"Wasteland is harsh"
Home Forum Help Login Register
  • April 27, 2024, 05:13:40 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Play WikiBoy BugTracker Developer's blog
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Town Control [ discussion + sugestions ]  (Read 8546 times)

maszrum

• Soldiers of Thunderstorm
Town Control [ discussion + sugestions ]
« on: April 22, 2010, 02:55:36 pm »

i hope that someone will understand it, because  do not speak too much english ;)

as we all know, the current control system of cities is far from perfection
needs a few changes and improvements, even ncr bluesuits would agree with me - thats why i decided to start this topic

i will tell you first how that looks form my side
probably the main assumption of new TC was long term control, ok that works for first 2-3 weeks, Rogues controled BrokenHills for longer then 1 week, we started really protect that city, making own rules, some quests for begginers, planing some projects and other shit.. after that other gangs decided to create alliance against rogues and our friendly gangs and start this same shit again - ok i understand that and sound fair to me

at this time we are able to protect brokenhills for all day long, even with this nerfed militia (80-90hp) and for what ? after then we goes sleep , canadian cajuns or other crews can easly kill our militia and retake city without any problems.. even with 3 people , becouse militas AI really sucks :) - i know that works on both sides, sometimes we have some night players and they can do same thing to cajuns.

another problem is taking cities by bluesuits and runing away, i know militia should blocking that action but 2-3 bluesutis with huntng rifles are able to kill 15 miltians atm

so we have here 3 major problems :
- weak militia
- night capturing cities, when other players sleeps
- bluesuit city takers

solution ? time control window again ? form 11am to 2am ? ( sorry but 90% of guys  who playing TC are form europe time zones )
like NightBird sugested before - some kind of gear check can works against bluesuit taker

aa im almos forget about small sugestions:

- Radio SOS signal from millitians when they are underattack
- Karma for Militia
- Option for adding more expensive and effective miltians
- information wich gang taking city atm - letters should be smaller, maybe in left top corner ?
- seting militians some modes, rules, like doing nothing, KOS enemies of faction ,  kepping city safe
- (PUT THE GUN DOWN! - they will just yell for everyone who have gun in city

ok we playing together in this game, lets find together some solution to improve TC system.. let us discuss, hello -- cajuns, reddots, desertalliance, vsb, bbs

damn i really sucks with english, anyway i wil ltry write more later

« Last Edit: April 22, 2010, 03:06:54 pm by maszrum »

avv

Re: Town Control [ discussion + sugestions ]
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2010, 04:01:17 pm »

night capturing cities, when other players sleeps

Bad feature, must be dealt with. Anything that encourages playing when others aren't playing is horrible game mechanic. Simpliest way would be just adding capping times like you said. Honestly this is pretty hard feature to be fixed in reasonable way.

- bluesuit city takers[/i]

Force the players to fight a king of the hill combat for 20 mins. Every 5 mins they have to face a wave of militia. They must all stay within certain area, like next to some monument, a flag or inside a buildng. Some of the cappers may die, but they aren't allowed to leave the area.
Based on evidence collected from various sources by trustworthy attendees it is undisputed veritability that the land ravaged by atomic warfare which caused extreme change of the ecosystem and environmental hazards can be considered unpleasant, rugged and unforgiving.

jodwig

• I'm not always right, but I'm never wrong either
    • After War Mod
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2010, 04:24:24 pm »

After taking town you should have some blockage from taking it back for like 24 hours. What do you have from taking town. if someone can take the town few seconds after the timer expires... And controlling town all the time forces people to play 24/7 what is impossible. I like the feature with "taking town whenever you want", but after taking town it should be impossible to take it by other faction for some time, otherwise this feature is useless.
Only people who are ready to die should be able to kill...

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2010, 04:30:06 pm »

1. Militia needs to be stronger. No random shit.
When you are buying militia, you should be allowed to choose how powerful (and expensive) militia you want. You should choose from several militia types with various guns, armors and skills (for example: dudes in jackets with SMG/Hunting rifle, or dudes in metals with sniper rifles/bazookas/miniguns and so on).

2. You should be allowed to pay for "protection" in a particular town. (mentioned here: http://fodev.net/forum/index.php?topic=3558.0). Here is my idea:
- you have to go to the town where you want "protection" and speak with its leader. Pay him 500 for one week (not real time, but game time - x20 - so it's several hours) of "protection". As you can be killed while doing it, there should be also a possibility to buy it elsewhere. For example: in NCR, using special terminal. Or even new small guarded location, where every northern town would send its representatives - and you could pay there as well.
- after you paid, every time you enter the town where you are "protected", there is a symbol like "*" at the end of your nickname, so you can be recognised as someone who paid for protection
- militia won't attack you if you don't attack them or controlling faction's members,
- militia WILL attack you if you are attacked by controlling faction's members,
- militia WILL attack anyone who attacked you (except controlling faction's members) if leader or important member of controlling faction set them to act like that ("Defend everyone who paid for protection" dialog option while talking to town leader),
- after one week in game, "protection" ends and caps (500) are spawned in TC footlocker,
- if you are "protected" and militia or members of controlling faction kill you, caps aren't spawned.

3. New options while speaking to TC leader:
"Defend everyone who paid for protection" - mentioned before
"Defend everyone present in the town" - militia will attack everyone who starts a fight - except members of controlling faction, of course
"Weapons must be holstered" - militia shouts "PUT YOUR WEAPON AWAY", after 15 seconds starts attacking. Members of controlling faction are allowed to carry weapons, of course.
"Attack all of our enemies on sight" - militia attacks everyone from factions listed as "Enemy factions" on sight - leader and important members of controlling faction should be able to set factions as "Enemy" (I think I've seen such a list but for "Friendly factions" in Modoc's TC dialog)

4. Leader and important members of controlling faction should be able to move members of local militia (simple "Follow me", "Stay here", "Move a bit, you are blocking my way", "Nevermind" dialog options).

I'm still against "windows" for taking control - before last wipe, they resulted in massive camping on worldmap for an hour and then moving to another town.

Idea mentioned in maszrum's post:

5. Radio SOS signal from millitians when they are underattack - Yes, they should send a message on controlling faction's radio channel whenever they are attacked or take casualties (to prevent one bluesuit trolling by hit & run with hunting or something).

6. Karma for Militia - Yes, you should lose reputation whenever you attack militia (it should be reset to 0 when your faction takes control over town, though)

After taking town you should have some blockage from taking it back for like 24 hours. What do you have from taking town. if someone can take the town few seconds after the timer expires... And controlling town all the time forces people to play 24/7 what is impossible. I like the feature with "taking town whenever you want", but after taking town it should be impossible to take it by other faction for some time, otherwise this feature is useless.

There was something like that before and it was horrible.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2010, 04:56:37 pm by Kilgore »
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2010, 04:47:15 pm »

I would say that the biggest problem with TC is that most players aren't interested in it, nor have they tried it.
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2010, 04:50:45 pm »

We're posting here to improve current TC system (it is much better than before wipe). If you don't use this feature or think it's useless:
1. switch to another thread
2. make a suggestion how to improve it

I can assure you that at least 150-200 players on this server are interested in TC
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2010, 04:54:03 pm »

- after you paid, every time you enter the town where you are "protected", there is a symbol like "*" at the end of your nickname, so you can be recognised as someone who paid for protection

- militia WILL attack you if you are attacked by controlling faction's members,

- after one week in game, "protection" ends and caps (500) are spawned in TC footlocker.

Wow sounds like pretty pointless protection to me, so you pay 500 caps then the controlling faction can still shoot and loot

How about the controlling faction aren't able to attack you if you pay protection money.
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2010, 04:55:24 pm »

Ah yes I forgot to add when caps AREN'T spawned. I'll edit that post, thanks.

How about the controlling faction aren't able to attack you if you pay protection money.

No lol. Enemy faction would pay few thousand caps to wipe you out so easily.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2010, 04:57:58 pm by Kilgore »
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2010, 05:12:40 pm »

Then the whole idea of protection money is a joke, if you don't get protected. So lol away.
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2010, 05:34:39 pm »

Then the whole idea of protection money is a joke, if you don't get protected. So lol away.
Why not?
Protected player = the same if he had entered guarded town, where guards are militia and faction members (see above rules for faction members).
Faction member = the same if he is a guard NPC, but who can talk on different languages and say bad words. Can shoot at anyone who want.
Unprotected player = the same if he entered unguarded town where everyone can shot him.

If unprotected player attack protected player or faction member = militia shots his ass and he getting -reputation like in guarded town, so next time he'll be shot on sight, even if he pay for protection.
Faction members can kill unprotected players if they want.
Protected players can't kill unprotected until they become "dangerous" invisible tag, or in other words attack someone, OR protected players can kill them the same as faction members.
Protected player who attacked faction member/other protected player = he becomes unprotected of couse, and militia shoot at him and he gets even more -reputation and he'd better don't come to that place long time.

Now about reputation of faction members at town:
After each kill of protected player by faction member, he gets -100 to reputation. If protected player has been killed my unprotected/other protected, then faction members will lose reputation too, but very low.
If any of faction members gets 0 reputation after killing protected players, militia start to shoot at this faction, and town become under control of NPCs or ... noone.

Protected player who want to capture town making great mistake, because they will have bad reputation there and even if they kill all militia, protected players and faction members town still be under control of that faction, because current faction has low reputation (or atleast one of members of that faction has bad reputation), so they will be simply group of PKs at that town.
So.. they need to be unprotected players to start gang war for taking control under town.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2010, 05:37:44 pm by RavenousRat »
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2010, 05:40:03 pm »

Well Rat because it will be almost the same as it is now, system being suggested is if you pay protection faction members of the owning town still shoot you, which is the problem, its not a problem that militia shoot you and you die thats fine (and usually only happens if there is a faction member there anyway.)

vedaras

• King of the wasteland
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2010, 05:50:12 pm »

i still think that  "gear check" and "king of the hill" in same time would change tc pvp dramatically in a good way. People should come to mayor and make town leader impression with gang number and gang gear. There should be somekinda power rating. So every gang member is +3 to power, every lsw +5 to power, every ba +5 to power, every sniper rifle +3 to power etc. If all summed power passes somekinda test number like 25-30 or whatever then they are allowed to take town and  TC starts, otherwise town leader tells to gtfo and nothing happens. So TC countdown starts and if gang leaves mayor area (i think something like 50 hexes around mayors house should be it or even dont leaving town could be fine) tc control fails. And former town controlling faction remains in control. So town taking faction would need to stay in that area for some time like 20 minutes, if they do that successfully town is theirs.
So In this way:
- no useless militia would be needed.
- Trolls would not have a way how to hit and run as start town control and leaving area would result in nothing
- fights will be encouraged since if gang would want to take town, they would need to stand their ground and fight
« Last Edit: April 22, 2010, 05:53:38 pm by vedaras »
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2010, 05:54:31 pm »

Well Rat because it will be almost the same as it is now, system being suggested is if you pay protection faction members of the owning town still shoot you, which is the problem, its not a problem that militia shoot you and you die thats fine (and usually only happens if there is a faction member there anyway.)
Ok, here's an example, and then I'll also make an addition to my suggestion to make one cool thigs: protected player will get some of his caps back, if killed, yes, it's possible.

Example:
I'm noob bluesuiter, who want to trade at unguarded town or who want to get HQ materials from mine at this town.
First of all I need a bank account. (new addition to suggestion)
I talking to one of NPCs at unguarded town who provides such protection. First choose city, where you have a bank account, and then confirmation, and if you have enough caps, it'll be removed from your character's bank account and you'll be granted protection.
Now, I'm happy bluesuiter with sledgehammer running to mine (there will be a way how to check player is protected or no, may be something like tags before wipe, like <protected>, or opposite <unprotected>), then one of faction members has bad mood and burst me with his minigun just for fun. I have some caps returned to my bank account for this, current faction has -reputation, so they'll have less reward for protection. After killing Xth protected player, as I said, they will be no more faction who controls this town. So, they will get caps for non-killing poor bluesuiters with sledgehammers, and can lose all these caps and even town, if they will kill them. Also, don't forget that they will have bad reputation, so they can't capture it again for a long time, and will be always shot on sight. Also sych players, who have bad reputation at unguarded town should have tag too, like <dangerous>
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2010, 06:04:20 pm »

I think the tags are a good idea, also you could flag people who are carrying any other weapon than a sledghammer as dangerous or armed
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2010, 06:29:52 pm »

Errrr.... any suggestions from people that are directly involved in town control?

Seriously, dudes, your suggestions are full of mistakes. For example:
If any of faction members gets 0 reputation after killing protected players, militia start to shoot at this faction, and town become under control of NPCs or ... noone.
What about trolls who will just pay for protection and come to the town to say you're a dick? :) As I said, controlling faction's members should be allowed to kill anyone they want. If they kill "protected" guy, they won't get caps he paid, simple. I suggested 500, but it can be more, as more caps will surely discourage players from killing protected players. But still I am aware that lots of players will say "WHOA 500 CAPS FOR FEW HOURS ? THAT'S TOO MUCH!"

Suggestion posted by vederas simply sucks because "town taking" is now good and militia IS needed.
Bank accounts.. why do you complicate simple things? :) All that is needed is a terminal in one of guarded towns.
Also, you want to introduce lots of useless tags while we need only to recognise "protected" players.
Pages: [1] 2 3

Page created in 0.103 seconds with 21 queries.