"Wasteland is harsh"
Home Forum Help Login Register
  • April 27, 2024, 07:59:19 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Play WikiBoy BugTracker Developer's blog
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: PvP balancing, part 0., part 1., PvP Constitution  (Read 7546 times)

Lordus

• So long and THANKS for all the fish!
PvP balancing, part 0., part 1., PvP Constitution
« on: April 29, 2010, 06:13:28 pm »

Introduction:

As a player with combat experiences from the beginning of the open beta, i think, that combat needs improvement in some ways. The main problem i see, is balance of current "fighter classes", respectively consequences of multiplayer unbalancing of naturaly singleplayer game. It leads to situation, where exist only 2 PvP usable figher classes and only minority of existing weapons are useful in PvP.

Many ideas were written, many responses too, but there was almost zero output. So i dont want to make only suggestion with another ideas, but whole process with many succesive stages. This will allow to involve many players, their own ideas, also response from community and i hope, from developers. Developers, can, naturaly, but i hope, that they will, watch this process, enter into discussion and at least, give us feedback of possibility of game implementation of our suggested changes.

The result of this process is not only one or two particular ideas, but whole view on the future PvP image and playstyle, with background of many supporting players across Fonline community. So the result of this process cant be basicly implemented in this era, aim is next era. But this should not be barrier for testing of our concrete ideas in Fonline engine this era.

P.S.:
1) I think that until devs and core players will make meeting in some pub in the middle of Europe, this forum and this process is most "democratic" way how to involve players and get response from them. This is beta. Beta means at least little responsibility. Nothing hard, only to tune this forum and read some text, maybe add their comment. If players will not be satisfied, but they will not read this official forum, it is their fault. They will have plenty time to react here. I am little disapointed that many players dont want to add their constructive ideas here. Maybe it is because this stage is very abstract, maybe because they dont care.. But if i compare it to other, very concrete threads, this thread looks abadoned :) But maybe it is better for "constructive ideas creators".

2) I know that there is no duty to realize the results of this process. This is project of devs. But they named it open beta test, so they want respons and new ideas. If they want to make entertaining game, they have no other choice.

3) I am little disapointed, that my old teamates but also old enemie does not care about this project. I heard them every day (on Mumble) complaining about some game mechanism, that is not perfect (not just because we lost in combat, we never lose :) ), and they have no time to put their ideas here.

Boys (girls), until you will fuck Cvet/Lexx/Ghosthack's and other devs sisters (brothers), this is the far best chance how to change something.

The process will have this major stages:

Stage 0) Ideas about process itself, not about the PvP

Stage 1) PvP Constitution - the major ideas, ideas standing over ideas, the basic principles. Supportive question is: "What kind of PvP in fonline we would like to have?"

Stage 2) Ideas concretization - the measures, concrete ideas, changes,.. Supportive question is: "How can we realize the PvP Constitution ideas?" Proposals at stage 2 must be compatible with PvP constitution ideas.

Stage 3) Integrated players idea lists - every player/developer involved into this process could post his own list of changes, compatible with result of stage 1 and stage 2

Stage 4) The winner player list minor changes

Stage 5) Result of process. PvP fonline community integrated ideas suggestion to our mighty, powerfull, almost with god's power disposing developers

Note 1.: After every stage, there should be a vote about stage content. Not every time obligatory (in early stages - democracy has own limits), but we will try to listen to the vote result.
 Note 2.: If you dont want to be construtive, please, leave this topic or at least, dont spamm nonseses. You will still have possobility to vote after every stage. Thank you Vedaras :) (actualy, you are welcome).
-------------------------------------
Stage 0) If you have any ideas about this process, put it in your post like i did right now

Stage 1) PvP balancing, part 1. PvP Constitution

We need basic principles, so write your ideas. If there is opposite idea to yours, now problem, put your too. After we will collect as many ideas as we can, we will, reduce them by eliminating similar ideas, more concrete ideas, ... and we will post the list of them. Then we can make vote. The idea should be abstract, have a form of question, or answer, we will transfor im to right form in right time (i.e.: i want longer fights, should fights be longer or quicker?, i dont want to die soon is = this is the same abstract idea, about duration of combat).

List of basic ideas:
 * Should we create multiplayer PvP system or not?
 * Should we balance the current system or desing new (balanced) one?
 * Should fights be longer, or quicker?
 * Should there exist balance over the weapons or some of them will be better with all (most) of their aspects than others?
 * Should economy balance the weapons or not.
 * Should there exist a at least 2 kinds of guns in every weapon skill usable in PvP or not?
 * Should the future pvp be balanced for "everybody", not just pvp builds?
 * Should the result of PvP combat depends on the player skill or avatar skill (stats)?
 * Should there exist variety in combat or not?
 * Should there exist at least little similarity between real world and game world? ***
 * Should we design this system to realtime combat?
 * Should there exist a turn based combat?
 *** I.e.: if you have pistol, short barreled gun, you expect that the gun will not fire to longer distance than rifle, long barreled gun. Or at night, you perception will be reduced than in day time.
---------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PvP  constitution:
1) Fonline should be a multiplayer game.

2) We should create new PvP system (but use current SPECIAL, guns 3D models, enviroment,...). Because we want to make system, that should not be hard to realize. Only few changes (trait, or some minor perk) should be allowed.

3) The fights should be longer than now. Not quicker but also not neverending story.

4) The combat should be more tactical.

5) There should exist various combat. This will allow to create combat more tactical.

6) There should exist balance. Now, we have various combat classes, weapons.. but without balance, combat is not as much tactical, as it can be.

Requirements of tactical combats, various combat and balance results into this:

a) characters - There should not exist universal soldier class at one side (one char can use sniper riffles and minigun too), and also, there should not exist reduction like this one char = only one weapon = only one fight style. I know that you cant change your char stat and "purpose" (big gun, sg, ew) of your char if you reach level 21, but you can use various weapons

b) weapons - almost every combat char (at level 21), should be able to use more than one weapon with very different kind of effect, that will allow you to choose your fight style. Also most of weapons should have ability to choose at least 2 kinds of their fire ability (single shot, burst,..)

c) fight style - the result of combat should not depend on your character stats, but it should depend on your fight style. Even if enemy has bigger firepower, you should be able to defeat him, if you use your merits and enemy disadvatages

7) The economy. Time the player spend in game.
  a) Economy benefits. Benefits from player ingame wealth, plurality of resources, should mean that player has bigger variety of choices, not that he has possibility to get more powerfull gun (in all or major attributes).

b) Economy (the weapons, ammo price, avaiability (of professions/weapons/classes) should be balanced at the end of balance process.

8 ) Everybody, not only power builds, should be able to join PvP combat.

a) Everybody is wide term, in my point of view, it is somebody who has enough hit points, chars skill to use weapon's best effect and brain to use player fight style and maximalize the effect of this gun. Everybody is not nolifers only.

b) This has also economy effect. Not only the expensives weapons and armors should be the neccesary items to join PvP and win. (point 8a)

9) There should exist at least little similarity between game world and real world.
   I.e.: if you have pistol, short barreled gun, you expect that the gun will not fire to longer distance than rifle, long barreled gun. Or at night, you perception will be reduced than in day time.

10) We should balance 3 firearms classes and melee and unarmed class together, or at least, we should find the role for melee and unarmed.

11) We should focus on realtime combat, not turn based.

Turnbased is part of the game, we would not disable it, but it is not priority for us. So we will focus our attention to realtime only, if there will be any negative side effect in turnbased PvP, we dont care, but we dont want to intentionaly destroy the TB. Turnbased is good mostly for PvE. We are unable to fix turnbased too.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Link for voting: http://fodev.net/forum/index.php?topic=4257.0
« Last Edit: May 01, 2010, 07:58:12 pm by Lordus »
So long and THANKS for all the fish!

avv

Re: PvP balancing, part 0., part 1., PvP Constitution
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2010, 06:40:03 pm »

Let's keep this polite and uh... profesional. Also remain in topic.

Nothing to disasgree with the process itself. Only sidenote is that voting will probably be problematic, not to mention getting enough people involved and stay on subject.

Should we balance the current system or desing new one?

We're talking long term here. So why not design a new one. The current is pretty broken and lacks enough variables, tools and toys to play with.

* Should fights be longer, or quicker?

Longer but not in the way that 2 people spend 2 minutes standing next to each other shooting 2 damage shots.

* Should there exist balance over the weapons or some of them will be better with all (most) of their aspects than others?

Right now there is a certain balance: bigger damage equals bigger price. But guns have to have roles, otherwise we don't have enough tactical possibilities.

* Should economy balance the weapons or not.

Not only economy, because it could mean that richer player is always more powerful than skilled player. Players who play 24/7 are naturally more richer ingame than players who play 2h/d. Skill should be the ultimate judge when it comes to pvp.-

* Should there exist a at least 2 kinds of guns in every weapon skill usable in PvP or not?

I'd go for reducing the weapon skills themselves. For example energy weapons and big guns have much less variety than small guns. If we want to reach the same level of variety, it requires many new guns in EW and BG categories.

I've got something to point out too: the future pvp should be balanced for everybody, not just pvp builds. Every build should be allowed to be able to grab a gun and head to the front without sucking completely because. One important factor should be that skills, perks and stats only determine what you can do, not how effectively you can do. So strong man prefers big guns because he can use them, but it doesn't mean that he always has 95% accuracy with them in every situation.
Otherwise we just continue the era of alts and powerbuilds and that's no way to a good and respected mmo. I wish this could be pretty obvious to everybody or we're going to have to discuss the alt/powerbuild issue again.

Based on evidence collected from various sources by trustworthy attendees it is undisputed veritability that the land ravaged by atomic warfare which caused extreme change of the ecosystem and environmental hazards can be considered unpleasant, rugged and unforgiving.
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2010, 07:43:19 pm »

I'm afraid you are wrong avv, a game that makes use of stats that can be chosen by the player will always lead to powerbuilds, even if you put caps then you have to take into account perks and that there are so many perks that are just not good for pvp.

avv

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2010, 09:41:55 pm »

I'm afraid you are wrong avv, a game that makes use of stats that can be chosen by the player will always lead to powerbuilds, even if you put caps then you have to take into account perks and that there are so many perks that are just not good for pvp.

What I'm talking about is to reduce the effects of passive features like character build on player's success and move more potential to player's skill to use differend game mechanics. Powebuilds will always exists, but they don't have to be omnipotent at what they are doing just because somebody made so good char.

Right now the game lacks tools and strategic components to be used for player's advantage. Too much is reliant on player's character. Your chance to hit depends on you weapon skill. Your damage depends on your weapon and perks. Your resistance depends on your armor, perks and stats. Your ability to dodge depends on your ac, but that's basically non existing. Only thing remaining how you can get the best of your enemy is movement and positioning. Your character does everything else for you. Because character build decides so many factors, a better char wins very likely when encountering a weaker char, even if the weaker char happens to have better positioning. When two equally skilled players meet, the one with better char automatically wins. Passive features being dominant is bad game design, kills creativity and strategy and encourages grind.

To change this, chars must have less hitpoints, damage output, accuracy and resistances but receive bonuses to all of them when player uses various features for his advantage. For this we need more active factors. For example enviroment, movement and fields of view are good sources to create active factors from. You can increase your ac by standing behind a window or barrel or by running. You can increase your accuracy by spending action points to aim an enemy, or deploy an overwach field in front of you. You can increase your damage by choosing the right weapon and ammo for right situation. Quick weapon switching might be necessary when situations change.
Based on evidence collected from various sources by trustworthy attendees it is undisputed veritability that the land ravaged by atomic warfare which caused extreme change of the ecosystem and environmental hazards can be considered unpleasant, rugged and unforgiving.

Surf

• это моё.
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2010, 12:06:34 am »

Good idea lordus, and also avv.
To all others - make yourself an example of those both and try to argue without any flames and use valid criticsm.
This thread could be really good, so I don't want to see any spam in here.

vedaras

• King of the wasteland
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2010, 12:28:37 am »

in my opinion most people play this game because they like it no matter their shitloads of whining and complains. So if im right, we cant just destroy the system, if you want that wait for cvet TLA sdk files release this year and then create your game filling all your ideas :>

For now this game is still in developing stage, so improving in everything not remaking is needed. Its difficult to do that once most players are willing to ask devs increase strenght in the way they like to play instead of increasing/changing their gameplay to be stronger.

Sius

• Sheep EX machina!
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2010, 08:59:06 am »

in my opinion most people play this game because they like it no matter their shitloads of whining and complains. So if im right, we cant just destroy the system, if you want that wait for cvet TLA sdk files release this year and then create your game filling all your ideas :>

For now this game is still in developing stage, so improving in everything not remaking is needed. Its difficult to do that once most players are willing to ask devs increase strenght in the way they like to play instead of increasing/changing their gameplay to be stronger.

I see you did not get the point here. No its not trolling but simple fact. FOnline needs shitload of radical changes if it ever wants to be balanced since current system is designed for single player but it does not work in MMO. As it was said in topic in my signature current 7/5 step char development can't satisfy anyone. Same goes for PvP/PvE that are kinda flat compared to any other game (not in matter of content but in possibilities that used mechanics offer). Just try to imagine some PvE dungeon. Lets say toxic caves from F2. How should it be designed? Only get in, kill everything in your path, get out? No real need for medic/1st line "tank"/engineer/support dps etc? Just take some 3-4 maniacs with enough ammo and lets rock? Sorry but I believe that FOnline can offer much more than that.

avv

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2010, 04:37:45 pm »

i'd also vote for real time only. However it should be less hectic, more strategic so that it's not crawl but slow enough that you can coordinate with your teammates even when shit hits the fan. Heh, why not add some quickmessages like "retreat" "attack" "wait" "medic". People will script them anyway.

gordulan

• General Animosity
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2010, 07:04:10 pm »

i can voicemodel for it  :D

http://tf-2.fr/ach.php?a=Bend Over, Boyo II&b=Shoot 150 people as they are running away from you... In the arse&c=56&d=150&e=1703&f=1

Florek

• Bang Bang Smash
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2010, 07:14:23 pm »

I like some of your ideas Lordus, I hope to see each tier weapons usable (one more one less, but almost all - usable). ;)
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2010, 12:10:15 am »

i like the pvp system lol i get my ass kicked everytime but its still fun
Owner of FOnline 2258! A true Fallout inspired adventure!
http://bit.ly/3syLeTp
http://www.fonline2258.com

Drakonis

• Oh oh this is furtile...
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2010, 02:23:14 pm »

Armors need to be enchanced. killing someone in 1-2 hits shoudl be possible only if he is not wearing any armor. Increase armor strenght so the fights lasts longer and are not just a who shots first/bypass armor fest. While making fights last longer= ammo should weight less and be cheaper and easier to make

also i vote for disabled turn based. or creating full TB/ RT SEPARATE servers.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2010, 02:25:03 pm by Drakonis »
"But... Isn't Betty a womans name...?"
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2010, 02:39:04 pm »

Armors need to be enchanced. killing someone in 1-2 hits shoudl be possible only if he is not wearing any armor. Increase armor strenght so the fights lasts longer and are not just a who shots first/bypass armor fest. While making fights last longer= ammo should weight less and be cheaper and easier to make

also i vote for disabled turn based. or creating full TB/ RT SEPARATE servers.
''Separate servers for...''
Have you ever noticed how many people play and are simulanteously online? 200 to 400. More servers? For splitting the community into different servers? Damn, i already want 2238 server have 600 people online, i rarely meet someone in places aside PvP (and all of them are known) and NCR (and thoes guys never leave NCR, cause ''wasteland iz harzh''). Also, separate servers just for combat mode? You could aswell make another server just for the heck of it...
Only-RT server wouldnt be that good, and only TB server would be fail for sanity, time and humanity.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2010, 02:40:44 pm by Quentin Lang »
I give a fuck.

Lordus

• So long and THANKS for all the fish!
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2010, 04:06:01 pm »

I tried to reduce the ideas into one complex list. If you want to add something, if you have any notes or you disagree with the list, now is your turn. After this sub stage (suggestions to the final view of basic ideas list) we can make a vote.

IMO:

2) We should create new PvP system (but use current SPECIAL, guns 3D models, enviroment,...). Because we want to make system, that should not be hard to realize. Only few changes (trait, or some minor perk) should be allowed.

3) The fights should be longer than now. Not quicker but also not neverending story.

5) There should exist various combat. This will allow to create combat more tactical.

6) There should exist balance. Now, we have various combat classes, weapons.. but without balance, combat is not as much tactical, as it can be.

IMO, in requirements of tactical combats, various combat and balance results into this:

a) characters - There should not exist universal soldier class at one side (one char can use sniper riffles and minigun too), and also, there should not exist reduction like this one char = only one weapon = only one fight style. I know that you cant change your char stat and "purpose" (big gun, sg, ew) of your char if you reach level 21, but you can use various weapons

b) weapons - almost every combat char (at level 21), should be able to use more than one weapon with very different kind of effect, that will allow you to choose your fight style. Also most of weapons should have ability to choose at least 2 kinds of their fire ability (single shot, burst,..)

c) fight style - the result of combat should not depend on your character stats, but it should depend on your fight style. Even if enemy has bigger firepower, you should be able to defeat him, if you use your merits and enemy disadvatages

a) Economy benefits. Benefits from player ingame wealth, plurality of resources, should mean that player has bigger variety of choices, not that he has possibility to get more powerfull gun (in all or major attributes).

b) Economy (the weapons, ammo price, avaiability (of professions/weapons/classes) should be balanced at the end of balance process.

a) Everybody is wide term, in my point of view, it is somebody who has enough hit points, chars skill to use weapon's best effect and brain to use player fight style and maximalize the effect of this gun. Everybody is not nolifers only.

b) This has also economy effect. Not only the expensives weapons and armors should be the neccesary items to join PvP and win. (point 8a)

9) There should exist at least little similarity between game world and real world.
   I.e.: if you have pistol, short barreled gun, you expect that the gun will not fire to longer distance than rifle, long barreled gun. Or at night, you perception will be reduced than in day time.

10) We are unable to balance 3 firearms classes and melee and unarmed class together. Lets focus on firearms and throwing.

IMO turnbased is part of the game, i would not disable it, but i dont like it (you know, neverending combats, 4 hours long, when only player with no life wins). So we will focus or attention to realtime only, if there will be any negative side effect on turnbased PvP, we dont care. Turnbased is good mostly for PvE. We are unable to fix turnbased too.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2010, 04:10:19 pm by Lordus »
So long and THANKS for all the fish!

Drakonis

• Oh oh this is furtile...
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2010, 04:24:07 pm »

I tried to reduce the ideas into one complex list. If you want to add something, if you have any notes or you disagree with the list, now is your turn. After this sub stage (suggestions to the final view of basic ideas list) we can make a vote.

IMO:

IMO, in requirements of tactical combats, various combat and balance results into this:

10) We are unable to balance 3 firearms classes and melee and unarmed class together. Lets focus on firearms and throwing.

IMO turnbased is part of the game, i would not disable it, but i dont like it (you know, neverending combats, 4 hours long, when only player with no life wins). So we will focus or attention to realtime only, if there will be any negative side effect on turnbased PvP, we dont care. Turnbased is good mostly for PvE. We are unable to fix turnbased too.

Only way to make it possible is to rework leveling/advancement system completly. Skill % should raise within skill usage.
You fire up some mantis with flamer? your bigguns will slighty advance.
After that you decide to switch back to your favourite(tagged) kind of weapons which is small guns and shot some mantis with a .223 pistol? Your small guns exp will raise(but better than in case of bigguns, since it was not your tagged skills).
After that you notice you are wounded because 1 of the mantis hve bitten you in your middle finger so you First Aid yourself. Your FA exp raise a bit(since its non tagged).
Oh look your weapon detoriated during the fight: you repair them and get some repair descent repair exp since it's your tagged skill.
(I allready suggested it somehere. also there should be % limit for tagged: 300% and for non tagged: 150% MAX. Of course reaching MAX in ANY skill should take WEEKS OF REAL TIME INGAME PLAYING. Imagine 2238 liveliness with such system oh btw. alts would be gone.)

Perk could be gained from quests that you meet requirements to make. Perks should be nerfed a lot(some) since it's just passive way to make a good character/
Overall lvl could stay and raise HP with each level. but still NOT MUCH. diffrence between a starting character HP and a END GAME character HP should be NOT THAT BIG: the biggest diffrence in how many hits you can survive should depend on your armor.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2010, 04:28:50 pm by Drakonis »
"But... Isn't Betty a womans name...?"
Pages: [1] 2

Page created in 0.1 seconds with 21 queries.