"Wasteland is harsh"
Home Forum Help Login Register
  • April 27, 2024, 03:58:42 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Play WikiBoy BugTracker Developer's blog
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Electronic Lock ("numerical keypad") / Electronic Car Lock  (Read 9289 times)

Electronic Lock ("numerical keypad") / Electronic Car Lock
« on: April 03, 2010, 04:02:08 am »

I presume this hasn't been discussed before, since the search function couldn't find any simillar thread.

Would it be possible to add eletronic locks ingame, as a craftable (or at least purchasable) item? I mean, you wouldn't have to carry a key (it's a pain in the ass to lose it), you'd just have to input a code every time you open the locker, chest, whatever (my idea was a dialog screen, and to input the code by using "Say", for example). Still lockpickable, of course.

Having such device installed on my locker in the base instead of a classic lock would be a great relief ;D And unlike a classic lock with only one key, certain other people could access the stash as well (just by inputting the right numbers).
« Last Edit: May 21, 2010, 02:30:17 pm by Farreloth »
Re: Electronic Lock
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2010, 04:03:58 am »

So, wait, locks  work now?
Re: Electronic Lock
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2010, 04:05:16 am »

Well, yeah, at least for me  ;)
Re: Electronic Lock ("numerical keypad")
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2010, 04:11:28 am »

Neat does it just give you a key when you use the lock?
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2010, 09:34:33 am »

Yes. Only one key. And if you die with it, then you need a person with a lockpick to open it.
<Izual> Let's crash server

Sius

• Sheep EX machina!
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2010, 10:34:27 am »

I think whole locker/key management could get a bit better. I mean when you want to hide something so small like a key then its not so hard especially when you wear some electrical gadget like pipboy with alot of possible hideouts in it.

Anyway this is brilliant idea but please don't do it through chat window. Instead make its own popup window like elevator has and it will show proper number of digits for the lock (depending on lock quality). So if you have lame lock you will have short password like only 13. But with better skill lock will be able to add more digits = stronger passwords up to 5 digits.

And same goes for lockpicking which could be done in its own popup window too (like a small minigame) and better your lockpicking skill is the easier the game becomes = lockpicking will not be only stat based skill.
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2010, 11:19:58 am »

A new window requires a change in the engine, I guess. So it's faster to just hack it together from existing stuff for now.

lockpicking will not be only stat based skill.
Isn't Fallout a stat only based game? I can't think of an aspect of the game that requires player skill instead of using character stats.

Sius

• Sheep EX machina!
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2010, 12:11:42 pm »

A new window requires a change in the engine, I guess. So it's faster to just hack it together from existing stuff for now.
I guess thats why people who are behind this project are called developers. So the develop new and better means how to play and enjoy. Sure it can be done faster with current available mechanics but they are very limiting and flat. So as temporary solution it can work but not when it comes to a long run.

Isn't Fallout a stat only based game? I can't think of an aspect of the game that requires player skill instead of using character stats.
And isn't that a game killer? Actually its not a game but character manager right now. You just have to count a lot of things and then you will get your % chance of success and you are rdy to roll. Isn't that sweet? FUCK NO! I want human factor deciding whenever we win or loose and char stats just make it easier to win but not to decide the whole thing just by game roll omg! That should be main goal for devs and I believe it already is. So instead of using skill and wait for outcome we should have impact on things that are happening. And if you can't think of such aspect of the game then you either never played some good rpg or you lack imagination.
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2010, 04:08:44 pm »

I guess thats why people who are behind this project are called developers. So the develop new and better means how to play and enjoy.
It was mentioned somewhere that most, if not the whole, FOnline team only create scripts and simple mods to the game engine. For any more serious changes they need to bug Russian developers who edit the engine a bit now and then.

And isn't that a game killer? Actually its not a game but character manager right now. You just have to count a lot of things and then you will get your % chance of success and you are rdy to roll. Isn't that sweet? FUCK NO!
That's the thing about RPGs. Stats matter. It's like having a paintball player in an RPG session. Those two don't mix. Everything in Fallout is decided by a die roll because it's a computer RPG. Yes, there are tactics and other things that we decide on by using what the game offers us, but in the end, everything is based on the whims of a game master and die rolls.

Sius

• Sheep EX machina!
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2010, 04:59:39 pm »

Why instead of "über" roll we don't use something like:

Or maybe oblivion is not such a good example. So maybe this:

Anyway "minigames" like this are always better than simple roll and see if its win/fail. You have influence on such minigame and even someone with high skill can fail and vice versa. Skill should only determine how easy/hard will such minigame be rest should depend on players skills (real player not ingame char).

Surf

• это моё.
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2010, 05:07:51 pm »

For christs sake, no. As much as I agree on your orher suggestionsSius, this time I have to disagree. As this game still bases on stats and skills as an cRPG things like minigames would be total out of place imo.
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2010, 02:06:34 pm »

Yeah, I guess a minigame would be a little too much... A dialog window would be more than enough  ;)

Michaelh139

• Goin for 900,000...
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2010, 09:52:14 pm »

I like the idea in general...  I even like the minigame part, but this game is too fast-paced, a player can easily see a sneaker trying to lockpick something and get bursted, the "try lockpick see if fail or win and run" is the only way it can go and should stay that way.
Whenever I say something, imagine \"In my opinion"/ being in the front of every sentence.
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2010, 10:31:20 pm »

Why would you complain about stat based games when all mmos are stat based by their very nature?

Aricvomit

• Prepare for bowel disruption
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2010, 11:02:29 pm »

I like the idea of electronic locks but instead of lockpicking skills youd need science skills and maybe repair skills to use them, electronics are highly sensitive and would require upkeep to keep them fuctional, say maybe you have to power them up with small energy cells or something, i dunno. i really like this idea though and would like to see something come of it
plasma nade your face off!
Pages: [1] 2 3

Page created in 0.057 seconds with 21 queries.