"Wasteland is harsh"
Home Forum Help Login Register
  • April 28, 2024, 12:01:44 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Play WikiBoy BugTracker Developer's blog
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Add a 4th tag skill to reduce alts  (Read 5271 times)

Add a 4th tag skill to reduce alts
« on: May 16, 2010, 11:05:10 pm »

The problem with alts is that they are necessary due to the intense specialization brought about by limited stat/skill points. Having to choose only 3 skill ensures that your character is lacking something crucial. If you have a crafter you can't fight well with the weapons you craft and if you have a combat char you can't really do anything else. Considering every crafting profession uses waste skills like science or traps that otherwise have little benefit you either sacrifice valuable skillpoints to achieve useless levels of points. 120% repair does nothing yet is a requirement, neither does traps but if there was a 4th tag skill it would at least be possible. There was a reason there was a tag perk in f2, the game is too varied to only concentrate on 3 skills.

Michaelh139

• Goin for 900,000...
Re: Add a 4th tag skill to reduce alts
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2010, 11:21:12 pm »

The problem with alts is that they are necessary due to the intense specialization brought about by limited stat/skill points. Having to choose only 3 skill ensures that your character is lacking something crucial. If you have a crafter you can't fight well with the weapons you craft and if you have a combat char you can't really do anything else. Considering every crafting profession uses waste skills like science or traps that otherwise have little benefit you either sacrifice valuable skillpoints to achieve useless levels of points. 120% repair does nothing yet is a requirement, neither does traps but if there was a 4th tag skill it would at least be possible. There was a reason there was a tag perk in f2, the game is too varied to only concentrate on 3 skills.
+1, but this could only be implemented if there was a wipe....  ( At least I believe so ).
Whenever I say something, imagine \"In my opinion"/ being in the front of every sentence.

Lordus

• So long and THANKS for all the fish!
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2010, 12:44:23 am »

pay per play = one real measure against alting...
So long and THANKS for all the fish!

Surf

• это моё.
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2010, 12:47:26 am »

pay per play = one real measure against alting...

But this will never happen. ;) (legal issues)
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2010, 03:25:05 am »

Simply ask for a valid mail, it should slow a bit the process

Mr Feltzer

• FOnline: Australia
    • The Core Gaming Australia's Website
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2010, 03:44:23 am »

Yeah Re-Add "Tag" Perk.. Pl0x?
Founder of Fallout Online Australia
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2010, 04:20:50 am »

It won't solve anything.

I use several "pure crafter alts", every of them is lvl 5-7. Placing "Tag!" perk most likely won't change anything.

You need to understand that there is no simple solution to reduce alting.
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2010, 07:22:33 am »

I think adding 4th tag is wrong.

I think we should just limit maximal skill % so players wont go with big guns to 200% or with small guns, energy guns to 250%, first aid 170% etc - Limit all those skills to 100% max for exemple.

Then players will have enought skill points for missing skills.
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2010, 08:36:34 am »

I like the idea of lowering skills but not to 100.I think 200 is a good place to top it off but im not so sure it will ever happen.I think the devs want people to have to work together and if we all had every skill we needed no one would have to.

On the other side of the coin, we dont really work together now except among our own groups and gangs so maybe its a good idea.It not like alting could get worse so what do we have to lose by giving it a try?
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2010, 08:44:17 am »

I think adding 4th tag is wrong.

I think we should just limit maximal skill % so players wont go with big guns to 200% or with small guns, energy guns to 250%, first aid 170% etc - Limit all those skills to 100% max for exemple.

Then players will have enought skill points for missing skills.

100% skill is terrible, thats like a 70% chance to hit anyone with armour on

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2010, 08:48:59 am »

I dont think he means to leave the stats the same while just reducing the number of  points till its maxed.It would require all the skills to be reworked so that 100% is equal to what 300% is now.It sounds like alot of work and not likely to happen but we can still hope for a change.
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2010, 10:12:26 am »

reducing it to 100% is like tripling the amount of points available, that wouldn't balance it you'd just have almost everything maxed out.

ShemsuHor

• I don't like the drugs but the drugs like me
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2010, 08:28:23 pm »

Killgore is right. Changing the max amount of skill points won't solve the problem either. There will be more universal alts ;)
Maybe if the client could prevent the player from picking up any object made on a diffrent char but on the same IP?
Dont' hate the game- hate the player..killers
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2010, 08:41:09 pm »

100% skill is terrible, thats like a 70% chance to hit anyone with armour on

And whats bad about having 70%? Not enought like FPS where you point click and hit? Armor class that actually work like it should in mmorpg is bad?

200% and 300% skill is for single player game and should not be avaiable to have such big values of skills in multiplayer.

I dont think he means to leave the stats the same while just reducing the number of  points till its maxed.It would require all the skills to be reworked so that 100% is equal to what 300% is now.It sounds like alot of work and not likely to happen but we can still hope for a change

Yes I think leave it at 100% NOT maxed. 100% is not 300%.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2010, 08:43:41 pm by Frosti »

Pandemon

• The GM-eater
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2010, 08:45:03 pm »

But this will never happen. ;) (legal issues)

It will, when SDK will be released, in a bit different form than you imagine real p2p. Want example? Look at any better OTS (Open Tibia Server).
It looks like that you must "donate" to get better, unique items (in FOnline it can be PA or something worth much and not able to get in other way).

I am 100% that in future at least 1/4 servers will have system like that.

Anyway, back to the topic.
4th tag skill wont solve nothing because it will just allow alts to be more universal and will eventually just decrease amount of them. The only way to delete annoying alting is to make a blockade for IP or hard-ware ID it means on 1 computer there could be only one account, can eventually be done many characters for each account but impossible to login on both in same time.
There is nothing as demotivating as the Game Masters

Pages: [1] 2

Page created in 0.169 seconds with 21 queries.