I don't know
- 7 (7.4%)
It does not sound so good
- 7 (7.4%)
No!
- 24 (25.5%)

Total Members Voted: 94

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Author Topic: Combat medic - long range healing!  (Read 24770 times)

Sius

• Sheep EX machina!
Combat medic - long range healing!
« on: May 11, 2010, 09:24:10 pm »

I have to give credit for this to Johnny Nuclear since its his idea and I believe its worth trying. So here we go:

Item description:

Needler Pistol
You suspect this Bringham needler pistol was once used for scientific field studies. It uses small hard-plastic hypodermic darts as ammo.

HN Needler Cartridge
Ammunition. This cartridge appears to be ammo for the HN Needler Pistol. Each 'bullet' is a small hypodermic designed to inject a target with its contents upon impact.

As the ammo description says, needler pistol is basically shooting small hypodermics. The idea is to fill these hypodermics with same content as the regular stimpak has and use the gun to deliver healing shots over long distances. With 4 APs required to shoot at 24 hexes range this could be a way how to introduce medics into the game in both PvP and PvE, since current medic=crafter and its useless character when it comes to combat (I'm not questioning his ability to deal dmg but his ability to support others with his doc/fa skills).

Modified ammunition for needler pistol should have 2 basic types. Regular stimpack ammo and superstimpak ammo. Both ammo types should heal similar amount of HPs such as the healing drugs they are made of but with some changes. Since its used in modified hypodermics, they are smaller and made to travel for long distances so the healing efficiency of healing ammo should be slightly less compared to regular simpak/superstimpak. So if wiki says that stimpak does +40hp and superstimpak +100 then stimpak ammo should heal for 30 and superstimpak ammo for 90. Also healing for 90 HPs with only 4 AP required could be kinda imbalanced so I think using superstimpak ammo should trigger healing cooldown or weakness effect. There are many ways how to make it work.

One way is to make superstimpak ammo to have 1 or 2 min CD every time the shot is fired. Its simple and easy sollution. The other way could be to create cooldown pool (15 minutes maybe). Everytime medic shoot with superstimp ammo, he will get +3 min added to his CD pool but once he reaches 15 min (= 5 shots fired), he will have to wait untill the whole 15 min CD wears off. But if he mannages to keep his CD under 15 minutes, he will be able to shoot superstimpak shots freerly. Also cooldowns should be applied only for superstimpak ammo while regular stimpak ammo remains with no restrictions.

Crafting table

5x  =  1x Metal parts, 5x Stimpak resources or Superstimpak resources and proper tools.

Technical FAQ

Q: How could one ammo type deal damage while other heals?
A: At first I believe that regular HN Needler Cartridge that we are seeing ingame already is not empty. Imho its filled with some kind of a chemical that deals the dmg not the impact itself. Anyway even if I'm wrong on this the gun itself could be modified to decrease the projectile momentum so when it comes to impact the damage to skin is minimal.

Q: How can I effectively heal someone by shooting stimpacks, if I have to bypass his armor?
A: Armors are designed to protect the largest bodyparts well but armors are often weakened at joits, legs, hands etc. So it should be no problem to aim and shoot at the bodypart that is not protected by 3 mm thick metal plates. Only overall armor that could be problem to penetrate and deliver drugs to his wearer is PA armor.

Q: Shooting at legs? Come on you need to carefully inject stimpak or you can do some serious damage to yourself!
A: I think not.

Q: And the aimed shots?
A: Well there is no real need for them and hitting your eye with pretty much anything is nothing pleasant. Anyway they can be used somehow for something in future so you are free to come up with ideas.

Q: +30/+90 HP? Are you insane?! 10 HP per shot tops!
A: Its a matter of balancing how this would reflect (mainly in PvP) but if you take a look at regular combat log then you will find out that the damage goes skyhigh and suggested healing values are reasonable.

Q: What about alting, multilogs and medic abuse in combat?
A: Well when it comes to alting then the risk are the same whenether its SG sniper alt or medic so if one chooses to multilog it does not matter with what character he breaks the rules.

Q: Enough. Lol. Its not real nor fallouty!
A: Not real? Not fallouty?

Summarization

Pros
+ new element in combat (for both PvP and PvE)
+ combat could be more tactical and longer
+ adds field use for medics (right now medic=crafter)
+ potential to use it in other similar ways such as poison darts (used in Fallout Tactics), paralyzing shots...

Cons
- require some work to implement and balance it (such as everything), but still it seems like something rather easy to implement
- not realistic or fallouty for some players

« Last Edit: May 30, 2010, 11:55:12 am by Sius »

LagMaster

• No. 1 Topic Starter
Re: Combat medic - long range healing!
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2010, 10:09:41 pm »

cool

Imprezobus

• Imprezobus here!
    • Forum Los Alamos Warriors
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2010, 10:12:13 pm »

Id love to see this implemented but:
1. 5-10 stimpacks turned into ammo which works like 100 stimpacks. no way, for 100 ammo ya need 100 stims
2. aimed shots...
"you have been critically heald in the eye for 120 hp, knocked down, knocked out and blinded"
Self-proclaimed best guide in the wastes.
http://www.law.netarteria.eu/files/bus.jpg by MACabra, edit by Frozen Mind
Snackish: pks pks pks. Kilgore: BBS is here, town is safe

Sius

• Sheep EX machina!
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2010, 10:25:20 pm »

Id love to see this implemented but:
1. 5-10 stimpacks turned into ammo which works like 100 stimpacks. no way, for 100 ammo ya need 100 stims
2. aimed shots...
"you have been critically heald in the eye for 120 hp, knocked down, knocked out and blinded"

1. true (did not realized that)
2. well eye/head/groin are not the right choice when it comes to stimpack injection area but I was talking more about hands/legs

Imprezobus

• Imprezobus here!
    • Forum Los Alamos Warriors
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2010, 10:52:40 pm »

in fact aimed shots for healin purpose isnt the best idea at all...
but imagine that: supporting your team by spreading steroids/amfethamine via flying needles...
like this aimed could do
"you perfectly injected psycho dose into that guy ass, fuck yea"

also this medic class shouldnt be only capable of healing
second rank of living anathomy should be implemented to make such tricks possible, and with that perk and lots of new needler ammo we could have some fun
paralysing darts... :>
« Last Edit: May 11, 2010, 10:56:28 pm by Imprezobus »
Self-proclaimed best guide in the wastes.
http://www.law.netarteria.eu/files/bus.jpg by MACabra, edit by Frozen Mind
Snackish: pks pks pks. Kilgore: BBS is here, town is safe

Sius

• Sheep EX machina!
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2010, 11:03:27 pm »

There is a great potential in this not only with healing but as you mentioned it could be drug delivery system or also new way how to poison/paralyze players etc.

Johnny Nuclear

• Rotator
  • hrmm
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2010, 11:15:43 pm »

I know im genius  ;D
Rockwell gold card owner.

Lordus

• So long and THANKS for all the fish!
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2010, 05:43:49 am »

I have to say no (-1), because i dont think that this is Fallout compatible idea.

I would like real combat medic class player, but classic one, one hex near his pacient, with doctors bag. (if i somewhere write class, it is only name of role for some player char, dont need to create some class system.. we have current sniper class -  because we created sniper build and we put him sniper rifle into hand, thats all)

Idea of filling bullets with some poison is better IMO (from radscorpion), this will be another element in the game, but 1) poison is too weak 2) no need for poison shells if you will die in 3 bursts by BG or one instakill from sniper.

solution:

Ad 1) poison could be concentrated (scorpions + workbench), so effect will be bigger than normal poison

Ad 2) no way Jose
« Last Edit: May 12, 2010, 05:47:48 am by Lordus »
So long and THANKS for all the fish!

Sius

• Sheep EX machina!
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2010, 10:11:39 am »

Healing at close range will be still the most effective way how to heal people with maximum effect and also doctor can works only at close range. But without range at regular healing the field medic is more or less useless "class". Imagine player with maximum survivability and 300 FA/Doc skill. Once he uses his fa/doc he is useless for next X minutes and all he can do is deliver stimpacks so others around him don't have to spend their APs on it.

But with current instakills nothing can guarantee you that you wont go down the second you get to person that needs healing (if you ever reach him). Because of cooldowns such medic is completely dependent on healing items and if they remain simply HtH feature with absolutely no range, then the healer itself is doomed class. Tell me how many medics have you encountered in PvP? 10 months, 4 season, shitload of battles and I doubt there was anyone who used something like medic class in combat.

But this would bring completely new feature into the game. Ability to heal significantly 5 players (until the CD pool is empty) + low effect healing with no restrictions would definitely make things more about tactics and diversity.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2010, 10:17:54 am by Sius »

Surf

• это моё.
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2010, 10:17:27 am »

I really respect your other suggestions and thoughts about the game Sius...
But, shooting "instant stimpak heal!" via a gun? One doesn't need to be a wise guy to know that this sounds ridicolous, really.  :-\
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2010, 10:22:18 am »

But, shooting "instant stimpak heal!" via a gun? One doesn't need to be a wise guy to know that this sounds ridicolous, really.  :-\

So what? It doesn't have to be 100% 95% related to fallout has it? We can build miniguns out of scrap you know. And the idea isn't bad at all.
just give the person who receives hp a chance for the weakened status, and yes the fun part is. That chance is related to the shooters fa/doc skill.

Sius

• Sheep EX machina!
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2010, 10:28:10 am »

Read the "official" needler gun and ammo description. Technology is already available. And stop thinking about "whats real" and start thinking "whats good for the game". You see in TF they did not give a fuck about gun that shoots healing beams or needles, it was good choice how to create healing class so they did it. Same with space ships that shoot "magical" repairing beams to each other etc. Fantasy games have it easier with this, they just create spells for priests and they are done.

So its not the idea of long range healing (and this is just one example of execution, someone might think of something better) that is ridiculous here but imho the most ridiculous thing is that the medic serves as crafter in this game, nothing more. His Fa/doc skills mean nothing in combat and everyone rellyes on superstimpacks. Closest thing you get to medic in the field is powerbuilder that tagged FA to get it to 120%. But with this, medics could become new factor that can decide the outcome of the battle.  

Surf

• это моё.
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2010, 10:33:41 am »

I know that the needler was purposed as a scientific research item back in time before the war, so no reason to be a smartass. ;)

No, I just mean it would be out of pleace. I mean - "shooting healing"? Stimpaks aren't just insta heal things , one has to look actually at which body part it is injected. Also, really, just imagine this, it's just silly imagining shooting stimpaks over the map. I agree with your main idea in making doctors more useful and total agree with this, but not in making the needler gun a more better thing that it is already.

Gunduz

• [MDK]skankin
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2010, 10:42:29 am »

I think I'm gonna have to go with Sius on this. The description makes it clear that there's a possibility. Another thing is the possibilities this weapon has which aren't limited to medics. I don't see why shooting stimpaks is any more ridiculous than using a tranquilizer gun. The needler pistol opens up poison ammo, healing ammo, and tranquilizers for slavers if there's a way to make this reasonable(Like a 95% fail rate if your enemy isn't in yellow/red hp and a successful hit would be the equivalent of a knockout). I think shooting drugs at people could be cool, but I see it being abused more than anything, like people shooting others with psycho just to try to get them addicted instead of for a battle-oriented purpose.

Sius

• Sheep EX machina!
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2010, 10:45:38 am »

I know that the needler was purposed as a scientific research item back in time before the war, so no reason to be a smartass. ;)

No, I just mean it would be out of pleace. I mean - "shooting healing"? Stimpaks aren't just insta heal things , one has to look actually at which body part it is injected. Also, really, just imagine this, it's just silly imagining shooting stimpaks over the map. I agree with your main idea in making doctors more useful and total agree with this, but not in making the needler gun a more better thing that it is already.

1st of all I was pointing out that the technology is already there and its no voodoo but its something "real" for Fallout universum. Just compare any energy pistol/rifle with this idea. What seems more crazy: the weapon that can deliver drugs inside small hypodermic or weapon that can fire red laser projectile or create and shoot plasma? So don't bring the ridiculous or not real arguments here, since compared to other FOnline and Fallout gadgets they fail more than this.

2nd I think leg can be the ultimate injection area but anything should do the job (except those aimed shots to head/eyes/groin). I wonder why somebody did not bring the armor argument where they will try to shus this idea because projectile would not penetrate armors such as PA/CA/Metal etc... Again "game>reality" and that should be always the aim, not vice versa.

3rd needler gun is useless. Its good for killing molerats but thats about it. + using the gun for healing purposes would be available ONLY FOR MEDICS. People without profession/skills would fail using it. Its protective measure so we wont see sniper powerbuilds that switch to needler to heal his BG friend. It should be restriced only for those who role medics.

I think shooting drugs at people could be cool, but I see it being abused more than anything, like people shooting others with psycho just to try to get them addicted instead of for a battle-oriented purpose.

Thats why I stick to stimpacks only in my idea. Anything else like poison, paralyzing stuff, drugs and so on is just an extra thought. Anyway afaik others can't drug you with negative drugs like jet/psycho etc...
« Last Edit: May 12, 2010, 10:51:44 am by Sius »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Page created in 0.079 seconds with 24 queries.