"Wasteland is harsh"
Home Forum Help Login Register
  • April 28, 2024, 02:34:11 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Play WikiBoy BugTracker Developer's blog
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: PvP in the Glow  (Read 3441 times)

PvP in the Glow
« on: May 14, 2010, 09:13:17 am »

There was the recent topic of adding an unguarded mine at Necropolis, that this would hopefully breath some life into the southern end of the worldmap. Maybe move PvP a little bit farther south.

I figured why not step it up and create the ultimate/hardest version of town control...

The basic idea is to make the glow a "town" that can be controlled. I imagine it would be initiated by talking to ZAX (http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/ZAX_1.2)

The reward can be whatever, random high tier weapons, ammo, crafting good.

But to flesh things out a little bit more, why not make this a little bit more unique? Requiring a little bit more than simply having 3-4 friends gather around you as you talk to one person, and then waiting 30 minutes until you collect your reward.

First off, require specific skills to initiate it. You need someone to go to the bottom floor and use the repair skill to fix the generators.

Activating the generators will revive the various robots, which the players must then fight to reach their other objectives (locked doors which open up upon the power would prevent them from simply camping the necessary spots in advance) The players must go about to various computers on different levels and use science (some will require no science, others might require some science)

There are various traps along the way to each objective, a player can either tank it and hope for the best, or bring along demolition experts who will move about on call.

It culminates with a player playing ZAX in a game of chess (I figure for every 1int you have 10% chance of beating the computer. If you fail you must wait 20 minutes IRL, but other players in your group can give it a shot each)

If you really want to be creative, require the faction to hold this base for a much longer period of time than 30 minutes. Maybe a week? This would be explained as ZAX announcing "I must process and compile our stockpile of items, please return in 1 week" and then shutting down, requiring another groups to start everything up themselves again. If another faction begins taking it then you must reclaim it within 24 hours in order to maintain your own personal countdown. Once any faction has controlled it for 24 hours then the 1 week period resets for everyone else.

Robot NPCs would respawn after a while, but not necessarily right away, if a group responds immediately and manage to gather the manpower/radaway/radX fast enough then they should be rewarded by not having to deal with the hassle of fighting the robots, they just might have to deal with the other players there :D

If you do make it extremely hard then I figure make the reward extremely worth it: 1 Suit of regular Power armor. Or at least a ton of tier3 crafting weapons and ammo. Maybe some unique weapons/ammo that can't be crafted, etc.
Re: PvP in the Glow
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2010, 09:17:20 am »

I figured I would suggest a handful of other idea to encourage life in the far south, all including the glow still. These are completely unrelated to TC glow, so i'll make it a separate post.

Throw in an ammo crafting terminal, medical terminal, etc.

Maybe a place to obtain robot mercs, probably costs something other than caps though (electronic parts, uranium/batteries, and other technologically related items. Possibly simply make it a repeatable quest thats very difficult)

gathering place for junk/chemical components/electronic parts (bonus in the amount you get since you have to brave the radiation possibly?) Maybe just a handful of lockers/bins that generate the items over time similar to the Town Control footlocker, only anyone can grab the stuff at any time

A means for players to become super mutants (It is where the FEV started) :D. I know this is highly unlikely, but the idea of player mutations within the glow is an interesting idea...

« Last Edit: May 14, 2010, 09:19:41 am by Admiral Zombie »

Lordus

• So long and THANKS for all the fish!
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2010, 03:53:30 pm »

Few era before i suggested that there could be a special workbench, where you can craft basic power armor.

BUT, there should be very high radiation (like now)
 Workbench would be at the lowest level
 You will need scientist, repairman, some well armed temates, becase of turrets, very big amount of HQ resources (for 5 upgraded CA) and a lot of anti rad drugs because you will have to stay down for a while
 When you will start the process, ALL players will get information about it (by some radio message on all frequencies).
 There will be always fight against others teams, because they will notice cheap victim.

So long and THANKS for all the fish!

Crazy

• Drugged Childkiller
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2010, 04:53:20 pm »

All of this sounds good, I would love to see this in game, even if I fell it can be hard to be done.
When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk

Member of the Most Hated Faction
TTTLA, for Great Justice !

Pandemon

• The GM-eater
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2010, 05:56:21 pm »

Good idea.
There is nothing as demotivating as the Game Masters

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2010, 06:44:19 pm »

You definately will have to manage more than 2, maybe even 4 spawn points inside it to prevent constant spawn camping. Otherwise, would be nice.
I give a fuck.
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2010, 07:24:36 pm »

I will say this:

While I did suggest the idea of a power armor reward, i'm not so certain about that. I'm personally not too much of a fan of allowing power armor of any kind in the game. Extremely limited supply (once a week that can be easily stopped/contested) is sort of better, I would probably work to sell the power armor myself.

But there are many other options available to give

H&K G11/E
Gauss weaponry
Bozar
Vindicator minigun
Solar Scorcher
Pulse weaponry
And all of the rare ammo associated with this.

Considering it is the glow, the place reportedly to develop a lot of the technology in the fallout world (including power armor and FEV) and considering the difficulty of reaching the glow, and entering the radiation heavy area, it would definitely deserve a good reward.
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2010, 03:18:27 pm »

Oh noez.
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2010, 09:02:12 pm »

I don't really see what you're saying there kilgore, just trying to get +1 post count?

Anyways heres a semi-bump and a addendum

While there are many parts to this idea, the primary idea is simply making the glow a place where you can Town Control. Everything else is optional
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2010, 07:27:36 pm »

Don't you die after like 45 seconds in the glow?

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2010, 07:36:39 pm »

I don't know if they increased the amount of radiation significantly compared to the original, but if its really too much then it can be lowered slightly. Radiation should be something on people's mind whenever they attempt to take the glow, and bring along radaway/radX. As it is now I don't know any use for radX, and it would create a demand for it at the very least.
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2010, 01:24:43 pm »

Don't you die after like 45 seconds in the glow?

Yeah thats why you take rad X + radaway with you
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2010, 07:31:47 pm »

Yeah thats why you take rad X + radaway with you

Seems like a pain in the ass just for pvp.

Crazy

• Drugged Childkiller
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2010, 10:27:10 pm »

Seems like a pain in the ass just for pvp.

It's for hyper high tier weapon too.
When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk

Member of the Most Hated Faction
TTTLA, for Great Justice !
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2010, 11:05:06 pm »

It doesn't have to be "hyper tier" stuff, but i figured that the reward should be extremely valuable considering the hassle of radiation. As it is now how often is radaway used? How often is radX used even? Why bother going to glow except when the game admins are angry with you and simply want to punish you?

Hell simply create a handful of footlockers that constantly spawn items like normal town control footlockers, but make it so anyone can loot them. There can be several spread out through the facility, have robots that spawn and fight people, etc. There are numerous possibilities that would be relatively easy to implement i think, and would give so many more things to do. Maybe open up necropolis to town control
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.111 seconds with 21 queries.