"Wasteland is harsh"
Home Forum Help Login Register
  • June 26, 2024, 07:15:30 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Play WikiBoy BugTracker Developer's blog
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: How to detect sneakers  (Read 1159 times)

Vandal

• The Sarmatian
How to detect sneakers
« on: January 31, 2012, 12:14:10 pm »

What do you think to add a feature that you can shoot in some direction no matter if there isn't player/critter? You have m60 or minigun or smg or pistol or whatever, and you think somebody is sneaking behind you (if the range of weapon is 25, you can detect sneaker in some directions to 25 range by hitting him), burst everything in front of you and if there was a sneaker thats how you can detect him, of course if you have to hit him but if you burst 10-20 bullets one has to hit him and the sneaking for him is over. All the talk about sneakers will be over because now you can detect them by shooting in directions and if you are playing as sneaker you have to be extra extra carefull. What do you think?
« Last Edit: January 31, 2012, 12:15:49 pm by Vandal »
Re: How to detect sneakers
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2012, 01:14:19 pm »

ToHit should be lowered significantly for this case.
You don't know where to shot,so you have to miss for sure. May be [Luck]% toHit for a bullet.
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2012, 01:32:21 pm »

Interesting idea i must say, and does match the fact Grenades can be thrown at hexes.

Single-shot weapons/modes wouldn't be very useful here. (With the exception of the Rocket Launcher)

Heres how i'd think it would work:

You pick a hex within the weapons Maximum range (Inside your PE range perhaps) to fire at. You then fire at that  location. Aiming close to you would fire in your general direction (Hitting closer targets mostly)
Where as aiming further away fires more accurately (Hitting further targets around that area)
Bursting like this and hitting a Player/NPC at max 3 hexes away, acts as if you had targeted them.
Any Critter hit over 4 hexes away (but none at 3 hexes or less) would take less damage
reguardless of skill.
No attack done this way will ever cause a critical (Or if so, only based on the Luck stat) no matter if burst or single.

Projectiles such as Rockets, Plasma Bolts, ect. would have a much higher  chance of hitting a critter (no matter the range) than bullets would. Though Armor Class would have to play a role, im sure.

Well thats just my idea, anyways.
(Do note im not exactly for this idea, but, well, maybe the Rocket Launcher.)
Everything must change.

teamabyss

• The forum account for Team Abyss Gaming
    • Our yotube page... (It has a twitter link somewhere on it, i think?)
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2012, 02:07:06 pm »

I do like this idea,
However, not for the sneaking part of it.
I know for a fact, if im ever being attacked by a group of people, or hell if im defending a place, there is a limit on how far you can see.
Now- Defending a place with this would be made a whole lot easier, you could just set it onto spray, wait for somone to go near the door... (You may not be able to seee them, maybe have a sneaker outside the base, tell you when they are outside door, then you spay)
This would damage them, and cvhances are they would step back, possibly going away.
Also, i believe rockets should have a "Aim to floor" Function, taking up all your AP at the time, you should be able to aim at the floor of an area, causing a DOA, and if you are watching a place, you can fire it just thrugh the door, or past cover, one hex past the cover, and decimate all the injured behind this aforementioned cover.
*Steele critically hit Ethell in the groin for 87 hit points, knocking her out, knocking her down, and bypassing her armour*
SPARTA KICK!
http://www.youtube.com/user/TeamAbyssGaming?feature=mhee
Thanks for watching!

avv

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2012, 02:58:38 pm »

It would make grenade hexthrows less useful because players would always hexshoot with rocket.
Unless the rocket would just go forward and explode on 40 hex.
But it would be probably too easy way to reveal sneaks with burst. If it's random it'd be even worse for everyone. Randomness must have no place here.
Sneaks are pretty vulnerable to bursts already and with motion sensor or high PE a sneaker would have little chance.

I understand the hate for cheap equipment troll sneaks and proxies but there are also players who main as sneaker and it would hurt their gameplay if all sneaking was made harder.

Throwing a flare where you think a sneak might be could auto-desneak him. Throwing flares in ground could create areas of no-sneak. Wouldn't be too unfair and flares would get a role in gameplay.
Based on evidence collected from various sources by trustworthy attendees it is undisputed veritability that the land ravaged by atomic warfare which caused extreme change of the ecosystem and environmental hazards can be considered unpleasant, rugged and unforgiving.

Vandal

• The Sarmatian
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2012, 07:13:42 pm »

Throwing a flare where you think a sneak might be could auto-desneak him. Throwing flares in ground could create areas of no-sneak. Wouldn't be too unfair and flares would get a role in gameplay.

I like this

Reconite

• I'm a Spore Plant, I swear to god
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2012, 10:06:56 pm »

Good idea to give flares some use.
Quote from: Zogra
THIS IS NOT BETA THIS IS SPARTA

ARWH. Scummers to the end.

Solar

• Rotator
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2012, 10:34:07 pm »

Yes, I wanted it, along with many light effects.

However lighting doesn't work and having flares decrease sneak when its the middle of the afternoon is nonsense.

When lighting works, flares will decrease sneak.
Quote from: Woodrow Wilson
If you want to make enemies, try to change something.

Crazy

• Drugged Childkiller
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2012, 12:21:18 am »

However lighting doesn't work and having flares decrease sneak when its the middle of the afternoon is nonsense.
I don't fully agree, you can still hide in shadows in afternoon, and if you're near a very bright light source, your silhouette (not sure for the word, google translate) is really very easily visible. And would allow to make it useful right now. I think it should still be implanted.
When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk

Member of the Most Hated Faction
TTTLA, for Great Justice !

avv

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2012, 11:16:01 am »

Yes, I wanted it, along with many light effects.

When lighting works, flares will decrease sneak.

But how is the sneaker invisible in the clear daylight in first place  ;D?

Not everything has to make sense, this time it's just about making something useful and having solid gameplay features for players to utilize.
Based on evidence collected from various sources by trustworthy attendees it is undisputed veritability that the land ravaged by atomic warfare which caused extreme change of the ecosystem and environmental hazards can be considered unpleasant, rugged and unforgiving.

Solar

• Rotator
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2012, 01:09:44 pm »

The sneaker isn't invisible - you just don't notice him.

I'm trying to de-magic sneaking, not add extra magic things to it.

When flares can mitigate dark effects, they can play a role in sneak.
Quote from: Woodrow Wilson
If you want to make enemies, try to change something.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.095 seconds with 22 queries.