"Wasteland is harsh"
Home Forum Help Login Register
  • April 27, 2024, 07:23:16 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Play WikiBoy BugTracker Developer's blog
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: tracking device  (Read 2761 times)

tracking device
« on: May 25, 2010, 02:18:10 pm »

a tracking device, in game that consist of two items.
one item  is bug that can be hidden in another item (it doesnt show in inventory when hidden)
and other thing is reciever.
every playear can set password on bug that transmitts signal so that he can track it later when respawned with another reciver. if he knows password.

Nexxos

• o_O
  • O_o
Re: tracking device
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2010, 03:09:39 pm »

Sounds like not-wastelandish to me.
“And we passed through the cavern of rats.

And we passed through the path of streaming flamethrowers.

And we passed through the faction of the blind.

And we passed through the slough of swarm.

And we passed through the vale of tears.

And we came, finally, to the ice caverns.

vedaras

• King of the wasteland
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2010, 03:48:26 pm »

it would be damn fucked up, gang fights pvp in town and winning gang cant loot cause of fuckin bugs? highly abusable and it would lower trading between everyone to a minimal amount so i think the idea sucks.
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2010, 05:06:34 pm »

maybe if it is rare enouhg , and detectable. with high perception,

vedaras

• King of the wasteland
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2010, 05:17:50 pm »

there are no such thing as rare items :> And never the less the damage you could do with it is too big for item to exist.
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2010, 12:26:28 am »

And never the less the damage you could do with it is too big for item to exist.

thats what they said about nukes one they first found out how to make those you know..

personally, if you had the option to detect the bugs with a skill, or a item like a signal detection device, than you could just "clean" the items of bugs before you head to your main base.

but personally i'd have to say i take Ved's side, it does seem rather "un-fallouty" in away, to me, even if the idea does seem interesting.

-Ulrek-

Sashi

• Rolling my saving throw
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2010, 07:33:38 am »

I could only see this on cars, and only if it cost A LOT!

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2010, 08:39:38 am »

I think its a rather interesting idea, but would cause too many problems. It would either require so many limitations that it becomes useless, and still remains a big  potential problem, or is simply far to overpowered.

I could easily just leave a .223 pistol lying on the ground with some armor and ammo near an unguarded base, as if i had died there. Someone comes along, picks the stuff up and move along, mining and then presumably going back to his base. I simply follow him there, kill him, and loot the base.

I love the idea, and it if involved with the traps skill it would be cool, but there are simply too many problems/abuses that would come with it.

myguy

• What ......special encounter?
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2010, 02:17:31 pm »

Too un-fallout and too OP for those who have it......nahhhhh
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2010, 03:28:17 pm »

RF (radio frequency)tags are used in stores to prevent theft, Very common and very easy to install. I like the idea of being able to get revenge on the people that kill me. As it is, its just too hard to locate the people you want when you want them.

Not sure if the tags are the way to go, but I would like to have the encounter I died in be visable for 30 minutes after I replicate to give me the opportunity to reclaim my gear from the NPC's that killed me (like a distress beacon). Or being able to Ping a radio frequency to see the locations of everybody transmitting from that frequency~ in which case I would ALWAYS carry a radio on me.
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2010, 07:15:07 pm »

Just out of curiosity, how is this at all "too unfallout"
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2010, 12:54:18 am »

how is it "unfallout" bugs are simple and would just be radio based, just make it repair roll to see how well you hide it, otherwise it can be seen on closer inspection, if someone repairs the weapon it is detected and removed, you would look for them with a modified radio. materials to make it would just be like a radio, electronic parts and junk.

Sashi

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2010, 08:51:22 am »

RFID tags have a limited range, a VERY limited range. A few hundred feet if using a station such as a radio beacon (Think computer and large high voltage antenna), and only millimeters with a handheld detector. Certainly nothing that can span farther than a city block.

It's understandable that it can be accomplished in fallout, but only for uses like we use them for today, like tagging cattle. Which in fallout is plausible because they could tag slaves with RFID to identify them between different slaver groups.

Just doesn't seem worth the effort.

« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2010, 12:46:14 pm »

RFID tags transmit at high freq so they have limited range , this is different or even future / alien tech is possibility in fallout universe
« Last Edit: May 27, 2010, 12:54:19 pm by bruto »

Sashi

« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2010, 01:30:28 am »

Still sounds like it can be abused.

Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.075 seconds with 21 queries.