"Wasteland is harsh"
Home Forum Help Login Register
  • April 27, 2024, 09:45:08 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Play WikiBoy BugTracker Developer's blog
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Throwing grenades over obstacles  (Read 4836 times)

Throwing grenades over obstacles
« on: February 20, 2010, 06:16:03 pm »

I don't know if it requires an engine modification or not, but I think that throwing grenades over the obstacles like walls, small buildings, etc. would make a lot of sense. This way "Throwing" would make a valuable additional skill for any combat-oriented character.

Of course it would require the ability to throw/shot directly to the ground (without having to aim at the target, since it's not visible behind obstacles), just like in F:Tactics, which may (or may not) be difficult to implement, but it's logical.

That's my little suggestion  ;).
Thanks for reading.

Nice_Boat

• I shot a man in Reno just to watch him die.
Re: Throwing grenades over obstacles
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2010, 06:27:52 pm »

I'd rather have Fallout: Tactics based forced fire mode - ctrl+click makes your character fire targeting a specific hex, whether it's occupied or not. Suppressive fire, anyone? ;D
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2010, 10:15:29 pm »

I'd rather have Fallout: Tactics based forced fire mode - ctrl+click makes your character fire targeting a specific hex, whether it's occupied or not. Suppressive fire, anyone? ;D

oh yea that was nice feature.
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2010, 08:40:25 am »

oh yea that was nice feature.

well yes, but if you remember, it was so buggy that many times i could shoot through the walls with a rocket launcher and grenades could be thrown inside houses without a window or any hole...
if this bug is possible to avoid, then im supporting this idea
ĐαгҲ!Đ٤™

avv

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2010, 09:09:57 am »

well yes, but if you remember, it was so buggy that many times i could shoot through the walls with a rocket launcher and grenades could be thrown inside houses without a window or any hole...

Or the grenade hit the wall instead of flying over it and blasted you to bits.

Based on evidence collected from various sources by trustworthy attendees it is undisputed veritability that the land ravaged by atomic warfare which caused extreme change of the ecosystem and environmental hazards can be considered unpleasant, rugged and unforgiving.

Nice_Boat

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2010, 01:04:55 pm »

if this bug is possible to avoid, then im supporting this idea

Not sure if the solution is feasible in FOnline, but you could make the game spawn an invisible critter that doesn't block LOS/cause - for chance to hit under the mouse cursor once you press ctrl and move it around with the cursor - that way the feature would follow standard LOS rules. Or make it happen on ctrl+click with 1 second timeout (and have a script to remove it real quick) so to fire you need to ctrl + doubleclick. That's mostly the way suppressive fire and artillery used to be done in, say, Operation Flashpoint.
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2010, 01:10:40 pm »

Not sure if the solution is feasible in FOnline, but you could make the game spawn an invisible critter that doesn't block LOS/cause - for chance to hit under the mouse cursor once you press ctrl and move it around with the cursor - that way the feature would follow standard LOS rules. Or make it happen on ctrl+click with 1 second timeout (and have a script to remove it real quick) so to fire you need to ctrl + doubleclick. That's mostly the way suppressive fire and artillery used to be done in, say, Operation Flashpoint.

So you don't need any skill at Big Guns? You can simply shoot 1 hex before target with Rocketlauncher to hit ground, ignoring target's AC? So, 1st level noob with any skills tagged with 20% Big Guns can kill everyone with his Rocketlauncher by targeting hex near victim.
Changed nickname. This acc not in use anymore. Please, devs/mods/gms/ whoever, you can delete it.

Nice_Boat

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2010, 02:50:52 pm »

So you don't need any skill at Big Guns? You can simply shoot 1 hex before target with Rocketlauncher to hit ground, ignoring target's AC? So, 1st level noob with any skills tagged with 20% Big Guns can kill everyone with his Rocketlauncher by targeting hex near victim.

This "indirect fire critter" should have higher AC than your average player (I'd say something around 50) - it's harder to hit a spot on the ground at a distance than to hit something "protruding" from it, like a human or a wall  8)

DrapiChrust

• . . . SAY CHEESE . . .
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2010, 02:18:28 pm »

Suppressive fire, yeah... I agree that this game in which most people sooner or later focus on 'killing each other' should have a little bit more tactics than now.

But I suppose we have a little problem with this... I'm not sure if the game distincts the partial obstacles (like trees or small rock piles) from 'full obstacles' like walls. Possibly allowing to throw a granade over the pile would be equal to throw a grenade 'over' the wall (nevermind if there is a roof/window or not).

gordulan

• General Animosity
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2010, 09:05:20 pm »

well, there are a LOT of holes in the roofs of houses normally.

http://tf-2.fr/ach.php?a=Bend Over, Boyo II&b=Shoot 150 people as they are running away from you... In the arse&c=56&d=150&e=1703&f=1
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2010, 12:48:54 am »

But I suppose we have a little problem with this... I'm not sure if the game distincts the partial obstacles (like trees or small rock piles) from 'full obstacles' like walls. Possibly allowing to throw a granade over the pile would be equal to throw a grenade 'over' the wall (nevermind if there is a roof/window or not).

That's why I'm afraid that implementation of the idea would require the engine modification, which makes it quite a far future suggestion. It would add a lot of new elements to the tactics though.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.067 seconds with 22 queries.