Poll

Good?

Yay!
- 4 (66.7%)
Nay :(
- 2 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Objective oriented weapon balance  (Read 2133 times)

Nice_Boat

• I shot a man in Reno just to watch him die.
Objective oriented weapon balance
« on: May 08, 2010, 08:30:45 am »

Since devs seem to balance weapons more or less at random, here's an idea. Make your balancing goals objective based. Here are some examples:

Minigun - mid tier, 2 bursts mid-range to kill a powerbuild in leather/metal mk1
Avenger Minigun - top tier, 2 bursts mid-range to kill a powerbuild in metal mk2/combat, BA/ca mk2 kill when lucky - if not 3 bursts
Plasma Grenade - mid tier, close combat - depending on the way sneak is either something that kills no matter what or who on full AP attack with knockdown or something that kills no matter what or who on full AP attack with a possibility of escaping
Molotov - utility weapon for killing shit prone to fire more efficiently than frag/plasma
Flamer - another utility weapon

... etc. I bet you get the drift. Moreover, make the goals open source to get quality feedback from advanced players as far as balance goes and from everyone else as far as fun factor goes.

The rationale for this suggestion is the fact that most changes to weapon balance seem to be based on theorycraft that honestly is far removed from reality. Or I'm just delusional and you've all thought about the issue this way - if so, let's discuss how do we want each weapon to behave in descriptive terms instead of "nerf" or "buff".
« Last Edit: May 08, 2010, 08:38:19 am by Nice_Boat »

Sanya

• Tribal leader of your heart.
    • My Steam profile
Re: Objective oriented weapon balance
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2010, 08:46:28 am »

Unarmed - high tier, sniper weapon/skill exclusively for TankGavin to hay-maker you from atleast 40 hexes across a map for instant kill. Cost of -1 AP with glitched fast-shot and BRoF (even though there is no such bug).
I wanted all things
To seem to make some sense,
So we could all be happy, yes,
Instead of tense.
And I made up lies
So that they all fit nice,
And I made this sad world
A par-a-dise.

Nice_Boat

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2010, 09:08:55 am »

This actually is a serious thread. Remember the SG crit nerf? Remember the SG crit buff? Shit wouldn't happen if we actually knew what sniper rifle is supposed to do. And honestly, Solar is not going to calculate how fast Kilgore is in blowing Red Dot's head off (if you're a Red Dot member just reverse this example, I don't want to have this thread devolving into a flamewar), so it doesn't come down to numbers in the end. Oh, and we could have meaningful conversation about weapon balance for once.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2010, 09:20:40 am by Nice_Boat »

Sius

• Sheep EX machina!
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2010, 09:54:20 am »

Well weapons are only one side of the coin. Instead of working with them I would rather see some changes on characters and their special/skils/perks/abilities then just play around with current weaponry. Anyway sooner or later it will have to happen and guns will have to undergo some serious changes. But I'm afraid that this will not happen without devs/admins and even if you create ultimate list of changes that could improve things, they will simply ignore it.
But I wish you luck and I hope this thread could do some good cause changes are needed.
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2010, 11:24:31 am »

Lordus already suggesting it in his "pvp balancing" topic. there is nice graf from Vedaras (first and last good post of him?.) with dmg/range of weapon classes. this is imo good way to go.

heres the link: http://fodev.net/forum/index.php?topic=4257.30
Rockwell weapons user

Sarakin

• Zmikundik
    • Vault šílené brahmíny
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2010, 01:17:59 pm »

Im strictly against your plasma grenades suggestion. Even now its not easy to fight plasma grenade sneaker, but with you suggestion applied, anyone with decent throwing could hide somewhere with no armor and several plasma nades and pwn a guy in ba ca and avenger.
The sanctity of this forum has been fouled

[19:41:06] <@JovankaB> einstein said we dont need name colorizing

Nice_Boat

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2010, 03:40:33 pm »

Sarakin - it's just something I say. An example. It's not related to this suggestion.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.083 seconds with 24 queries.