"Wasteland is harsh"
Home Forum Help Login Register
  • April 28, 2024, 02:16:00 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Play WikiBoy BugTracker Developer's blog
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Make merchants unkillable  (Read 6811 times)

Aricvomit

• Prepare for bowel disruption
Make merchants unkillable
« on: May 09, 2010, 12:38:14 am »

This is a pretty simple suggestion, make merchants unkillable. killing merchants serves no purpose beyond pure dickery and douchebagerry. and to all the people that are gonna defend being able to kill merchants i just ask what is the point?
plasma nade your face off!
Re: Make merchants unkillable
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2010, 12:50:34 am »

Agreed, it just stop players from being able to trade.

vedaras

• King of the wasteland
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2010, 01:46:50 am »

I dont like the suggestion, douchebaggery is part of this game and the game is more interesting  because of it. And there are no irreplaceable mercs, just go to the one in another town :>

Surf

• это моё.
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2010, 01:53:26 am »

I wouldn't say unkillable, but (as most of them are) unlootable. All NPC's should be unlootable, so that Caravan farming, or even quest giver-farming will stop.

Crazy

• Drugged Childkiller
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2010, 01:59:22 am »

I wouldn't say unkillable, but (as most of them are) unlootable. All NPC's should be unlootable, so that Caravan farming, or even quest giver-farming will stop.

Farming is the very last way to obtain something or make caps with fun (I had very good moments with farm in group). It would be very very bad if that totally disappear, since it's already nerf by pool encounter and karma.
Not everyone love crafting.
When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk

Member of the Most Hated Faction
TTTLA, for Great Justice !

Surf

• это моё.
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2010, 02:05:35 am »

Not everyone love crafting.

But this, + barter system is the way to go. Devs want to create a player driven economy and no encounters to be farmed over and over again to gain a bit of equipment.
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2010, 02:17:07 am »

You can't take farming out of an mmo, it's what people like to do. Crafting is boring as hell and requires an alt to do efficiently, and due to the current system is pretty much necessary.

Surf

• это моё.
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2010, 02:25:51 am »

and due to the current system is pretty much necessary.

I never killed a caravan guy/gal and still was able to fight or arm myself, with stuff which I or a gang member produced.
Farming is just quicker, people want the best stuff, as quick and as easy as they can.

Aricvomit

• Prepare for bowel disruption
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2010, 02:33:40 am »

Ok since people dont seem to get the idea heres the issue, killing a merchant serves NO purpose and if your only doing it to be a dick then you honestly shouldnt be playing the game, go maim puppies or do whatever it is sadistic people do. and another thing douchebaggery isnt a part of the game, its the people.
if the devs intended for you to go around slaughtering quest npc's and merchants then why not have them drop rewards? hint hint, because its not intended.
the game is an unfinished beta and since this is the case many things that should be in place to protect the economy and gameplay arent in place, a game with no rules isnt a game, its life, if you go around fucking with people in real life like that there are consequences and repercussions, unfortunately people can get away with just about anything without having a shitstorm rain down upon them.
basically having killable merchants gives griefers a chance to basically tank the player crafting economy (which doesent affect them in the slightest becuase they're either 1chr pvp builds or suicide bombers) so they dont give a shit.
the easiest fix for this is to make merchants unkillable, since they happen to be pretty much the sole source of caps in game it doesent make sense to let them just die and have their inventory deleted, that destroys the economy,
take a lesson from the banking system of the real world, in almost every case what a bank robber stole was less then the cost of what it took to catch him, so in actuallity you arent protecting the goods so much as the system, because once the system fails other things will start to fail along with it.

I dont like the suggestion, douchebaggery is part of this game and the game is more interesting  because of it. And there are no irreplaceable mercs, just go to the one in another town :>

oh and the game isnt made more interesting by people abusing things to grief other players and if thats honestly what you think i believe you may need to see a therapist.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2010, 02:40:05 am by Aricvomit »
plasma nade your face off!
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2010, 03:01:57 am »

Let's make it just like every other MMO, filled with invisible walls and invulnerable entities, etc.

I wish there were bags, backpacks, etc. in Fonline.

Crazy

• Drugged Childkiller
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2010, 03:28:54 am »

But this, + barter system is the way to go. Devs want to create a player driven economy and no encounters to be farmed over and over again to gain a bit of equipment.

I know some guys (the Orphans) who try to craft to make trade. They have almost give up because they have to mine and craft like an industry during 90% of their time, to have a 10 min contact with an other player who gonna give them few caps.
If you want that people trade, increase x10 the amount produced for the same gathering/timeouts, and finally, player will produce more than just they need themself and finally have something to trade without spending his life on crafting (and if you help the specialization foe by add lvl 15 requirement for the 3rd profession lvl, someone who produce only armors but enough for him AND to trade for the rest of what he need.)
And anyway, actually, farm don't allow you to obtain any high tier stuff in sufficient amount/rentability.
When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk

Member of the Most Hated Faction
TTTLA, for Great Justice !

solid snake

• Got a smoke?
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2010, 04:15:22 am »

the easiest fix for this is to make merchants unkillable, since they happen to be pretty much the sole source of caps in game it doesent make sense to let them just die and have their inventory deleted, that destroys the economy,
take a lesson from the banking system of the real world, in almost every case what a bank robber stole was less then the cost of what it took to catch him, so in actuallity you arent protecting the goods so much as the system, because once the system fails other things will start to fail along with it.

it indeed does destroy the economy.
they spend more resources to catch the bank robber than what the robber stole to create state control and to drive fear in all who want to rob banks. they want everyone to think you will get caught. you will never really hear of people that actually get away with robbing a bank due to this state control. if everyone robbed banks where would the economy be???
in this game we can't really have fear being driven into players. because when your rep is fucked or you die or are jailed, you respawn or create a new character. +1 to this suggestion.
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2010, 04:16:50 am »

This is a pretty simple suggestion, make players unkillable. killing players serves no purpose beyond pure dickery and douchebagerry. and to all the people that are gonna defend being able to kill players i just ask what is the point?
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2010, 05:50:12 am »

I know some guys (the Orphans) who try to craft to make trade. They have almost give up because they have to mine and craft like an industry during 90% of their time, to have a 10 min contact with an other player who gonna give them few caps.
If you want that people trade, increase x10 the amount produced for the same gathering/timeouts, and finally, player will produce more than just they need themself and finally have something to trade without spending his life on crafting (and if you help the specialization foe by add lvl 15 requirement for the 3rd profession lvl, someone who produce only armors but enough for him AND to trade for the rest of what he need.)
And anyway, actually, farm don't allow you to obtain any high tier stuff in sufficient amount/rentability.

I know this game isn't intended to be very realistic, but theme park "You must be this tall to ride the X" requirements are just too much.

Also, items are supposed to be rare and difficult to obtain: it's a wasteland.

A supply/demand modeling system would be nice.
I wish there were bags, backpacks, etc. in Fonline.
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2010, 08:29:15 am »

This is a pretty simple suggestion, make players unkillable. killing players serves no purpose beyond pure dickery and douchebagerry. and to all the people that are gonna defend being able to kill players i just ask what is the point?

the point behind killing players is pvp and loot, comparing killing merchants for no reward beyond griefing players is dickery, pure and simple. seriously there is no good defense for this, your comparing apples and elephants.
Pages: [1] 2

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 21 queries.