"Wasteland is harsh"
Home Forum Help Login Register
  • April 28, 2024, 03:57:32 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Play WikiBoy BugTracker Developer's blog
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Make yourself available as a merc  (Read 4170 times)

Make yourself available as a merc
« on: February 12, 2010, 01:09:45 pm »

This is a suggestion for the long-term, I'm not even sure whether it is possible to implement in FOnline.

Anyway, the suggestion is rather simple in concept: you should be able to put yourself available for hire as a merc. Of course, that is already possible in theory, but in practice there's no way to actually enforce this.

It should be possible to come up with a system like this:

- You can get a "merc card" for a nominal fee and with some skill requirements. For example, you get a "Level 1 Small Guns Merc card" for 1000 caps and 80% Small Guns skill, and a "Level 2 Energy Weapons Merc card" for 3000 caps and 130% Energy Weapons skill. These cards are items in your inventory that you keep when you respawn, except in some conditions (see below).
- You can trade these merc cards with other players. Those who want to hire you will make a money offer, which you can accept or not. If you accept it, the other player gets your card, and you get the money of course. That other player is now your "boss".
- You get the card back when your contract expires automatically. This prevents you from being hired by more than one "boss" at a time. If you die while someone else has your card, you only get the card back when your contract expires (but you still get it automatically).
- A new faction must be created in FOnline, called "Mercenary Guild" or something like that. No-one can join this faction. For every kill you nail while under a contract, your reputation with this faction increases slightly. For every time you die, leave your boss, or simply do not attack the enemy, you lose reputation with that faction.
- At the end of your contract, your boss can give you a boost to your reputation with this faction. It's left entirely up to him, but the bonus cannot be too big (say between +20 and -20).

The main problems I see in this approach:

- Enforcing the time before the contract expires. Perhaps one could hold several cards, like a 15-minute card, a 1-hour card, etc. When you trade one of these, all others are deleted from your inventory until you get it back. It would be nice if one could use a "Say" window within the barter screen to specify how long the contract lasts. Naturally, this value must be visible to the person hiring you.
- Enforcing that the person who gets hired fulfills his/her obligations. The reputation system probably accomplishes this rather well, and I think it would be great if this is the single thing that holds you to your contract. This means that you can actually just leave your boss for dead in the wastes, but your reputation will suffer. It might be hard to implement though. NPCs from the Mercenary Guild should be present in major locations (NCR, Hub, Vault City, etc) and anyone can ask them with the Say button what is the reputation of any given person. This will allow good mercs to demand higher wages.
- Adapting the reputation system to other types of mercenaries (medics, scouts, etc).
- Sharing the experience gained from kills. This is a more general problem in FOnline, so I won't discuss it here.

It seems to me that this is a reasonably hard-to-implement feature. On the other hand, being available for hire strikes me as one of the things that would really happen in a post-apocalyptic world. If you are a sniper, you can hire a melee-wielding tank to hold the enemy far while you blow their eyeballs out. If you are going to hunt deathclaws, you can hire three or four mercs to accompany you to make sure you survive.

So, what do you all think?
Re: Make yourself available as a merc
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2010, 06:49:10 am »

I like this.
JUST GIVE ME THE CHIP!!
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2010, 07:10:08 am »

Fantastic idea
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2010, 09:21:28 am »

I'd like to hear comments from Devs...

runboy93

• 'Insanity'
    • MyAnimelist Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2010, 10:08:11 am »

hmm.. this sounds fun ;)

Lexx

• Rotator
  • Mexican Apple Thief
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2010, 02:10:18 pm »

I'd like to hear comments from Devs...

100% chance of abuse.

1. Take the money from player.
2. Follow him.
3. ? ? ?
4. Kill him and loot. $$$

Also if someone want's to work as a merc for others, I don't think it is needed to have so much additional script stuff.

gordulan

• General Animosity
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2010, 04:19:59 pm »

not if the (looter) will lose 500 rep with all npc factions

http://tf-2.fr/ach.php?a=Bend Over, Boyo II&b=Shoot 150 people as they are running away from you... In the arse&c=56&d=150&e=1703&f=1
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2010, 08:27:34 pm »

Don't you get +100 rep per day if it's under -200?
<Izual> Let's crash server

Ganado

• Dishonest Abe
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2010, 09:17:09 pm »

Don't you get +100 rep per day if it's under -200?

+10 each Real-life day.

As for this topic, it would require a lot of trust, probably to the point of it not working as just a job. It would just be the same thing as two people hunting for fun, and not for money.  Like Lexx said, someone could easily kill you.

And I like the "sharing experience" idea, but if you shared gained experience, this could just let the tougher guy kill a deathclaw, and then you get 500 XP for nothing. If a sharing-experience idea were to be in the game, then I think it should apply to whenever two people are killing the same creature, whether it is a Merc or not. It would give you a % of EXP based on the amount of HP-damage you gave to a creature.

So, if a Deathclaw has 300 HP, and you took 100 HP away from it, while your partner took 200 HP away from it, you would gain 333 EXP and your partner, 666 EXP, for example. ( of course if it is a NPC, he woudn't gain eXP)
« Last Edit: February 24, 2010, 09:30:09 pm by Dishonest Abe »
Error while opening cfg file: spawnnpc.cfg
Shit! Damn admins! Always ruining my fun! I guess I'll talk to them. WITH MY FISTS!!!! No seriously, I will write them a nice email or make a thread on the forums or something. Thanks!
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2010, 10:05:52 pm »

It's ±100 every real-life day that |rep| > 200, or ±10 every in-game day or so.

Marko69

• SLASH!
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2010, 06:31:12 pm »

you have more chance to get a job as a taxi
Anti-pk, protector of the law in wasteland.

John.Metzger

• Hey Joe.
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2010, 05:09:21 pm »

player to player quest should be more supported. :-\
as lexx said: most shit is abuseable

main idea is very nice

heh! they should integrate some employmentcontract. maybe with penalty for breach of contract ^^
« Last Edit: May 28, 2010, 05:14:08 pm by John.Metzger »
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2010, 06:30:04 am »

100% chance of abuse.

1. Take the money from player.
2. Follow him.
3. ? ? ?
4. Kill him and loot. $$$

Also if someone want's to work as a merc for others, I don't think it is needed to have so much additional script stuff.

there -is- away to fix that to a point, make it more of a "job", in which you get your money after the fact, meaning, a player pays a NPC after picking from a list of player names. than after the contract ends, he gets his money, if he kills the guy he doesnt get payed, and while this might lead to the players still getting killed anyway for their gear, if you kill your contact by mistake you lose a card rank, and if you kill a guy with a level 1 card you get kicked out and earn a bad rep with other factions that might use mercs, due to them hearing about you.

anyway, cheers.

-Ulrek-

Michaelh139

• Goin for 900,000...
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2010, 08:12:56 am »

I like this and I have a solution of my own actually...  Make it to where there is a mercenary player recruitment npc in every town, and a player signs up with that town's mercenary recruiter and is hired to a player, if the player mercenary disobeys, commits fraud of contract, etc.....  He will become vilified in that town depending on conditions.
Whenever I say something, imagine \"In my opinion"/ being in the front of every sentence.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.089 seconds with 21 queries.