"Wasteland is harsh"
Home Forum Help Login Register
  • April 27, 2024, 07:54:33 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Play WikiBoy BugTracker Developer's blog
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Client<>Server Negotiation before random encounters  (Read 2722 times)

Client<>Server Negotiation before random encounters
« on: May 25, 2010, 03:54:40 pm »

Hello,
I am opening this topic because just a while ago I started going from Den to NCR, but in a minute or so my internet connection dropped while I was walking over the worldmap and I had no internet connection about 5-6 mins. I was full of stuff like weaps-ammo, armor, money and hq materials - was going to craft items. I entered the game and presumably I was killed.
So I think implementing such negotiation feature like "ping" - ex. is the client responsive at the current moment - before encounter(I am not very sure how communication is organized in the engine) should be good and not hard to implement. Clients playing over wireless connection could also suffer such data loss while roaming or other obstacles for the media on which goes the data and that is very unpleasant experience.

Regards,
Ed

Imprezobus

• Imprezobus here!
    • Forum Los Alamos Warriors
Re: Client<>Server Negotiation before random encounters
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2010, 04:35:06 pm »

fuck yeah, I wanted to post this few days ago, you are reading my poor mind of wireless player
Self-proclaimed best guide in the wastes.
http://www.law.netarteria.eu/files/bus.jpg by MACabra, edit by Frozen Mind
Snackish: pks pks pks. Kilgore: BBS is here, town is safe

Michaelh139

• Goin for 900,000...
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2010, 10:32:37 pm »

+1
Whenever I say something, imagine \"In my opinion"/ being in the front of every sentence.
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2010, 12:22:35 am »

fixing this could be as simple as adding in a small pop up that says "you encounter something in the wastes" that works just like if you found something, but it only allows you to enter the encounter, rather than automaticly dropping you in to the encounter.

you just need to make sure the window doesnt go away one you log back in and leaves you stuck on it untill you click "enter encounter", other than that, the only other good side to make up for having to click the damn thing over and over again, is being given a chance to talk tactics with your party if you have one, or heal etc.

-Ulrek-
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2010, 06:47:45 am »

Nah, I meant something simpler, like "ping", invisible to the player because additional windows in such case could be very irritating if you are playing for longer time and traveling at longer distances

P.S. Does somebody know where I can find the FOnline engine source/SDK so I could post adequate suggestions or patches?
Regards,
Ed
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2010, 10:25:12 am »

The source or SDK hasn't been released publically yet.

The last thing I've read was something about a release in upcoming August.

And besides it won't be 2238 you will be developing for, they are not planning to release their scripts. I don't see a reason to play 2238 anymore when SDK is out. Imo they made some very bad moves to try and balance things.

Can't wait for release. :)
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2010, 12:12:02 am »

The source or SDK hasn't been released publically yet.

The last thing I've read was something about a release in upcoming August.

And besides it won't be 2238 you will be developing for, they are not planning to release their scripts. I don't see a reason to play 2238 anymore when SDK is out. Imo they made some very bad moves to try and balance things.

Can't wait for release. :)
True... I will try NOT to look at the whole source, otherwise the magic will be really lost :)
You are right despite the fact that nobody from the "big wheel" ( reference - *BSD ) answered this topic.
I hope someone does something about this problem... I am saying goodbye to my optic connections because I am moving to another apartment.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.056 seconds with 21 queries.