"Wasteland is harsh"
Home Forum Help Login Register
  • April 28, 2024, 10:08:57 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Play WikiBoy BugTracker Developer's blog

Poll

Would you like to have this feature in game?

yes
no

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Faction 's OUTPOST” strikes back  (Read 11360 times)

Faction 's OUTPOST” strikes back
« on: December 28, 2009, 03:00:57 pm »

My previous suggestion on nma was impossible because of a feature not implemented in fonline engine, I will try again.

This time I hope it won't involve those ugly “dynamic objects”...

Let's take 3 of the most representative NPC factions in fallout: BOS, The Enclave, and the Unity (Remnants of the Master's Army). I will call these NPC factions "Orders" to simplify.

Those Orders would certainly like to spread their influence over the Wasteland.
=> Players can help them to through the creation of Outposts.

This time those outposts won't be upgradeable.

Creation of an Outpost:

Very similar to the creation of a base. You go to Enclave, BOS or Cathedral NPC and propose your help.

You pay 30 000 caps and choose a town from the list the NPC propose to you (every town of the wasteland can be chosen or only unguarded towns?).

Then your Outpost is created near the town you have chosen.
(teal circle for Enclave, orange circle for BOS, red circle for The Unity)

No more than 3 outposts can be created around a town
(to avoid Spam).

You will be granted from 1 to 6 soldiers representative of the Order to keep your Outpost=>it will depend on your speech skill (and karma?).

Example:

I go to The cathedral  with 2 of my teammates and 30 000 caps, I ask the NPC for an Outpost near Gecko. It will be an outpost for The Unity.
 My speech is average so he gives 3 guards to defend my Outpost.

NB:

- If your faction choose to build an Outpost for an Order, you will only be able to build outpost from that Order. I mean if I build an Enclave Outpost I couldn't build a BOS or Master Outpost. I will have to destroy it before.

- Your Outpost will only be visible by your team until you go in it. Then it will appear for all.
- You can't build 2 outposts in a row, you need to wait one week.

Advantage of an Outpost:

1- If you keep your Outpost for at least 15 min (in real), then a caravan will come and grant you for around 15 000 caps of stuff (stuff depending on the Order?).

2- Every week (in game),  a caravan from the town nearby brings good stuffs and caps to your Outpost footlocker. And this for EACH outpost created.

2bis- Every week (in game), you will be granted one more soldier to your outpost (without exceeding an amount of 6).

3- If a town has 3 Outposts of the same Order (Enclave, BOS or Unity) around it=>
All 3 Outposts will be granted an extra amount of stuffs every week.
Example: if my faction build a BOS outpost around Brokenhill where there are already 2 BOS outposts of other factions, I will have interest in defending outposts of other factions too.

How to destroy an Outpost:

If a group kill all the guards that has been granted to you
(500 HP each?), you will lose your Outpost.
=> The faction will have to protect and heal the guards to save its outpost.
When a stranger go in an outpost, he won't be attacked by the guards unless he has bad karma with the Order or if he is aggressive to them (or faction will decide of guards behaviour?).

Options:

Option 1:

If a town has 3 Outposts of the same Order (Enclave, BOS or Unity) around it
=>this Order will have TC (it means no player at all will have access to footlocker of the town)=> the TC stuff will be dispatched equally to the 3 outposts.
=> Soldiers of this Order will spawn in town and will attack any players who have bad karma in this Order.
=>Those soldiers will leave the city only if ALL 3 outposts are destroyed.

Option 2:

You can take your outpost's guards with you to attack an enemy outpost nearby (not of the same Order of course).

To conclude:

If this idea is possible (and shared by other players and developers of course) it will have the advantage of avoiding constant gangs wars in town.

Moreover, it could bring some sense of the Wasteland time line: domination of Enclave, BOS or The Unity decided by the players.

Waiting for your comments...

BOS outpost:                                                                                       THe Enclave Outpost:                                                                            The Master Outpost:

« Last Edit: December 28, 2009, 06:08:55 pm by scypior »
TTTLA for a New World Order

Bartosz

• Rotator
  • There'd better be a killer reason...
Re: Faction 's OUTPOST” strikes back
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2009, 03:50:43 pm »

Let's take 3 of the most representative NPC factions in fallout: BOS, The Enclave, and the Unity (Remnants of the Master's Army). I will call these NPC factions "Orders" to simplify.

Master! OK, you bought me. No, really, I like it. And I must admit that previously I automatically rejected it because of dynamic objects. Not like we don't want them, it's just not possible for now.

Got a question about outpost ownership:
- Your Outpost will only be visible by your team until you go in it. Then it will appear for all.

By team you're refering to gang? Or team of players that went to the NPC to "buy" it?

1- If you keep your Outpost for at least 15 min (in real), then a caravan will come and grant you for around 15 000 caps of stuff (stuff depending on the Order?).

This could go in par with something we're planning since some time. Basically, as a reward for serving some npc faction (in your terms "Order"), you get points, that you can trade for services later. That's why it doesn't have to be flat caps reward, players could get those points, and trade them at respective factions.

For example: Brotherhood CA at BoS, some advanced weapons etc.

PS. I still think NCR could play big role in it.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2009, 03:57:25 pm by scypior »
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2009, 05:24:53 pm »

Like that idea too. I also like the pictures of those outposts.

Two things:

1) It could be a way to increase ur reputation (there are still no real opportunities to do this) for the 3 factions AND for the cities you guard with the outposts.
2) It might be better to have some different prices for the three types of outposts. Enclave Outposts seem to be way better because they are guarded by Guards in PA. So either you make those NPC Guards equal to each other (they got the PA as skin but do have the same Armor Class and Dmg-reduces like the npcs from the other factions) or you increase the price for such an outpost.

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2009, 05:32:18 pm »

How is it an advantage to stop constant town warfare?
And this suggestion sounds terrible, you're basically creating something that has to be held for a very small window each week and has super strong guards there anyway.
Improvements to town control instead of another system that is basically the same idea is a better use of time.
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2009, 07:49:23 pm »

By team you're refering to gang? Or team of players that went to the NPC to "buy" it?

This could go in par with something we're planning since some time. Basically, as a reward for serving some npc faction (in your terms "Order"), you get points, that you can trade for services later. That's why it doesn't have to be flat caps reward, players could get those points, and trade them at respective factions.

For example: Brotherhood CA at BoS, some advanced weapons etc.

PS. I still think NCR could play big role in it.

Oh yeah, would be nice to have specific stuff related to npc factions.
By team i was refering to gang
And yep,  i think NCR has also a background rich enough to be part of the Wasteland domination.

Like that idea too. I also like the pictures of those outposts.

Two things:

1) It could be a way to increase ur reputation (there are still no real opportunities to do this) for the 3 factions AND for the cities you guard with the outposts.
2) It might be better to have some different prices for the three types of outposts. Enclave Outposts seem to be way better because they are guarded by Guards in PA. So either you make those NPC Guards equal to each other (they got the PA as skin but do have the same Armor Class and Dmg-reduces like the npcs from the other factions) or you increase the price for such an outpost.

=> i agree with your two points (i'd prefer different prices than APA nerfing)

And this suggestion sounds terrible, you're basically creating something that has to be held for a very small window each week and has super strong guards there anyway.
You misundertood my point:
First, you can create or attack an outpost at any time (recover of goods for the one who has destroyed it could also be considered).
Secondly the strength of the guards has to be tested to have a good balance (neither too easy nor too hard to be killed).
As for constant town warfare, Badger explained this better than me in another post=====>>>>
I think it might be worth moving this whole 'Town Control' thing away from towns to 'Key Areas'. Both existing and new. Places like the Ghost Farm, Sierra, etc. - people need to be rewarded for visiting there so we add good traders. It gives PKers interesting areas to fight over without shitting on everyone who isn't in their faction. Everyone needs to use towns at some point, so putting them in the hands of angry men with itchy trigger fingers doesn't make a good game. I loved the idea of Town Control, but it didn't work out. It isn't guarding the town, it's instead making it unusable to anyone who isn't your faction.

Forcing all players into such high conflict zones is inevitably a recipe for disaster. It sounds cool that people 'control towns', but the reality is that it means they kill anyone who enters because they could be SEKRIT ENEMY FAKTION SPY!!! It's questionable whether the people of Modoc would reward thugs that shoot anyone that comes into town, thereby running their economy into the ground.
Besides, this feature isn't meant to change TC: they can stay as they are.

« Last Edit: December 28, 2009, 07:52:16 pm by Cryofluid »

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2009, 07:59:41 pm »

"First, you can create or attack an outpost at any time (recover of goods for the one who has destroyed it could also be considered)."
This means that unless you are online 24/7 your base will get fucked over.
I'd simply find the bases owned by Americans, hit them up during Euro morning.
Russian bases? Late Euro night.
Create any time? Yeah sure because the limit of 3 per town won't get taken up instantly oh no.
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2009, 12:50:30 am »

I think it's a good idea !
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2009, 01:09:29 am »

This means that unless you are online 24/7 your base will get fucked over.

1) Depends on the strength of the guards. With 3 guards with 500 HP each, it can be very hard to destroy. A strong team could do it for sure=> that's why i say the strength of the guards has to be tested to find the good balance. By good balance, i mean that it has to be a challenge to destroy an outpost even if there is only NPC in it.

2) Other teams can help to defend your outpost while you are offline (the faction which have an outpost of the same Order than you will have interest to defend it).

3) Imagine that you have a big faction and want to destroy all the outposts (Delamore The Rebel!). You go on World map and see 10 or 12 outposts scattered around different towns => it will be a great challenge to destroy them all!(great challenge =fun no?)

Create any time? Yeah sure because the limit of 3 per town won't get taken up instantly oh no.

I repeat to be clear (or try to be): A faction which create 1 outpost couldn't create another one before one week (one week in game).

Now imagine a series of 3 factions which want to dominate a town instantly (and worse: option 1 is active!) => they all go to the same NPC (for example The Enclave) and each build an outpost around that town.
=> Well it seems something very bad has happened to The Wasteland (without irony)=> A town is under The Enclave control=>nobody except ones with good Enclave karma will be able to enter this town (or will be shot by Enclave patrol spread all over the city)!
=> the only way to free town will be to destroy all 3 outposts=> i hope you will find enough people to gather and put an end to that tyranny...

« Last Edit: December 29, 2009, 01:24:31 am by Cryofluid »

BurntAluminum

• The Intelligence Quotient
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2009, 12:40:29 pm »

I think Delamore is simply disagreeing for the sake of disagreeing, however, what's to keep a single order from eventually running the wastes? I think there should be a limit to how many towns an order should run. A few suggestions I could put out there to limit this feature 2 towns to an order, Maybe even keep gangs from making too many outposts, or making it so members would have to be part of a faction before creating an outpost.

This would definitely make Town Control more interesting, and would actually make NPC factions seem a little more lively.
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2009, 01:20:16 pm »

or making it so members would have to be part of a faction before creating an outpost.

Yes.
For instance, only players with sufficient karma could be allowed to create an outpost.
=> to increase karma, player could have several options:

1) doing quests for the NPC faction. Those quests will help player to understand the faction 's way of thinking and projects.

2) destroying other NPC factions' outposts

3) other ways already implemented or to be implemented (i mean developers have already in mind a lot of things about karma so i don't want to interfere too much...)

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2009, 01:46:08 pm »

1) Depends on the strength of the guards. With 3 guards with 500 HP each, it can be very hard to destroy. A strong team could do it for sure=> that's why i say the strength of the guards has to be tested to find the good balance. By good balance, i mean that it has to be a challenge to destroy an outpost even if there is only NPC in it.
If it's a challenge with only NPCs, what happens when players are there? It becomes impossible to take?

Now imagine a series of 3 factions which want to dominate a town instantly (and worse: option 1 is active!) => they all go to the same NPC (for example The Enclave) and each build an outpost around that town.
=> Well it seems something very bad has happened to The Wasteland (without irony)=> A town is under The Enclave control=>nobody except ones with good Enclave karma will be able to enter this town (or will be shot by Enclave patrol spread all over the city)!
=> the only way to free town will be to destroy all 3 outposts=> i hope you will find enough people to gather and put an end to that tyranny...
You said that an advantage to this was moving conflict away from cities, yet now you talk of putting it right back in there 24/7 until the bases get removed? This shows how little thought you have put into the suggestion.
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2009, 02:07:44 pm »

If it's a challenge with only NPCs, what happens when players are there? It becomes impossible to take?

=> i repeat: to be tested, a middle ground can be found like all other issues in game.

You said that an advantage to this was moving conflict away from cities, yet now you talk of putting it right back in there 24/7 until the bases get removed? This shows how little thought you have put into the suggestion.

=> except that it is far more difficult to get TC in my way : 3 different gangs with each good karma in NPC faction to have TC instantly for the NPC faction not for the gangs => TC goods transfered to outposts during the NPC faction' control of the town
=> and i said "If Option 1 is active which  is only an option"=> i repeat this feature could be apart from TC (though i think it would be better to have both: current TC system (town fights) + outposts' fights=> more fighting grounds mean more players will be able to wander in cities without being under factions'fire)

=> please try to think a bit more before writing: at the beginning your criticisms were constructive but now it's boring...

BurntAluminum

• The Intelligence Quotient
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2009, 02:22:49 pm »

From what I understand, the conflict will be outside of the city, just not far from the city. People who are Neutral with Enclave will not be attacked, people who are hated by the enclave will be shot on sight, unless they release the town from enclave control. If good characters don't want to get shot at, they can remove the Enclave and put BoS or NCR in charge. This makes perfect sense to me, and it's not like Cryo is programming this, he's simply suggesting it. If this feature gets implemented the Devs will be working on the balance, not Cryo. Things like this go under testing for a reason, be it solidifying a script, faulty mapping, imbalanced gameplay features, or straight-out fucked up bugs. If this gets implemented the devs are going to tinker with the idea, find exploits, and release it, and the beta testers(That's us) will report whatever bugs/exploits/imbalances we experience.

I'm not really going to debate further than that to avoid what I believe may turn into a flamewar, I believe it would be better advised and simply state why you disagree with it in detail, and remain civil.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2009, 02:26:34 pm by BurntAluminum »

Michaelh139

• Goin for 900,000...
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2010, 06:45:58 am »

Since this wasn't thrown in with the rest of the bodies I guess its still up for debate so let me start by saying:

"Awesomesauce"

The idea in general is great and would bring new taste to the game's PVP but........ 

If one gang has a enclave and another does also, will they be able to fight each other?  It doesn't make sense if they did because it would be Envlace VS Enclave :/.

Would spam the WorldMap too much.

Keep the normal bases please so if there is a limit of faction bases to each town at least a gang will be able to still get bases.

Having all those uber powerful factions roam around all the towns is ridiculous.  Too many people will be killed and pissed off.

I could go on a little longer but how bout some good stuff before I finish:

I would love to be able to destroy a faction's base and take their shit, it'd be like command and conquer :P.

Would give factions a good reason to buy defense mercenaries for their base, and actually stand a chance since they can have as many as they want and customize their weaponry and place them tactically.

Would be epic to see a 15 person pk team attacking another gang's base to try and pillage it, just plain awesome.

Would lower the Ghost Town rate. (well maybe  ::))

Give NPC factions a reason to exist in the game besides just proffession holders and mobs...

Anyways thats my opinion and judging from the poll most everyone else wants this.

Whenever I say something, imagine \"In my opinion"/ being in the front of every sentence.

Mr Feltzer

• FOnline: Australia
    • The Core Gaming Australia's Website
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2010, 09:49:20 am »

I LOVE the Idea, The Only thing to Improve is that there should be more Factions avaliable, For Example,

Redding Police,

NCR Rangers.
Founder of Fallout Online Australia
Pages: [1] 2 3

Page created in 0.179 seconds with 24 queries.