Login with username, password and session length
Play WikiBoy BugTracker Developer's blog

Poll

Do you like the idea?

Yea, why not, it would be good
No, I don't want more bases
I don't care

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Building a base instead of buying it  (Read 4770 times)

Graf

• "Next Day" developer
Building a base instead of buying it
« on: June 22, 2011, 12:50:50 pm »

Recently I've thought, that if we are able to buy a base (that obviously was built by someone) then why not to add an ability to build it? But since the engine doesn't support the dynamic maps, there could be another way out. So I suggest to add a recipe (which is in a fact a 6 recipes) that could be obtained by buying a scheme(s), for a very little amount of caps (let's say 500 or 1000 in most of the towns) or available to get via quest. This is how it works:

The player gets a scheme (no matter how he did it - bought, get as a reward or stole it) that adds to his Fix Boy a new recipe. But as it's not that easy to build something big, it would require a collecting following materials:

To build a cave:
Total weight = 50982 g

To build a trapper camp Part 1 +
Total weight = 60466 g

To build a gas station camp Part 1 + Part 2 +
Total weight = 70164 g

Every part could be crafted independently, so the player would be able to craft these parts one-by-one and there will no problem with the weight capacity. Also, after crafting of each part, it should become weightless of its weight have to be reduced by 10 or so, because otherwise it would lead to the creation of the alts, which isn't good for the gameplay.

Since it gives a chance to get a faction base for the lone players and the beginner factions, these factions (players) should be able to buy a faction name after they have built a base from the same guy, that has sold them a scheme. But if they don't want to have a name, they can use the base without of it (this way they wouldn't have a chance to participate in Town Control)

It shouldn't be a big deal to implement this, since adding a new recipe doesn't take much time normally.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2011, 04:44:33 pm by Graf »

Surf

• это моё.
Re: Building a base instead of buying it
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2011, 12:58:08 pm »

I too have thought about this idea already (I believe there are even some scribbles in the repo somewhere) and approve of the idea. Only difference from mine to your idea was that one has to do small quests additionally to the ressources.

Perteks

• It's made of vague and to do lists!
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2011, 01:58:24 pm »

To build a cave:
Total weight = 50982 g
Dynamite should be better than grenades and atleast its idea to only non suisicde bombinb by dynamites :P

And about buying faction names is great idea.

Probably if that idea will be implemented (ofc after wipe when will be that second perks and probably there will be pack rat or strongback) weight limit will be not a problem :P
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2011, 02:06:30 pm »

And for build a Vault? ;D

Perteks

• It's made of vague and to do lists!
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2011, 02:11:45 pm »

And for build a Vault? ;D
dumb question. G.E.C.K. :D

Graf

• "Next Day" developer
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2011, 02:50:34 pm »

Dynamite should be better than grenades and atleast its idea to only non suisicde bombinb by dynamites :P

Yep, I've thought about the dynamite/dynacord stick/plastic explosives, but after a little comparison I've considered them as a pretty rare and hard to get stuff, so I've decided to stay with grenades, which could be activated by pulling out of the linchpin with the rope. Same result, but cheaper and more reliable.

avv

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2011, 03:51:18 pm »

Big gangs will reroll bases anyway until they are where they want them so why not just do this. Makes everything easier for everybody. No longer need to do spawn tents, tent next to every city etc.
Based on evidence collected from various sources by trustworthy attendees it is undisputed veritability that the land ravaged by atomic warfare which caused extreme change of the ecosystem and environmental hazards can be considered unpleasant, rugged and unforgiving.
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2011, 04:39:22 pm »

Could be a nice solution since weight is quite big to include a brahmin who carries all that needed to build the place.

Johnnybravo

• Hey there!
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2011, 05:14:27 pm »

Instead of feeding with random requirements, players should use those items to do stuff (blow a cave, build tent, etc.) But I have absolutely no idea how possible is to change objects in maps to achieve that stuff)
"What is this, I don't even"
"This is your forum."
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2011, 05:18:41 pm »

Instead of feeding with random requirements, players should use those items to do stuff (blow a cave, build tent, etc.) But I have absolutely no idea how possible is to change objects in maps to achieve that stuff)

I think that will be too complicated. Everybody knows what for u need dynamite, so making it like: 'now you have to blow a cave' is usless i think.
But the whole idea of making own base is wonderful :)

Graf

• "Next Day" developer
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2011, 05:50:00 pm »

players should use those items to do stuff

As I've said in the first post - it isn't possible due to fact that the dynamic maps isn't supported by the engine.

Johnnybravo

• Hey there!
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2011, 06:32:35 pm »

As I've said in the first post - it isn't possible due to fact that the dynamic maps isn't supported by the engine.
You can change map while having multiple maps available, making it look phased. Also why wouldn't it be possible to move all the items to new map? (adding illsionary option of upgrade)
"This is your forum."

Surf

• это моё.
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2011, 06:36:06 pm »

You can change map while having multiple maps available, making it look phased. Also why wouldn't it be possible to move all the items to new map? (adding illsionary option of upgrade)

It would eat fuckloads of server memory.

Johnnybravo

• Hey there!
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2011, 06:44:59 pm »

It would eat fuckloads of server memory.
I do not expect server to load any bitmaps, just have the template. Explain how would those take more than several hundreds of kilobytes? You remove unused instances anyway, because there's no longer reason to have them since you made some upgrade.
"This is your forum."
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2011, 09:54:57 pm »

How about the following idea: you bring the necessary contents to a NPC - a base builder/trapper first.

Then, you join his party with some other builders and he leads you to a possible "safe" area, like a trainman, where a base can be built. During that, you encounter critters as usual, and defend the NPCs at all costs. The direction is random - if you don't like the place, the Builder goes to the next random area.

If you want a quicker pace of things, you can help him to repair and refuel his truck, as a separate quest.

Arriving at the site, he will ask you to cover his and his workers back, as he saw some raiders following them. You start guarding the construction site, while the NPCs start working on the base. Some waves of raiders will  arrive, which you have to defeat, while protecting the workers. The map will change between the waves, until the base is erected. The more workers you lose, the more waves you have to defeat.

If you have a character with high skill in your team, you can send him to help the workers. There is a way to procedually change the map without loading a new one. Technically, the changes will work, like animated doors.
So: To open the locked door, you need a lockpick set and high enough skill to open it.
And: To blow up a pile of with crumbling stones animation, you will need a dynamite and traps skill.
Or: To erect a girder, you will need rope and strength requirement.

The animation will turn to static scenery anyway, after the new map loaded after defeated wave or raiders.

So, instead of just paying the man, you get a quest to build your base.
Tell me what you think.
Wasteland is a tricky business.
Pages: [1] 2

Page created in 0.116 seconds with 25 queries.