"Wasteland is harsh"
Home Forum Help Login Register
  • April 28, 2024, 10:33:37 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Play WikiBoy BugTracker Developer's blog
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Make radio useful  (Read 2749 times)

Make radio useful
« on: April 10, 2010, 11:19:18 pm »

i have few suggestions to make radio useful :) my english isnt good so i hope you understand me ;)

1. gang should have radio reciever in base, separately or integrated in gang terminal
should it be only reciever, for transmit player need own radio transmitter
it can look like this:

2. maybe hummer and vertibird should have radio reciever with transmitter

3. pipboy may have radio reciever-only upgrade, after hard quest indeed :)

4. color of voices.. every human has unique voice, it can be in game represented by colored square before message
if player know someone's identity he should be able to fill his name
preview:

hope i will see something of this ingame  ;)

« Last Edit: April 10, 2010, 11:20:55 pm by MadMax_CZ »

Florek

• Bang Bang Smash
Re: Make radio useful
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2010, 11:23:32 pm »

Very good idea with add this feature to gang terminal! Also add to Combat Armors radio too.

Lexx

• Rotator
  • Mexican Apple Thief
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2010, 11:25:01 pm »

1. is something we talked internal already since before the wipe. But right now, it's not yet very good to get done, that's why we are still waiting for more freedom.

Sius

• Sheep EX machina!
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2010, 11:35:16 pm »

Thats one great idea up there and also great presentation. Sad its low prio right now :/.

DrapiChrust

• . . . SAY CHEESE . . .
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2010, 11:57:45 pm »

Nice one. One addition though: make this gang radio terminal optional. This radio should be crafted, then installed into the terminal (who wants to go the easy way, huh? ;D). And maybe an ON/OFF option

The voice colour idea is nice, should be useful in smaller gangs
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2010, 10:34:24 am »

I know this has been suggested before... ALOT... But I think that a "SINGLE" radio frequency should recievable via the Pipboy. Players could listen to the radio, but could not transmit their own messages unless they had a radio of thier own. And players could not change the station unless they had a radio. The way I see it is that receiving a signal is completly passive, and no action is really required, in the past there have been problems with people who picked up Radio Stations from the metal in thier teeth. Dentists have learned since then, but it remains a fact that receiving a signal is passive.

As a side note, I'm a military veteran and used radios that look very similiar to the ones in the game. Radios work by Line of Sight, and usually only have a 5 mile range (at most). For them to reach further there has to be a network to relay the signal. Additionally the part about the color change is uneccessary if people use proper radio etiquette. "Grampy2Devs, This would be a nice feature, Over"

Sius

• Sheep EX machina!
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2010, 03:48:40 pm »

I know this has been suggested before... ALOT... But I think that a "SINGLE" radio frequency should recievable via the Pipboy. Players could listen to the radio, but could not transmit their own messages unless they had a radio of thier own. And players could not change the station unless they had a radio. The way I see it is that receiving a signal is completly passive, and no action is really required, in the past there have been problems with people who picked up Radio Stations from the metal in thier teeth. Dentists have learned since then, but it remains a fact that receiving a signal is passive.

As a side note, I'm a military veteran and used radios that look very similiar to the ones in the game. Radios work by Line of Sight, and usually only have a 5 mile range (at most). For them to reach further there has to be a network to relay the signal. Additionally the part about the color change is uneccessary if people use proper radio etiquette. "Grampy2Devs, This would be a nice feature, Over"

I agree with you about the radio etiquette but still some typing friendly feature would be nice. FOnline lack social features like global chat, whispering, character animations, emoticons and stuff like that and it makes ingame communication kinda difficult and very specific (especially when you can't cancel chat window through esc). So maybe when devs won't know what to do, they could introduce something like that.

Surf

• это моё.
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2010, 06:03:15 pm »

FOnline lack social features like global chat

You already have the NCR where most of the chit chatting occurs. Also, there are radios.

whispering

.w Should do the trick.

character animations

You want stupid things like "/spit" or such shit?  ::)

-

emoticons

.e and a little bit of imagination is enough. No use for stupid web 2.0 and generic chat windows in this game.

Sius

• Sheep EX machina!
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2010, 11:54:32 pm »

Surf I'm aware of all that you pointed out but compared to other games FOnline is really like from 90's when it comes to user friendliness. Partially its because its beta but I doubt there are plans for such features what so ever. But to your points:

- the fact that most chat occurs in NCR does not change anything about chat being simple and without any extras
- radios are not very convenient cause the way they are designed as a "tool"
- whispering was meant more like addressed messages to certain players. Normally radio with "Sius2lordus .... over" would do the trick but the game is very harsh when it comes to surviving eg keeping radios with you all the time is next to impossible and annoying even for experienced players (and its required from everyone who you want to communicate with to withstand this)
- whats stupid about social features like dancing, applaud and such? Even when they are done like premade .e messages people would appreciate it. For example some chat icon (menu) near chat window that will offer me list of premade messages that I can just click on and they will be written in .e over my head.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 21 queries.