"Wasteland is harsh"
Home Forum Help Login Register
  • April 28, 2024, 03:51:56 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Play WikiBoy BugTracker Developer's blog
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: On perception and random encounter intrusions.  (Read 2794 times)

Archaeon_dude

• "PKing is baaaaad!"
On perception and random encounter intrusions.
« on: May 18, 2010, 07:14:19 am »

The protocol for the coincidence of players in random encounters is, in my opinion, far from perfect. In order to allow a better chance of survival for lowe level players in random encounters interveined by PKs, I suggest a new skill check to be performed, related to the character's perception. Such a skillcheck would alert the player of the arrival/presence of another wastelander in the area. The higher the character's perception, the more detailed the information provided by the skillcheck. For example: A character with PE:3 might be alerted with the message "You hear a faint sound of footsteps in another direction", while a character with PE:6 might be alerted of the specific direction and an area of the map could be temporarily highlighted to provide a relatively incomplete information of the other player's location. In the case of characters with PE:10, the contours of the arriving player(s) could be highlighted. The variable of distance should also be inserted in the programing of such skillcheck. The skills sneak and outdoorsman could have a counteracting effect in benefit to the arriving player.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2010, 08:49:58 pm by Archaeon_dude »
Didn't, got killed.
Re: On perception and random encounter intrusions.
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2010, 11:28:49 am »

The protocol for the coincidence of players in random encounters is, in my opinion, far from perfect. In order to allow a better chance of survival for lowe level players in random encounters interveined by PKs, I suggest a new skill check to be performed, related to the character's perception. Such a skillcheck would alert the player of the arrival/presence of another wastelander in the area. The higher the character's perfection, the more detailed the information provided by the skillcheck. For example: A character with PE:3 might be alerted with the message "You hear a faint sound of footsteps in another direction", while a character with PE:6 might be alerted of the specific direction and an area of the map could be temporarily highlighted to provide a relatively incomplete information of the other player's location. In the case of characters with PE:10, the contours of the arriving player(s) could be highlighted. The variable of distance should also be inserted in the programing of such skillpoint. The skills sneak and outdoorsman could have a counteracting effect in benefit to the arriving player.

Good one, heck outdoorsman should even help you protect you from players jumping in.

(I have 200% outdoorsman, I should be smart enough to wipe out my tracks to make it harder to find me)
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2010, 09:08:19 pm »

I think such thing should check ONLY outdoorsman skill and not PE to not promote snipers over big gunners.

I think its nice idea and pwning noobs in random encounters near towns is not main source of epeen for players so hope it will be in game.

Archaeon_dude

• "PKing is baaaaad!"
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2010, 10:00:41 pm »

The skills involved should be Outdoorsman and Sneak, yet Perception is not dismissable. The thresold of intruder detection might be a formula of both Perception and Outdoorsman, but characters with low perception should recieve the tradeoffs of their build. No one can excel at everything.

POLEMIZE, PEOPLE! THIS IS IMPORTANT! BRING SOME ATTENTION OVER THE SUBJECT!
Didn't, got killed.

Drakonis

• Oh oh this is furtile...
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2010, 10:07:39 pm »

I think such thing should check ONLY outdoorsman skill and not PE to not promote snipers over big gunners.

I think its nice idea and pwning noobs in random encounters near towns is not main source of epeen for players so hope it will be in game.

huh? isnt it obvious that hawk eye should be superior in this over a BG? besides BG needs less % in weapon skill so they usually get more % outdoorsman anyways.
"But... Isn't Betty a womans name...?"

vedaras

• King of the wasteland
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2010, 10:39:07 pm »

i agree with outdoors man thing too :>
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2010, 11:17:38 pm »

huh? isnt it obvious that hawk eye should be superior in this over a BG? besides BG needs less % in weapon skill so they usually get more % outdoorsman anyways.

No. "hawk eye" is good on shooting range or in city schooting(and to determinate position after spawning as it is now) but in wasteland only outdoorsman skill and maybe sneak' a little' but mostly outdoorsman should be checked for this idea.

Archaeon_dude

• "PKing is baaaaad!"
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2010, 12:12:58 am »

I don't quite get what "hawk eye" is. May you please unnoobernize me?
Didn't, got killed.
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2010, 03:37:14 am »

A hawk eye is a sniper.They must have eyes like a hawk to be able to shoot other people in the eyes from 50 hexes.And since Pe is about more than just vision I think it should hold more weight in this skill check.Overall i like the idea but Pe is very important for anyone in an outdoors setting since it not only lets you see far but you are also aware of little details other people might miss like sounds, tracks, and smells.The outdoors skill is what allows you to properly use the signs.Anyone with a keen eye can notice foot prints in th dirt but only an outdoorsman will know how old they are if they were made by 5 people or 7.

Archaeon_dude

• "PKing is baaaaad!"
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2010, 05:47:59 am »

Wasn't the classic build of Outdoorsman based only in EN? That could be modified but I can clearly see it could make fuss. Keeping it canon makes it easier for heavier built characters, different from a sort of lightweight sniper, to counterweght the perceptual proficiency of the other class. What you say is totally realistic, but if we're to mess with the base of Outdoors, perception might need to have less weight than endurance. Or at least that's what I think right now.
Didn't, got killed.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 21 queries.