"Wasteland is harsh"
Home Forum Help Login Register
  • April 27, 2024, 03:17:56 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Play WikiBoy BugTracker Developer's blog
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Combat initating text  (Read 4617 times)

Combat initating text
« on: May 23, 2010, 10:42:07 pm »

I suggest to make it clear with something simple like [Combat] when you choose an option that launches you into combat. I just tried to check for a job and the crimson caravan traders. They said I don't hire drug addicts. I chose the only speech option I had and was quickly murdered by them.
(I drank some nuka cola)
 I lost my guns and bullets my .223 pisto,l 50 or so fmj rounds, my combat jacket, my tool, mats I was gonna use to make a desert eagle and some ammo and my combat knife just because some speech option wasn't clear that I was initiating combat for no reason.

I don't think this would take alot of time to implement.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2010, 10:47:53 pm by Sephis »

Sashi

• Rolling my saving throw
Re: Combat initating text
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2010, 02:32:01 am »

I agree, sometimes the NPC's can be deceiving that way. I've been attacked before for saying the only option I had for an NPC.

Maybe make a [Just walk away] option in all chats.

Lexx

• Rotator
  • Mexican Apple Thief
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2010, 10:33:14 am »

In worst case, you can press "0" or esc button to quit the dialog at any time.
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2010, 10:40:59 am »

Along these same lines; I think certain NPC's should force a dialog box on a player. Like the guards in NCR that say PUT AWAY YOUR WEAPON!! You then have the dialog box option to put away your weapon, attack the guard, or bribe him.

Sashi

• Rolling my saving throw
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2010, 09:42:36 pm »

Along these same lines; I think certain NPC's should force a dialog box on a player. Like the guards in NCR that say PUT AWAY YOUR WEAPON!! You then have the dialog box option to put away your weapon, attack the guard, or bribe him.

+1 to this but it should be on the third warning

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2010, 10:43:58 pm »

In worst case, you can press "0" or esc button to quit the dialog at any time.
I know that lexx, but It seems natural to actually use dialog to close text. So i think there should be a warning with combat initiating text. I would of pressed 0 If i had ANY clue it might of started combat.  (I'm kind of playing a roll I like to respond if I don't think i'll die for it)
« Last Edit: May 24, 2010, 10:48:05 pm by Sephis »

Michaelh139

• Goin for 900,000...
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2010, 10:49:46 pm »

*Starts showing +1's in this ballot box too....*
Whenever I say something, imagine \"In my opinion"/ being in the front of every sentence.
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2010, 10:58:54 pm »

+1 and also "GET YOUR STUPID ASS OUT OF THE WAY!" (when you're blocking doorways.) if it's hard to make the char move via a dialog option, the dialog option can be something like "1. Okay. [You have to move your character manually!!!]"
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2010, 01:36:22 am »

Seriously for roleplay, and playability reasons this is worth doing.

Izual

• Roaming entertainer.
    • Youtube
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2010, 09:02:04 am »

I'm against this. Read the dialogue, and think a bit before choosing an option (Or pressing ESC or 0). With this suggestion, dialogues begin to be summed up and all the text begins to be killed by tags. Eventually it would look like this :

- [Start quest] (Text.)
- [Combat] (Text.)
- [Leave] (Text.)

Read the dialogue and think about their consequences. If you insult someone in real life, sometimes he will try to fight with you, that's the same in FOnline.
My Youtube channel.

"Another problem is that we listen to the vocal players, who in many cases are wrong-headed."
- J.E. Sawyer
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2010, 10:43:18 am »

edit: hmm i guess izual is right. but i'm still up for "when guards are about to attack for being in a doorway or holding a gun, there should be a dialog window."
« Last Edit: May 28, 2010, 10:46:15 am by Cokomantis »

Izual

• Roaming entertainer.
    • Youtube
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2010, 11:31:27 am »

That's a totally different suggestion.
My Youtube channel.

"Another problem is that we listen to the vocal players, who in many cases are wrong-headed."
- J.E. Sawyer

Haraldx

• This forum... The memories... The history...
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2010, 12:38:41 pm »

Izual, sorry but I was shot for actually saying ''who are you?'' and then the only option was ''Take out your gun and take cover while in slow-motioen the bullets fly by your head.'' IS THAT NORMAL?
I still can be reached over e-mail if you somehow need anything from me. Don't see a reason why you would, but if you do, e-mail remains the safest bet, as I do not visit this forum reliably anymore.

Izual

• Roaming entertainer.
    • Youtube
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2010, 12:56:31 pm »

Well, this option obviously leads to a fight, don't you think ?
Also, you could have pressed ESC. But in this case, there should also be another option for leaving, I agree - got to tell writers about that.
My Youtube channel.

- J.E. Sawyer

Surf

• это моё.
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2010, 01:19:58 pm »

I have to agree with Harald here, I wouldn't expect a gun in my face too when I just say "who are you?" to someone. :P
But as Izual said, combat initating texts aren't the way to go, it's more a job for the writers, to maybe make it bit more obvious that the fella won't like option XY and tries to shoot you then...
Pages: [1] 2

Page created in 0.08 seconds with 21 queries.