequences.
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2010, 01:49:57 am »

Since namecolorizing now works only for your faction, why not just colorize all members of your faction - lot less micromanagement related to preparing and downloading it.
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2010, 01:52:22 am »

Since namecolorizing now works only for your faction, why not just colorize all members of your faction - lot less micromanagement related to preparing and downloading it.
Well really.. just make all members of your faction (+NPC faction if you're in NPC faction) by teal or blue or something color.
And hostile (orange or something) color for all names that belongs to gang that trying to capture town and this gang isn't yours.
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2010, 09:23:41 am »

It's still not completely clear to me how the new changes work.

Why not colorize names based upon the faction terminal?
A colour for faction members, a colour for friends and a colour for enemies of the faction based upon the faction terminal (assuming it's finally user friendly).
Off course this would only be visible for members of your faction as you can be added as friend to a lot of factions.
To me it's a better solution than using namecolorizing.
Changes would be immediate this way which is very convenient when it comes to new members and people who have been kicked from the faction.

Izual

• Roaming entertainer.
    • Youtube
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2010, 10:36:57 am »

A poll won't change anything so what's the point? We have to test this game, not to complain about "it was better before". Who knows, maybe it's part of a bigger plan? I liked Namecolorizing in some way, but I also disliked it in some other ways - we had it, now we haven't got it, let's see how it works.
My Youtube channel.

"Another problem is that we listen to the vocal players, who in many cases are wrong-headed."
- J.E. Sawyer

kraskish

• Chars: Perforator & Penetrator =D
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2010, 11:22:17 am »

I just don't understand why ANYONE would like this change.  Has there been any word on why it was done? It's not abusable, as far as I can tell.

Current system is unfair and unconvenient. You need to edit your name colorizing. There are no villans with -1000 or more overall karma displayed as red, it can be everyone. In fallout it did matter, the current system is unfallouty. For big factions it doesnt matter, for everyone else - yes
Chars: Perforator, Penetrator Leaderator

Cha

• Lawyer for Great Justice.
    • TTTLA FORUM
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2010, 11:48:40 am »

Who knows, maybe it's part of a bigger plan?

Any information to share ?

Ned Logan

• chaotic good/neutral
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2010, 05:14:00 pm »

A poll won't change anything so what's the point? We have to test this game, not to complain about "it was better before". Who knows, maybe it's part of a bigger plan? I liked Namecolorizing in some way, but I also disliked it in some other ways - we had it, now we haven't got it, let's see how it works.
I know I can't undo the damage, but at least I want to know "Why?!"...

You shoul know, I was planning to make a web aplication for players to manage their friends/enemies/whetever (Wordpress-style-software) and to generate the NameColorizing.txt from that...
It is because of no such ease-of-use support, that the color lists wheren't updated often, there was no notification for example that someone has been added to the TTTLA criminal records... This might have resulted in deaths of some people who might have not deserved it, combined with PK propaganda, wrecking the color list and anti-PK image...

I already wrote a post suggesting how a name colorizing should work, even how it is realism-wise, please have a read:
Ok, been thinking about the mugshot thing a lot - Fallout world resembles old american wild west a lot, so I am gonna draw parallels from that...

On the wild west, there WANTED posters of outlaws, usually with a price on their head. This isn't really applicable to FOnline universe, since there is no single authority like sheriffs - outlaws have their WANTED posters too.

On the other hand in wild west there were numerous places which propagated themselves to visitors and customers. The analogy to FOnline isn't too clear in this case - it is practially impossible to maintain a public place, like a shop, bar or a town - they change ownership too often. So instead of places, we have faces - if you can recognize TTTLA members guarding a town, you may consider it safe, if you are not an outlaw to them.

These two features today are provided by name colorizing.
Using the innovative system we discussing this feature would be provided in game, by pipboy. Imagine pipboys were a very common accessory in the pre-war world of Fallout (they had energy weapons and power armors after all), much like iPhones, Android phones and whatever are becoming today. Since the war probably has wiped out all the satelites on the orbit, we are kinda disconnected, have to use radio etc...

So there would be an pipboy management agency lets say in NCR which not only sells and repairs pipboys but manages data which users can download - sort of digital library, poor wastelanders internet. This agency would manage the mugshots... for a fee you could submit your own depiction with name to the database so everyone recognized you.
Or, out in the wild you could take a depiction of someone (kinda like those angel/devil coloring buttons). Whether the person introduced to you or not, the agency won't accept your depiction and associated information with it - like name, name coloring etc, because stuff is relative, they have no reason to trust you.
Factions and individuals could have accounts in the database where they could manage the depictions and their associated information. It would get really complex when dealing with distrubiting and merging these data... I really don't think creating such complex in game system is a good way to spend time as a developer.
So I think best would be just that players keep their name coloring and name records in their pipboy and it could be exported and loaded from file like NameColoring.txt now is. That file would contain internal server ID of the character, it's known name (optional) and coloring (optional).

This would be nice way for gangs to manage lists of their members, friends and enemies, while not breaking the original idea.

Izual

• Roaming entertainer.
    • Youtube
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2010, 05:19:02 pm »

Well, then I'm going to tell you the reasons why I disliked it (the reasons why I liked it, I think you already know them :P). A brand new player, new to the game, is given by his gang (or by anyone) a list of the "bad people" and the "good people". Not even faction-based, just a database of the shoot-on-sight players. Another thing, it made big alliances easier, and I hate that.

Now I'm not trying to defend this change, because I have no opinion about it (My personal use of namecolorizing was basically the same as the game allows us to do with green/red names). But I highlighted what was bad with it.

The way I see it, namecolorizing would be automatically filled, faction-based. Like, each faction gets an automatic color, and you don't have to do anything else (you could maybe change the color for each faction, but that's all). But I don't think it'll ever happen :p
My Youtube channel.

"Another problem is that we listen to the vocal players, who in many cases are wrong-headed."
- J.E. Sawyer
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2010, 05:26:17 pm »

What is disappointing with this change is that now, it will be impossible to know Who is Who.

It's a kind of identity loss.
And especially gangs identity.

Indeed, Namecolorizing had the advantage of compensating the "everyone is a clone" of fonline.

When we killed/were killed by a band and fought side by side with a band, we knew its IDENTITY: RDA, Rogues, BBS, VSB, Hawks, CND...

Now, it will be just: "Aw, Today? we were killed by guys and we killed some, that's all"...

But well, nevermind, I'm sure there is an advantage in this change that I have not noticed yet :)

Apart from this detail: BIG APPLAUSE FOR THE GOOD WORK DEV!
TTTLA for a New World Order

Cha

• Lawyer for Great Justice.
    • TTTLA FORUM
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2010, 05:30:06 pm »

A brand new player, new to the game, is given by his gang (or by anyone) a list of the "bad people" and the "good people"

And this is a bad thing ??

Its like the gang teach him who is ennemy and who is not....

Less big alliance ? Okay lets buy a common base like red dots....

Its becoming much more easier now than before to act like a raider since keeping track of someone and share this information with others will become harder... (manual tag ? rofl)

No... it cant be like this... sure devs have something else... do you ?

Bantz

• Mao!Mao!
    • Gang VŠB
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2010, 05:32:15 pm »

I consider pro arguments for that change very poor, given the loss.
Maybe it means that the next update will bring gang tags or something like that. I hope so. I realy do.

Pozzo

• Tim Tom & Ted Lawyer Agency
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2010, 05:35:01 pm »

I think that this change will encourage more PK in the game. If you don't know what is the faction of the guy in front of you you will just shoot before being shot.
With namecolorizing we can identify raiders gangs and shoot them on sight before they attack everyone.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Page created in 0.138 seconds with 24 queries.